Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diablo 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Still doesn't address the issues of absolutely requiring so many purely defensive skills in later Inferno.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Ugh. Cant believe I'm installing this game again. Having loads of games to play and Guild Wars 2 just around the corner i'm installing this again. That's how much i want to believe in you Diablo! If only the patch notes included "Removed Auction House from the game" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So still no answer. Will it be live for tomorrow day or will it be love only late at night?

Looks like I will be gone in diablo3 slave farms :(. I enjoyed freedom of choosing what to play, when I wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

While I appreciate the re-balancing effort, the Auction House just makes playing the game pointless for me. The thrill of hunting for a new item is just gone if you can buy it instead. And currently the only reason to replay the same content over and over is item hunting.

Game needs another act. New content will get people playing again. Level 100 is a good idea but it should have started that way. I can't see alot of people returning to farm Act 1 inferno again for another 100 hours.

It's a pass for me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

RopeDrink wrote: »
    It doesn't add anything new, just gives more reason to rinse and repeat.

Which is exactly what a lot of people seem to want. Not sure why though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I was just thinking today they should of left the Skill runes as unique items as like in DII.

For me this would of been a HUGE incentive to keep playing. Imagine having a skill in a game no one else has or has even seen yet.

Of course, even with this idea....the auction house would have ruined it by flooding the market and making them ''UN-unique''

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Like others have said I genuinely can't understand how some superfluous levels would motivate anyone to come back playing?

They add absolutely nothing but an unnecessary grind which imo is just another bad idea from a dev team who clearly don't understand their playerbase or why their game has completely died. The skill changes are pretty terrible as well. They buffed the damage of alot of unused skills but they didn't address the real issue which is classes need to stack nothing but defensive skills to compete at end game.

I want / wanted D3 to be a success more than anyone but the AH just flat out killed everything that the Diablo franchise is about, Item hunting and trading. Add to that the fact that the best way to farm gold was to sit on the AH refreshing item lists to repost for a profit has made it so actually playing the game is pointless.

I hoped after Jay Wilson publically stated changes were needed he would at least learn from his mistakes but he obviously hasn't and I'm afraid the curtain has now fallen on this great franchise. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Has there been any numbers released on the drop off in users?
    I played the game non-stop for about a month after it came out, maybe a little longer, but haven't touched it in at least a month now and that seems to be the case with most people. Has anyone here been playing at all recently?

These changes mostly seem like a good idea and the game would've been slightly better at launch with them but the horse has already bolted by the looks of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

The most recent player on my friends list was 2 weeks ago, Most are over a month since last login:P

So played for a bit, Got 4 inventories of loot and vendored it all before leaving. I can not see any difference really, What they did was increase the pool of good loot available however due to market saturation what was considered good loot when we played is now most likely vendor material so it evens out:D

sorry lads. i really dont understand the whole moaning.

Going to play diablo game and not expecting a grind, is the same as going to Irish chipper and not find chips in the menu.

Diablo is based on grind. some people enjoy it, some not, but hate the game just because it is ment to be that way is wrong. there are just games, which are done badly and games which are done right.

i personally love some grindy games now and then and the new paragon 100 level system is great. it will make HC satisfying again, because they can grow pass lvl 60 now. additional stats is a lovely bonus.
    the main thing that i wanted them to fix - make legendaries legendaries again and hopefully this patch will do it.

i will dig in to the diablo 3 again and see where it will get me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Act 2 Inferno is deffo easier now but not hugely. Picked up a legendry too. Strangely it seems mana regen is a lot slower on my WD though.:mad:

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Shadow, you're confusing the 'diswant of grind' for the simple fact that grinding is pointless through the AH.

I played D1 and D2 for years, happily grinding, because when you got something 'better' it was worth it. In D3 this isn't the case because you can get mostly whatever you want/need simply by browsing the AH.

For me, grinding has now become about 'gold' / 'profit' and not 'items', because chances are with enough money you can buy your way to the better.

So, with that in mind, they've now added another 40 levels... This doesn't actually do anything other than add miniscule progress through grinding because the content is exactly the same. Wont matter to me if I'm level 60, 70, 80, 90 or 100 I'd still likely keep farming A1 Inferno with the added MF change because it's easily more profitable than trying to progress or farm harder Acts.

So no, don't give this 'How did you not expect a grind?' speech because that doesn't fly when you compare D3 to D1 or D2.

diablo 2 was a grind fest and diablo 3 is a grind fest. just take off the rose tinted nostalgia glasses and have a look.

i had grinded **** loads of stuff on diablo 2, but i never ever had grinded a full set of what i wanted. i wanted a full set natalies and most of it came from tradeing stuff i mfed. so the only difference now is that you use gold and not found items to get what you want.

yes, i loved to jump from trade to trade channel and hunting down items i wanted, but its gone now. Diablo 3 is not perfect and has its own flaws, but its not worse content wise then diablo 2 by a long long long shot.

just because you had fun playing diablo 2 back then ( i know i had ), that does not mean it is awesome and great game now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

RopeDrink makes perfect valid point when saying that you can buy anything you want from the AH now, but there are a lot of players who don't use this to improve their stats.

RopeDrink makes perfect valid point when saying that you can buy anything you want from the AH now, but there are a lot of players who don't use this to improve their stats.

if he is completely bashing diablo 3, because of the AH, then there is one very simple fix for it. it might sound very crazy, but it is so CRAZY, that it can actually work! you know what that is?
    DONT USE AH! :pac:

yes, diablo 3 is suffering because of AH, but it has a lot of things that it does way better then diablo 2. Keep in mind we are comparing late build of diablo 2, to early biuld of diablo 3. diablo 2 became a lot damm better only when it became more mature and after countless patches and fixes. diablo 3 is being updated and this new patch is a step the right direction.

Completely agree, with all games it takes time. No game is perfect off the bat. I've seen people bitch, moan, quit, rage countless times across countless games.

Diablo 3 is no exception. People will play again when its balanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Yeah, the game just isn't rewarding enough to grind anymore.. for me anyway. I've put about 150-200hours into the game, so I've gotten my moneys worth (plus the 150 or so i earned from it !)... but overall i'd have to say im disappointed with how it turned out. It was so close to being awesome, but the loot system, AH and a couple of other things completely ruined any longevity for me.

You can say that you don't have to use the AH.. but really it would take an age to get a half decent set, never-mind an uber one... and besides, most of the fun in these types of games is knowing that your character is a badass, showing your friends how awesome you gear is and bating the ****e out of noobs.

You can say that not every game is perfect off the bat.. the problem with diablo is that those problems can't simply be undone now. At least not until a major content patch.. in which they'd have to increase the level cap and make all the current gear obsolete.

I was hoping pre-release that D3 would be a 2000hr + game for me, over many years.. i doubt i'll play it again at this stage.

well i just got my first paragon level. btw its not extra 40 levels on top of 60, its extra 100 levels of paragon on top of 60.

doing mf runs and having experience is a lot more satisfying.

btw they renamed items, which are post patch. there are 2 version nows: legacy and non legacy. by the looks of it new legendaries are a lot better and have a base stats. it is very good idea for set items. it was really stupid to gr some barbarian set item with **** loads of intelect and no STR.

diablo 2 was a grind fest and diablo 3 is a grind fest. just take off the rose tinted nostalgia glasses and have a look.

i had grinded **** loads of stuff on diablo 2, but i never ever had grinded a full set of what i wanted. i wanted a full set natalies and most of it came from tradeing stuff i mfed. so the only difference now is that you use gold and not found items to get what you want.

yes, i loved to jump from trade to trade channel and hunting down items i wanted, but its gone now. Diablo 3 is not perfect and has its own flaws, but its not worse content wise then diablo 2 by a long long long shot.

just because you had fun playing diablo 2 back then ( i know i had ), that does not mean it is awesome and great game now.
    if he is completely bashing diablo 3, because of the AH, then there is one very simple fix for it. it might sound very crazy, but it is so CRAZY, that it can actually work! you know what that is?
    DONT USE AH! :pac:

yes, diablo 3 is suffering because of AH, but it has a lot of things that it does way better then diablo 2. Keep in mind we are comparing late build of diablo 2, to early biuld of diablo 3. diablo 2 became a lot damm better only when it became more mature and after countless patches and fixes. diablo 3 is being updated and this new patch is a step the right direction.

Shadow you are missing the point completely. A grind is absolutely fine if it is ultimately rewarding and worthwhile. Adding superfluous levels that do nothing but allow you to feel like you are working towards a goal does nothing to address the real problems that have killed the game.

At the end of the day the fact of the matter is the best form of grinding or farming in the game to increase personal wealth is to play the AH to make your gold / euros. You also say "Don't use the AH" but you know damn well doing that completely gimps you and the entire point of the game is too work towards gearing up as best you can and having bragging rights with friends etc.

When I sit down to play a game like this I have an insatiable hunger to be the best geared player possible, with time constraints I realistically can't do that but you can be damn sure I will do everything I can to at least try. That basically amounted to hours of staring at the AH which is the complete opposite of what a game should be; fun. And the biggest problem; once you completed the game, your goal becomes to get better and better gear so even if I have spent 6 hours on the AH, made some decent gold and picked up some fantastic upgrades there's no incentive for me to even start a game and use the new upgrades past checking DPS numbers as they still don't help the core issue that I have to go back to the AH to continue to progress towards my goal.

I have an extremely well geared monk, far better than 99% of the playing population but I got the gear from sitting on the AH for hours instead of actually playing the game itself. I would guess my actual playtime on the Monk is only about 40 hours or so as I have no incentive to do anything other than check my auctions / do my usual AH searches as I simply can't farm in game knowing i'm being counter productive doing it.

Now I know not everyone is the same and some are happy to constantly farm Act1 but alot of people are like me and that's the problem...

sorry lads. i really dont understand the whole moaning.

Going to play diablo game and not expecting a grind, is the same as going to Irish chipper and not find chips in the menu.

Diablo is based on grind. some people enjoy it, some not, but hate the game just because it is ment to be that way is wrong. there are just games, which are done badly and games which are done right.

i personally love some grindy games now and then and the new paragon 100 level system is great. it will make HC satisfying again, because they can grow pass lvl 60 now. additional stats is a lovely bonus.
    the main thing that i wanted them to fix - make legendaries legendaries again and hopefully this patch will do it.

i will dig in to the diablo 3 again and see where it will get me.

Agreed. Grinding is fine, so long as it is fun, interesting and gives a sense of progress. The 'feeling of progress' bit that was missing as you hit a brick wall in difficulty. Along with the fact that 99% of your gear ends up coming from the AH ruins the 'fun' in finding new items.

Give a sense of progress, remove the AH and this game would be truly superb.

Big Knox wrote: »
    Shadow you are missing the point completely. A grind is absolutely fine if it is ultimately rewarding and worthwhile. Adding superfluous levels that do nothing but allow you to feel like you are working towards a goal does nothing to address the real problems that have killed the game.

At the end of the day the fact of the matter is the best form of grinding or farming in the game to increase personal wealth is to play the AH to make your gold / euros. You also say "Don't use the AH" but you know damn well doing that completely gimps you and the entire point of the game is too work towards gearing up as best you can and having bragging rights with friends etc.

When I sit down to play a game like this I have an insatiable hunger to be the best geared player possible, with time constraints I realistically can't do that but you can be damn sure I will do everything I can to at least try. That basically amounted to hours of staring at the AH which is the complete opposite of what a game should be; fun. And the biggest problem; once you completed the game, your goal becomes to get better and better gear so even if I have spent 6 hours on the AH, made some decent gold and picked up some fantastic upgrades there's no incentive for me to even start a game and use the new upgrades past checking DPS numbers as they still don't help the core issue that I have to go back to the AH to continue to progress towards my goal.

I have an extremely well geared monk, far better than 99% of the playing population but I got the gear from sitting on the AH for hours instead of actually playing the game itself. I would guess my actual playtime on the Monk is only about 40 hours or so as I have no incentive to do anything other than check my auctions / do my usual AH searches as I simply can't farm in game knowing i'm being counter productive doing it.

Now I know not everyone is the same and some are happy to constantly farm Act1 but alot of people are like me and that's the problem...

you can put your underpants on your head, it will make you warm, but that thats not how it should be used.
    If you find it more rewarding to play buy/sell game on AH, then it is your own fault for not enjoying the game they way it was ment. yes i could do that too, but after 130h++ i did not do that, because i played the way it was ment to be. I farmed a lot of items for my barbarian who was not even made. I already had items waiting for her to use on certain levels and on level 60.
    like any other game it depends from you, how you will play it and how you will enjoy it. if you shooting yourself in a foot, by just playing some mini economy game, then dont get surprised that the rest of the experience suffers.
    I liked to play my residnet evil 2 game as it was intended. no cheats, no infinite ammo, no rocket launchers at start. i enjoyed it that way. on the other hand i had a friend who played resident evil 2 with special hacked saves, which gave him all infinite ammo and all weapons. he finished game, played a bit more and just got bored of it and walked away, wheres i played the living bejaysus out of it and doing fast runs, 2 save only runs, no save runs etc.

One person in CS go thread said a great thing: no matter what way they would have done new CS go, there will be always moaners. Same is diablo and other big name games, who try to outperform theyr originals.
    We got the diablo 3, the way it is now. you got AH and there is a horde of moaners who say that it is ruining game and that they dont have self control not to use it.
    Now if there would be no AH in diablo 3, we would get a horde of moaners who will say " oh my ****ing god, its 21st century blizzard!!! could you not implement some system where i could put my items for sale or browse other people items , so i dont need to jump from trade channel 1 to 5931 to find Soulcage with perfect stats? :pac: "

there is no WIN WIN situation in current gaming world, because gamers became spoiled ****s. If you dont like the game, dont play it. If you got faith in game, then keep an eye on patches ( which as we see blizzard does ). you dont like game? then dont moan how crap it is and move on. you dont see me moaning on Cod forum and reminding everyone how crap MW3 is.

* not aimed directly at you or ropedrink or other poster, i am talking in general.

• Advertisement

you can put your underpants on your head, it will make you warm, but that thats not how it should be used.
    If you find it more rewarding to play buy/sell game on AH, then it is your own fault for not enjoying the game they way it was ment. yes i could do that too, but after 130h++ i did not do that, because i played the way it was ment to be. I farmed a lot of items for my barbarian who was not even made. I already had items waiting for her to use on certain levels and on level 60.
    like any other game it depends from you, how you will play it and how you will enjoy it. if you shooting yourself in a foot, by just playing some mini economy game, then dont get surprised that the rest of the experience suffers.
    I liked to play my residnet evil 2 game as it was intended. no cheats, no infinite ammo, no rocket launchers at start. i enjoyed it that way. on the other hand i had a friend who played resident evil 2 with special hacked saves, which gave him all infinite ammo and all weapons. he finished game, played a bit more and just got bored of it and walked away, wheres i played the living bejaysus out of it and doing fast runs, 2 save only runs, no save runs etc.

One person in CS go thread said a great thing: no matter what way they would have done new CS go, there will be always moaners. Same is diablo and other big name games, who try to outperform theyr originals.
    We got the diablo 3, the way it is now. you got AH and there is a horde of moaners who say that it is ruining game and that they dont have self control not to use it.
    Now if there would be no AH in diablo 3, we would get a horde of moaners who will say " oh my ****ing god, its 21st century blizzard!!! could you not implement some system where i could put my items for sale or browse other people items , so i dont need to jump from trade channel 1 to 5931 to find Soulcage with perfect stats? :pac: "

there is no WIN WIN situation in current gaming world, because gamers became spoiled ****s. If you dont like the game, dont play it. If you got faith in game, then keep an eye on patches ( which as we see blizzard does ). you dont like game? then dont moan how crap it is and move on. you dont see me moaning on Cod forum and reminding everyone how crap MW3 is.

* not aimed directly at you or ropedrink or other poster, i am talking in general.

I did state this was my own downfall being like this and having that "have to be the best" mentality but the fact is 95% of the playerbase has quit the game for similar reasons. I applaud you for being able to stick to your principles but the majority of players don't want an experience where to get fun out of the game while also being competitive they have to set themselves rules within the game.

Also again with your bit in bold you aren't really hearing what we are saying. I like the game, I think Blizzard done a great job with the core mechanics and I really enjoyed my time playing it. D3 was my most anticipated game of all time. I put countless hours into Diablo and Diablo2 and have been a massive fan of the franchise since day one but we have every right to complain when Blizzard completely messes up the franchise by adding in this RMAH with nothing but making money on their agenda and in turn killing the game.

Big Knox wrote: »
    I did state this was my own downfall being like this and having that "have to be the best" mentality but the fact is 95% of the playerbase has quit the game for similar reasons. I applaud you for being able to stick to your principles but the majority of players don't want an experience where to get fun out of the game while also being competitive they have to set themselves rules within the game.

Also again with your bit in bold you aren't really hearing what we are saying. I like the game, I think Blizzard done a great job with the core mechanics and I really enjoyed my time playing it. D3 was my most anticipated game of all time. I put countless hours into Diablo and Diablo2 and have been a massive fan of the franchise since day one but we have every right to complain when Blizzard completely messes up the franchise by adding in this RMAH with nothing but making money on their agenda and in turn killing the game.

i am a diablo fan since it start. i even played the living bejaysus out of PS1 version of diablo 1! 10 blocks on memory card! the tings i did for love diablo! :o
    i am playing a lot of diablo 3 today and i really love it again. the idea alone that i can finally find legendaries, which dont suck donkeys arse. i love to know that i am getting XP again and i get benefit of MF and stats out of it. its not just a run for gold or items. these simple things makes my experience a lot more fun.
    all day i only looked in to AH on how new legandaries work and thats it. havent bought a single item.

trust me, i could moan all day on bad things in diablo 3, but there are good things in it too that i love to focus on.
    you know the way they say: " hope dies last ". I do realise and i know diablo 3 has problems, but i am sure blizzard will iron it out properly. This patch did a lot of moves in to good direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Give a sense of progress, remove the AH and this game would be truly superb.

I'm not sure - I agree with an awful lot of what's been said - but on the AH I'm not sure.

Do you really mean you'd switch D3 back to a Single player experience and make the loot Bind on Account?

Because the D2 alternative of "trading" and being scammed on a strange combination of websites - and a barter system of trading rooms full of spam would be in my opinion a non starter for a modern game like D3 - and rightly so for the vast majority of people who want to play a game and trade efficiently.

Maybe people are nostalgic for those 3rd party sites and trade rooms but I for one am not - ugh!

And to be honest - Bind on account would ruin the community aspect of it - you play the game with just the stuff you find - I'm sure given the work done it would not be hard for blizzard to add that mode - "Roll your own mode" no AH or trading of any kind but I don't think it would be popular.

well all the **** aside.

i played quite a bit today.

i am 3 bars away from my second paragon level. farmed act 1 butcher on my barb. They increased drops by a lot. i have to do way more trips back to town to sell ****. nothing worth a fortune today, but i did found a silly polearm with 1050dps and 316 str lol.

i have seen on AH a grandfather with 1550 DPS and bombarded with stats! :eek: One day... one day....

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Sapele

Act 2 Inferno is deffo easier now but not hugely. Picked up a legendry too. Strangely it seems mana regen is a lot slower on my WD though.:mad:

Actually i think mana regen is faster, just not if ur using vision quest, they have changed that up competely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

So far the patch has impressed me. Playing a level 56 Softcore WD and there are drops galore. Found my first legendary in over 230 hours of playtime since launch (lotsa hardcore deaths :rolleyes:)

The reason i stopped playing the game was that the scroll stuttering was getting on my nerves plus randomly after a small patch my FPS would drop from 60+ down to 10. Working my way through Act 2 Hell at the moment and im blowin **** up. Big damage increase right across the board for the WD. Will see how well it works out in Inferno but i have watched one WD stream with the streamer playing a pet build and it seems viable.

So far the patch has impressed me. Playing a level 56 Softcore WD and there are drops galore. Found my first legendary in over 230 hours of playtime since launch (lotsa hardcore deaths :rolleyes:)

The reason i stopped playing the game was that the scroll stuttering was getting on my nerves plus randomly after a small patch my FPS would drop from 60+ down to 10. Working my way through Act 2 Hell at the moment and im blowin **** up. Big damage increase right across the board for the WD. Will see how well it works out in Inferno but i have watched one WD stream with the streamer playing a pet build and it seems viable.

Yeah, WD is actually fun now, and viable. Pets are decent, and there are more useful skills now.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ChubbyHubby

Most of the changes are good. The paragon levels are not superfluous. It's a bonus reward for people who keeps playing in inferno in order to beat it or get more loot. Main stats gets 3 points so you get an extra 300 of your main stats and 300% mf and gf if you can be bothered getting to level 100.

The paragon levels also gives you a sense of progression if you kill stuff for an hour and didn't find anything good. Wasting time killing stuff is kinda the main point of this kind of game. Loot hunting is just gives you another reason to kill stuff. Better loot just lets you kill faster especially in the latter inferno acts.

The skill changes gives you alternative build options for killing stuff which is mostly great. That is if you are still playing the game instead of obsessively making gold like a gold farmer. There will never be a fix for people who obsessively made money through the auction house and can faceroll the game already because of access to overpowered gear.

Speaking of overpowered gear, have you seen those new lengendary shenlong fist weapons? Want those for my monk.

gotta get me one of those double socket manticore xbow's....

• Advertisement

I can't believe i am saying this, but I can't wait to get back home and play Diablo 3 again! :D

Daddy needs that "grandfather"!!!

Advertisement