Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thread is locked and I don't know by who or why

Options
  • 09-12-2011 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭

Could someone please explain this to me.

I posted the following below on the Dispute Forum and got a very unhelpful reply. As stated clearly, I do NOT KNOW who closed the thread as is was just locked. That is why I posted it in dispute as it is a dispute, yet I do not know who I am dealing with.

A more helpful reply would be appreciated, if that is at all possible.

Thread from Dispute Resolution here:

Hi there

The other day I read yet another thread in PI by someone trying to get to grips with the fact he is gay. These threads of people's struggles, anxiety and sometimes suicidal thoughts will be well documented and not unfamiliar to regular posters on PI.

So yesterday I started a thread in the Christianity forum about homosexuality and Christianity. I started the thread because I was struggling with the notion that someone should feel outcast, judged etc because they have a predisposition to wanting physical relations with the same sex.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056477223

The thread was going well, plenty of comments and then suddently it was locked.

I have no idea by who or why so am not sure how to go about dispute resolution.

In my opinion, closing a thread should be something that is explained. Not just simply locked.

For what it is worth, I have received PMs from several posters on that thread wanting to discuss my thread in more detail via PM as the thread was closed.

I am a long-time poster on boards. I am not a piss-taker by any means, and I would appreciate an explanation.

Locking a thread without explanation or, at the very least a PM to the OP, is spiteful and juvenile.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Pm the mods of the forum enmass and ask them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Sharrow wrote: »
    Pm the mods of the forum enmass and ask them.

Thanks, will do that.

Perhaps there is a lesson to be learnt here. If a Mod feels so strongly that a thread shold be closed, perhaps putting their name to the action would save an awful lot of hassle.

I still maintain an explanation for closing a thread should be mandatory. It's the decent and respectful thing to do when people have taken the time to post and reply to posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Could someone please explain this to me.

I posted the following below on the Dispute Forum and got a very unhelpful reply. As stated clearly, I do NOT KNOW who closed the thread as is was just locked. That is why I posted it in dispute as it is a dispute, yet I do not know who I am dealing with.

The DRP is for disputing an infraction or ban. if you wish to query a thread closure you should PM the mods of the forum you were posting in. usually, but not always, a mod will post a reason why the thread is being closed before hitting the lock thread button. In this case, a reason wasnt posted. The mod you need to contact is PDN.

Locking a thread without explanation or, at the very least a PM to the OP, is spiteful and juvenile.

sometimes the mods dont have timeto post before closing a thread, especially if it is something controversial or illegal that has been reported. I sincerely doubt the mod intended any insult or offense to you and possibly has a reason that you will find acceptable. I doubt whether the motivation for the closing of the thread or not leaving a closing note was spite or any form of juvenile behaviour.

As posted above, PM the mod and dont automatically jump to a worst case scenario. Best option in my experience is to assume that the mod had a reason until you get a response and then decide based on the response. anything before you hear back is speculation and may colour your interpretation of any points the mod makes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'd say it was locked because it was obviously not going to go anywhere and the one obvious outcome was an argument. It's not the kind of thing that people are able to discuss to the extent that someone will change his mind, one of many subjects that will never go anywhere if debated ad infinitum.

I'd say it was locked because it was obviously not going to go anywhere and the one obvious outcome was an argument. It's not the kind of thing that people are able to discuss to the extent that someone will change his mind, one of many subjects that will never go anywhere if debated ad infinitum.

while I am tempted to agree with you I think it best to let the mod respond himself and not assume we know the thought process behind the closing of the thread.

• Advertisement

and on that note: closing this thread as the OP has been answered and the issue of locking threads without posting a reason has been discussed quite recently already (I believe it was After Hours it was in relation to and the discussion expanded to include the rest of the site).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement