Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

seeing counsellor for first time

Options
  • 09-12-2011 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Mods I'm sorry if this is the wrong place, just thought I'd get more people replying here who'd been through it.

So I went into the student health centre today to book myself an appt with a counsellor. Theres a waiting list, probably no appointment til January, maybe February.

I'm nervous :(

What's counselling like? I've no idea what to do or say. I'm kinda scared about it really. I don't want there to be anything wrong with me but I suspect there is. Do student counselling services ever make a dx or do they just tell you your options?

Money is tight at the moment, can't afford private. Worried they'd put me on some meds that I couldn't afford. Can't talk to family about it either or get the health insurance details off them. I'm the strong one, I shouldn't have anything wrong with me. Don't live with them anymore though, hence why it's ok for me to finally see someone.

I'm a big bag of worry and nerves right now. Can anyone ease my mind? Please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

they will ask what brings you there to see them, what are you having difficulty with and so on, things like that. The more open and honest you are with them the quicker you can get to the root of your problems and difficulties and devise a strategy to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Don't worry about money, counsellors can't prescribe you medicine; they're psychologists, not psychiatrists.

Student counsellors are there to listen and help you work through your problems. They are there to help and just want you to open up and talk about your problems and go from there. As difficult as it first seems to talk to a complete stranger about your problems, it really is for the best. Getting all your problems out is the only way you can begin to get to the bottom of them and then work up from there.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭flossie

Exhausting. Emotional.

I've had some counselling before and it really was both of the above. Don't plan on anything the day you have it, or the day after. For me, I cried (lots) and was mentally exhausted. However, it did help me find out a lot about who I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,926 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

My first session left me exhausted. I actually had no recollection of what happened that day apart from the session as it was the only thing on my mind. I feel tired just thinking about it!

Don't hold back though. They know when you do, at least mine did.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

The thing to remember about counceling is that it can leave you feeling worse at first. I cried in the college bathroom after a couple of sessions.

But it gets better as you go on. Its kinda like having a chat with a friend if you find a good counselor you get on with. The first counselor I went to I hated and swore off counselling for good. But I said there's no harm in trying another person and I got on well with her. You'll know yourself after a couple of sessions if their methods/personality work for you.

Its nothing like on tv when you see people going to psychiatrists trying to analyse you. Its more like they are chatting, but trying to make you realise yourself what is bothering you, rather than offering explanations themselves.

It can be a bit scary at first. I didn't like the little box of tissues right next to my chair. And sometimes the questions can be difficult to answer. But give it a good chance, it might really work for you.

A counselor can't do anything about medication. Mine didn't really even talk too much about it either. They aren't qualified for that, and would need to sit down with your gp even to just discuss it. Only time we spoke about it was when I brought up my feelings about taking my meds.

You will be nervous before you go in but it will be fine! Hope the counselor suits you and it wall goes well :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Don't worry about money, counsellors can't prescribe you medicine; they're psychologists, not psychiatrists.

you're right that counsellors can't prescribe meds. however, not all counsellors are psychologists. there's a lot of info in the psychology forum about finding an appropriately trained and registered counsellor.

best of luck.

Advertisement