Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hearing Aid Grant

Options
  • 09-12-2011 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

Maybe good news for some of you..

Minister Joan Burton announced in her Budget 2012 speech this week.

This week Minister Joan Burton announced in her 2012 Budget speech changes to the Treatment Benefit Grant (PRSI Grant) for hearing aids.

The Treatment Benefit Scheme is available to workers and retired people who have made the required number of PRSI contributions.

Most people thought the grant would disappear altogether so it’s good news that the grant is still available for those who qualify.The frequency of the grant for hearing aids will change from 2 years to 4 years. The grant changes are as follows:
    The maximum grant available for one hearing aid will change from €760 to €500 and from €1,520 to €1,000 for two hearing aids.

These changes will come into place in January 2012. Your hearing aid Audiologist can explain your grant entitlements to you and if you act fast you may still be able to take advantage of the current scheme which could save you up to €1520. If you would like further information contact >snip<

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Hidden Hearing are reputed to be among the most expensive provider of this service.
    Cheaper options elsewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

Agree with the above....Just got my set from DeafHear for a lot less than Hidden Hearing where quoting! I got the grant before it changed too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

where is best place to get tested and get aid
    live in wicklow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

The grant is available at max €760 per aid until Jan 1
    Then it is reduced to max €500 per aid

If you're in the market
    Shop around ...but work fast and you will save a few euro before the grant is reduced

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Check SpecSavers: they did a "buy one, get one free" offer a while back for hearing aids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭looksee

the_syco wrote: »
    Check SpecSavers: they did a "buy one, get one free" offer a while back for hearing aids.

I use Specsaver for glasses, but was rather unimpressed by the information given there by the audiologist, which turned out either to be inaccurate, or the aids they were offering were not as sophisticated as others available.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

looksee wrote: »
    I use Specsaver for glasses, but was rather unimpressed by the information given there by the audiologist, which turned out either to be inaccurate, or the aids they were offering were not as sophisticated as others available.
    Aye, I didn't really look into it as I had already gotten two from Bonovox a couple of years ago. As for the unsophisticated aids, it'd explain how they'd get away with the "two for one" offer. BTW, where they analogue or digital aids when you checked?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭I made the BBC

the_syco wrote: »
    Aye, I didn't really look into it as I had already gotten two from Bonovox a couple of years ago. As for the unsophisticated aids, it'd explain how they'd get away with the "two for one" offer. BTW, where they analogue or digital aids when you checked?

They're all digital in SS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Fully agree. The advice and support was so poor from Specsavers that I invoked the 90 day money back guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Hill123

Maybe good news for some of you..

an u give me more info on hearing aid grants.
    i need 2.
    got tested last year.
    cannot afford them at the moment.
    thanking u hill123.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Hill123 wrote: »
    an u give me more info on hearing aid grants.
    i need 2.
    got tested last year.
    cannot afford them at the moment.
    thanking u hill123.

The information given in this thread is pretty well all there is. You would need to go to an audiologist and they would be able to organise the grant. In very general terms a hearing aid will cost you around €1,000 to €1,500 or more, the grant reduces each aid by €500.

Advertisement