Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diablo 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Hell is a bit of craic! Nearly level 60 about 80 hrs played and still no sign of a Legendary item :(

Making some good money off the auction house though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

81 hours played, level 60 since this morning, found a legendary bracers 2 days ago, sold to a coop mate for 50k.. they were in the shop for almost 500k at the time...

but oh well.

finally finished hell mode tonight and now onto inferno.. getting 1 shot as a wizard is a pain in the hole.

Also finally found all the pieces for the staff of herding and made it for normal, nightmare and hell mode.

hell mode is impossible! damn ponies kick the hell out of me :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

How do you get it for nightmare & hell? I have it for normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

once you kill azail on act 4 (on individual difficulties, e.g. to get staff for nightmare, kill him on nightmare), you go to the merchant in the bastion keep and buy an upgrade for 1gold.
    give to blacksmith, and costs 200k for nightmare, and 500k for hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Jeez, how are people spending so much time on multiple play throughs already...

I've played about 4 hours so far...on level 15 in normal...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Level 21 Wizard going solo on normal. Loving it. Chain Lightning is the bees knees.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've a lvl29 Wizard and a lvl10 Barbarian. Haven't had much time to play more, but thinking of trying to group up a bit. Should make it more enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

My wizard is level 48 now, just beat it on nightmare so Hell is unlocked. You need to be level 50 to actually start act 1 on hell though so i guess a short bit of grinding is in order. :)

Changed my build quite alot. This is what I'm using now.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#cQXROS!Xdf!YYabbZ

You would think you need a signature move to build some arcane....but you kind of don't. I ended up dropping the signature spell completely and have Arcane Orb on left click. With Tap the Source, it only costs 20 arcane instead of 35 and with an Arcane pool of 140, you can actually spam it alot. Free's up another slot which is gravy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Kirby wrote: »
    My wizard is level 48 now, just beat it on nightmare so Hell is unlocked. You need to be level 50 to actually start act 1 on hell though so i guess a short bit of grinding is in order. :)

Changed my build quite alot. This is what I'm using now.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#cQXROS!Xdf!YYabbZ

You would think you need a signature move to build some arcane....but you kind of don't. I ended up dropping the signature spell completely and have Arcane Orb on left click. With Tap the Source, it only costs 20 arcane instead of 35 and with an Arcane pool of 140, you can actually spam it alot. Free's up another slot which is gravy.

Using this myself

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#acXROm!bcX!aaaaaa

I think not taking MagicMissile with the damage rune is a mistake. Youll get to a point when your attack speed gets pretty high and that does absolutely massive damage, on top of regening alot of Arcane energy.

I know looking at some high level Wizards, most are using Magicb Missile aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Ehh...

Everyone should be aware of this:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149539239
    "an exploit was discovered by duplicating a session ID basically, if you join a public game with people, they can view your session ID and spoof it to login as you without need for a password or email or anyting if you play with people, try not to play in public games bro, only with people you know"

Apparently, This is how the thousands of people have being hacked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Ehh...

Those allegations are false. There's no way someone could obtain that kind of information unless they work directly for the Blizzard investigation team. Anyway, I know for a fact the hacks were not caused by joining Public Games. There has been a MASSIVE hacking attack globally.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

sigh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

I know for a fact the hacks were not caused by joining Public Games. There has been a MASSIVE hacking attack globally.

How could you know this for a fact? Would you not need to be an employee of blizzard investigation team also to know this?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Ehh...

Those allegations are false. There's no way someone could obtain that kind of information unless they work directly for the Blizzard investigation team. Anyway, I know for a fact the hacks were not caused by joining Public Games. There has been a MASSIVE hacking attack globally.

Blizzard employee's use external tools and programs to do this kind of work. I know first hand. All it would take is for a tool to be leaked/given/stolen by a determined group and hey presto.

I would never say "it's definitely this" or "it's definitely not this" regarding this sort of thing. The bottom line is, we don't know how its done.

I have my own theory. All Blizzard games are now logged in through the same username and password.....your battlenet ID. So if somebody has your WoW, Starcraft 2 or Diablo3 info.....they can access all 3. My old wow account has been hacked and accessed a couple of times over the last 2 years which I only noticed when trying to login to Starcraft and had to recover my account. It only takes a few minutes but I had to do it.

I would wager all the Diablo 3 people who have been hacked are old players of WoW. It just seems to fit. WoW is a weak link because of all the websites people visit for info on the game and all the addons people download for it any one of which could have a keylogger in it.

Thats my guess anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭privilegue

Limericks wrote: »
    How could you know this for a fact? Would you not need to be an employee of blizzard investigation team also to know this?

This isnt a "massive" hack attack - these "hackers" are spoofing your sessionID and that's about it. In turn you (if you are online) will get the message you have been disconnected or something and in that time they empty your character.

Important:: This will ONLY happen to currently logged in Characters! They cannot gain access to your other toons as they would generate a new session, alas a new sessionID.

This is a flaw on blizzards side nothing more nothing less.

Because I logged on last night and had lost everything without ever logging into a Public Game. Had to call Customer Service to get it all replaced.

Well, obviously Blizzard uses Warden but what it can gather etc is not fully known. People saying this and that about Public Games is not true.

You could be right with regards to the BNet thing. My personal guess is that the hackers have had the information for quite a while and just decided to do the attack at the launch to get ahead of the game in terms of gold (which, of course makes sense). With regards to old WoW players, I'm not so sure. I played it, yeah, over a year ago but hadn't been hacked before. Albeit I did play with an Authenticator then (and have since added it yesterday). The thing is I use an e-mail exclusively for BNet with a different password than any other e-mail, don't access it on ANY computer than my main one (which has, or at least most probably, doesn't have any viruses or whatever on it) and never actually use the e-mail. I check it every now and then and don't have any spam on it either.

EDIT: I also don't have WoW on my current PC, never did nor ever had any Addons on it. I know it doesn't make a different but what does make a difference is that I had changed my password, twice, when I got this computer so there is no way a keylogger had access to my information based on what I used to have in WoW. It's a really strange scenario.

privilegue wrote: »
    This isnt a "massive" hack attack - these "hackers" are spoofing your sessionID and that's about it. In turn you (if you are online) will get the message you have been disconnected or something and in that time they empty your character. Important:: This will ONLY happen to currently logged in Characters! They cannot gain access to your other toons as they would generate a new session, alas a new sessionID. This is a flaw on blizzards side nothing more nothing less.

My account was accessed while I was watching the Heineken Cup final. I was not logged in at the time.

EDIT: With regards to my spec/stats I'm working on two. I play a Monk in Hell and have been going back and forward to try and obtain two sets of gear.

My first 'main' set of gear is pretty simple. It's a Dex+Damage based spec.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#UYXijQ!YXc!YcYYbb

Everything is pretty basic. It's a maximum Spirit stacking spec where you are basically invulnerable. Works really well on most mobs and combinations.

My second set is still a work in progress but is basically a max Dex, Vit + Life%/return gear with a shield so that I can begin effectively tanking Act bosses on Inferno. I'm guessing I'll need to be looking at around 50K HP before I can pull it off effectively though and I'm a bit of a ways off. With the gold you get from the AH anyway it won't be hard to get gear it's just trying to find the right combinations which is a pain in the ass.

Really enjoying the game though, whether or not it's with a group or I'm running solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

How do you check when your account was accessed?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭MikeyJoyce

This isnt a "massive" hack attack - these "hackers" are spoofing your sessionID and that's about it. In turn you (if you are online) will get the message you have been disconnected or something and in that time they empty your character.

Important:: This will ONLY happen to currently logged in Characters! They cannot gain access to your other toons as they would generate a new session, alas a new sessionID.

This is a flaw on blizzards side nothing more nothing less.

I don't think you should be quoting this as the definte answer when there is absoultly no definte proof to back up your response.

To me it seems like most of the Diablo 3 "hacks" where just keyloggers on peoples machines.

Maybe old wow players and some broken addon or some wow site. If they had your battle.net username and password from wow years ago and you never changed then they have your diablo.

I can't say for sure as i don't have proof but seems to me to be the real reason for this hack.

Not blizzards fault with session id spoofing or anything.

My account was accessed while I was watching the Heineken Cup final. I was not logged in at the time.

Then I am afraid it is very likely that they have had your account details for some time.

Do you use Authenticator / SMS protect from bnet? And as a last have you played WoW and have been hacked there?

And may I say this before any naysayers come along - you would not be able to use the tools that GMs are provided with as you would have to connect to the servers from inside the Blizzard offices - meaning you would have to be inside the same network as the Blizz GMs and connect to that very same auth server (that is only reachable from within that network)

I won't elaborate on how I know this - :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

dorgasm wrote: »

Check if your characters are nude?

Then I am afraid it is very likely that they have had your account details for some time.

Do you use Authenticator / SMS protect from bnet? And as a last have you played WoW and have been hacked there?

And may I say this before any naysayers come along - you would not be able to use the tools that GMs are provided with as you would have to connect to the servers from inside the Blizzard offices - meaning you would have to be inside the same network as the Blizz GMs and connect to that very same auth server (that is only reachable from within that network)

I won't elaborate on how I know this - :)
    \

Yes, I absolutely believe they did have the details for quite a while. However, as I said before I find it's quite strange given the circumstances (as explain in the post above).

I received an e-mail from Blizzard saying my account had been locked due to suspicious activity. I just rang them to confirm.

EDIT: Yeah, I use an Auth now. Just added my old one last night. My quote from above:
    With regards to old WoW players, I'm not so sure. I played it, yeah, over a year ago but hadn't been hacked before. Albeit I did play with an Authenticator then (and have since added it yesterday). The thing is I use an e-mail exclusively for BNet with a different password than any other e-mail, don't access it on ANY computer than my main one (which has, or at least most probably, doesn't have any viruses or whatever on it) and never actually use the e-mail. I check it every now and then and don't have any spam on it either.

EDIT: I also don't have WoW on my current PC, never did nor ever had any Addons on it. I know it doesn't make a different but what does make a difference is that I had changed my password, twice, when I got this computer so there is no way a keylogger had access to my information based on what I used to have in WoW. It's a really strange scenario.

I have no doubts they had the information for a long time but the problem is that I've changed it at least three times in the last year and don't access the e-mail outside of what I consider a 'secure' PC. I don't even use it regularly and the password for my e-mail is different to any other password I use and is definitely different to my BNet password.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭MikeyJoyce

Blizzard's reply.
    We'd like to take a moment to address the recent reports that suggested that Battle.net® and Diablo® III may have been compromised. Historically, the release of a new game -- such as a World of Warcraft® expansion -- will result in an increase in reports of individual account compromises, and that's exactly what we're seeing now with Diablo III. We know how frustrating it can be to become the victim of account theft, and as always, we're dedicated to doing everything we can to help our players keep their Battle.net accounts safe -- and we appreciate everyone who's doing their part to help protect their accounts as well. You can read about ways to help keep your account secure, along with some of the internal and external measures we have in place to help us achieve our security goals, at our account security website here: www.battle.net/security.

We also wanted to reassure you that the Battle.net Authenticator and Battle.net Mobile Authenticator (a free app for iPhone and Android devices) continue to be some of the most effective measures we offer to help players protect themselves against account compromises, and we encourage everyone to take advantage of them. In addition, we also recently introduced a new service called Battle.net SMS Protect, which allows you to use your text-enabled cell phone to unlock a locked Battle.net account, recover your account name, approve a password reset, or remove a lost Authenticator. Optionally, you can set up the Battle.net SMS Protect system to send you a text message whenever unusual activity is detected on your account, keeping you aware of important (and possibly unwanted) changes.

For more information on the Authenticator, visit http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/battle-net-authenticator-faq

For more on the Battle.net Mobile Authenticator, visit http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/battle-net-mobile-authenticator-faq

For more on Battle.net SMS Protect, visit http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/battlenet-sms-protect

We also have other measures built into Battle.net to help protect players. Occasionally, when Battle.net detects unusual login activity that differs from your normal behavior -- such as logging in from an unfamiliar location -- we may prompt you for additional information (such as the answer to one of your security questions) and/or require you to perform a password reset through the Battle.net website. World of Warcraft players might be familiar with this security method already, and Diablo III players may begin to encounter it as well.

As always, if you think you've been the victim of an account compromise, head to the "Help! I've Been Hacked!" tool at http://us.battle.net/en/security/help for assistance.

MikeyJoyce wrote: »
    Blizzard's reply.

Dont pay any attention to that - these are standard replies that are sent via click of a button...

At the moment Blizzard is playing the innocent child which drives me nuts - guys who work for ActiBlizz know whats up and that it is indeed an issue - then again these people are not allowed to talk on the forums about it... If they do they will be fired for violating the NDA they signed.

And who wants to lose their job these days?

Dont pay any attention to that - these are standard replies that are sent via click of a button...

At the moment Blizzard is playing the innocent child which drives me nuts - guys who work for ActiBlizz know whats up and that it is indeed an issue - then again these people are not allowed to talk on the forums about it... If they do they will be fired for violating the NDA they signed.

And who wants to lose their job these days?

Most GM's are, or at least were when I spoke to them, pretty lenient on what they talk about. They obviously can't tell you where the account was accessed from but will give you most of the details. It's definitely different on the forums, like you said, where it's all a standard response. I also don't like this support feature they use through BNet because it's not as 'personal' as it was on WoW which made obtaining information a lot easier.

But yeah, it's pretty normal for a mass wave of attacks to happen at the start though.

Most GM's are, or at least were when I spoke to them, pretty lenient on what they talk about. They obviously can't tell you where the account was accessed from but will give you most of the details. It's definitely different on the forums, like you said, where it's all a standard response. I also don't like this support feature they use through BNet because it's not as 'personal' as it was on WoW which made obtaining information a lot easier.

But yeah, it's pretty normal for a mass wave of attacks to happen at the start though.

Just take a look at when the RMAH (Real Money Auction House) is now scheduled for released. They just pushed it back by another 3 days and changed the text that says "Expected release.", meaning giving them options to delay even further if that fix for this security loophole takes longer than expected.

The problem with implementing fixes for this kind of thing is, that this is part of the engine / base code and making changes to this has to be taken into serious consideration, as while they may have patched one flaw they also might create another (much more serious one).

To be honest, I don't see that RMAH coming to the game anytime soon if Blizz does the right thing.

Anyways I hope you do get your account sorted again, and maybe a rollback will be ok for you?

And for those of you that may be wondering how that authentication with the Authenticator actually works. Take a look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSA_%28algorithm%29

Just take a look at when the RMAH (Real Money Auction House) is now scheduled for released. They just pushed it back by another 3 days and changed the text that says "Expected release.", meaning giving them options to delay even further if that fix for this security loophole takes longer than expected.

The problem with implementing fixes for this kind of thing is, that this is part of the engine / base code and making changes to this has to be taken into serious consideration, as while they may have patched one flaw they also might create another (much more serious one).

To be honest, I don't see that RMAH coming to the game anytime soon if Blizz does the right thing.

Anyways I hope you do get your account sorted again, and maybe a rollback will be ok for you?

I already got the rollback -- they rolled it back pretty far which was surprising but whatever. I live in NA so I just called their customer support and got it sorted immediately.

I already got the rollback -- they rolled it back pretty far which was surprising but whatever. I live in NA so I just called their customer support and got it sorted immediately.

Good stuff, well I hope your account stays safe now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Monks are totally broken on inferno after Act 1 :/

Advertisement