Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoked Haddock - How and what with?

Options
  • 09-12-2011 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭

I cook a lot but I don't experiment enough with fish dishes. I've some lovely smoked haddock but I'm not entirely sure which is the best way to cook it? I've been recommended boil it in milk or to bake it? Any ideas? Also, what's a nice accompaniment? Thanks :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've often boiled it in milk with onions and then thickened the liquid to make a sauce which is nice, but how about kedgeree?
    It looks delicious and it's something I've been intending to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Simply flour and water (sparkling if you have it) batter. Cut haddock into goujons dip and deepfry. I'm doing the same with some smoked cod tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

I normally make mash potatos or home cut chunky chips and brocolli

Then i put a teaspoon of butter into a frying pan and fry the fish in it. I add some pepper and a tiny bit of salt and some finely chopped scallions and the butter then acts as my sauce for the fish..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I make mashed potato, mix in sauted green onions. Cook the smoked haddock in a frying pan, put on top of the mash, then top with a poached egg, and break the yolk. Yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

given the choice, with smoked haddock I like to make smokies

put a small amount of oil into a pan, fry off fish briefly, like 1 minute, deglaze with white wine, add a good dollop of creme fraíche, some halved cherry tomatoes and sliced spring onions.Bring up to the boil. Put into over proof dish, top with some nice cheddar cheese and place under the grill till cheese is golden and bubbling. Serve with crusty bread - heavenly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I like smoked haddock and corn chowder.

Parboil some potato's
    Fry an onion and a little bit of chilli. Add a tin of sweet corn and potatos. Add enough stock to cover. Simmer until potatoes are fully cooked. Add smoked haddock and cook until fish is cooked. Add enough milk to make is slightly creamy, some chopped parsley and salt and pepper to taste.

Takes about 15minutes to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Wow, thanks all, some lovely dishes there that I shall try. My tummy is guiding me towards the "smokies" tonight - anything with wine and cheese sounds good, sounds sublime :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I love Nigel Slaters recipe for smoked haddock with brocolli.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2007/feb/25/foodanddrink.features6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I was going to suggest smokies myself. I make it slightly differently.

I poach the fish lightly in milk, then drain, flake and put in a bowl, where I toss it with creme fraiche, halved cherry tomatoes, scallions and a little black pepper. Then I divide the mixture into ramekins and top with grated cheddar, and bake for a few minutes until golden and bubbling. Then eat with a lemony salad and crusty bread - marvellous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Guys I made smokies last night and I'm still licking my chops thinking of it :D It turned out absolutely beautifully so thanks again for the recommendation - so tasty and so very simple and quick as well. I left out the wine in the dish simply because I didn't feel the smokiness of the fish needed it, served with a mixed salad and a cheeky little Spanish vino - delish

Advertisement