Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security risk with Pettitts supermarket loyalty card

Options
  • 09-12-2011 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

A while back I noticed a security risk associated with having a 'Pettitts supermarket loyalty card' on you key ring. About a year ago I notified Pettitts in Wexford town and told them about it. Just noticed today they have done nothing to fix it. Here is a detail of the problem.

1. Many of us have a Pettitts loyalty card on our keyring.
    2. It is possible that we could lose or have them stolen.
    3. If some one steals or find the key ring they can go to a Pettitts supermarket, make a small cash purchase and use the loyalty card.
    4. If they do this they will get a receipt with the surname and the first initial of the owner of the keys.
    5. A simple check in the phonebook will give the possible address of the owner of the keys and allow for a break-in or car theft.

I will put more presure on them to fix it. In the meantime be aware of the problem.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭HeavyRunner

Rang Pettitts again today. They are not concered about the problem. It is up to the customer to take care of their keys and if people lose their keys they are usually handed in. they are not going to do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Jimmy Ga-han needs to hear about this.

Anyway, I was just thinking.

1. How is the person who steals/finds the card supposed to know if the card belongs to a male or female? That means he/she is playing russian roulette going up to use the card.

2. Bravo for detailing a fantastic system for those would be thieves on the board. I'm sure they will put your step by step by step info to good use.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

So Jimmy Muprhy loses his keys, the initials will be jmurphy and the robber will try all the jmuprhy's in the counties where the shops are ?

Better chance on the lotto

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

My surname would be a doddle, though, as it's only one of two in the phonebook and the other one's a close relative. That's one of the reasons I don't join loyalty schemes anywhere.

Why not contact the Echo, they love stuff like this.

• Advertisement

Murphy is a bad example. You can use the on-line version of the phonebook to search for all surnames in a certain area. When I did it for my name it came up with 2 in Wexford with the same initial. One was in New Ross and the other was mine. If the keys were lost in Wexford town it dosn't take long to narrow it down.

TheChevron wrote: »

1. How is the person who steals/finds the card supposed to know if the card belongs to a male or female? That means he/she is playing russian roulette going up to use the card.

2. Bravo for detailing a fantastic system for those would be thieves on the board. I'm sure they will put your step by step by step info to good use.

I told Pettittes about it about a year ago and gave them the same scenario. They were not interested. Just hoping more people might ring them on 053 9124055 to complain. I'm sure if I thought of it someone else has thought of it and put it to use over the last few years. We will never know.

Also, male/female doesn't matter. My wife's name is on the card when I use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

3. If some one steals or find the key ring they can go to a Pettitts supermarket, make a small cash purchase and use the loyalty card.

Woo Hoo, free points!!!!!!!!!

There is the bonus that if you do make it back to your car, in the car park, without your car keys, you cant be car-jacked!

Its a win-win for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I'd be more worried they'd spend any money I accrued on the card :rolleyes:

wexfjord wrote: »

There is the bonus that if you do make it back to your car, in the car park, without your car keys, you cant be car-jacked!

Its a win-win for me.

You won't get any bonus points of my card. I've donated them all to the in-store 'Give TD Mick Wallace a bath at Christmas' fund.

• Advertisement

Its a win-win for me.

Nor infact can you drive home........if you've lost your keys

vicwatson wrote: »
    Nor infact can you drive home........if you've lost your keys
    Your keys could have been stolen or lost when you were in the pub and you may have got a taxi or walked home. Address details could be got as soon as the store opens the next day by the finder.

My argument to Pettittes that it would be stupid to put your name and address on your key ring for obvious reasons. Having the Pettittes card on the keyring is almost as bad. Also, as far as I know Pettittes do not give the option of a credit card size loyalty card that can be put in you wallet and which is safer. They are therefore encourging customerers to have the card on the keyring.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

What are the chances of
    - losing your keys
    - a criminal finding them, rather than a normal person who will just hand them in
    - you having a really rare surname identifiable in the ph book
    - that you are in the phonebook at all?

You've created a big deal out of a small risk dude. Let it go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

amdublin wrote: »
    What are the chances of
    - losing your keys
    - a criminal finding them, rather than a normal person who will just hand them in

Correct and right!

I better protest to Tesco too, my name is actually on the clubcard, no need to even buy anything!!!

Pettittes

And it's Pettitt’s supermarket not Pettittes :rolleyes:

And it's Pettitt’s supermarket not Pettittes :rolleyes:
    I diddnt want to be the one to point that out :p

Pettittes sounds like a clothes shop for female dwarfs.

I diddnt want to be the one to point that out :p

Pettittes sounds like a clothes shop for female dwarfs.

Diddddddd you not? :D

I know when I'm bet.:o

When I came to live in Wexford years ago I was told never to say anything bad about the 2 things Wexford people are most sensitive about, 'Pettitt's supermarket' or 'Cry before Dawn'.

I should have posted in the consumer forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Not quite as dramatic as russian roulette :D
    testicle wrote: »
    Correct and right!

I better protest to Tesco too, my name is actually on the clubcard, no need to even buy anything!!!

Yes but in the other situation they actually have your home and car keys!

No, I merely pointed out that you pointed it out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I know when I'm bet.:o

When I came to live in Wexford years ago I was told never to say anything bad about the 2 things Wexford people are most sensitive about, 'Pettitt's supermarket' or 'Cry before Dawn'.

I should have posted in the consumer forum.

I dont shop in Pettitts, and I dont like Cry before dawn.

I still think your argument with them is over dramatic.

No, I merely pointed out that you pointed it out.

I was slaggin your reply :D -

"I diddnt want to be the one to point that out"

I've underscored the similar mistake that OP made and that I corrected ;):D

I was slaggin your reply :D -

"I diddnt want to be the one to point that out"

I've underscored the similar mistake that OP made and that I corrected ;):D

typo-online.jpg

Similar?

I love the way you don't know the difference between a typo and repeatedly spelling the same word wrong. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

1. Many of us have a Pettitts loyalty card on our keyring.
    2. It is possible that we could lose or have them stolen.
    4. If they do this they will get a receipt with the surname and the first initial of the owner of the keys.
    5. A simple check in the phonebook will give the possible address of the owner of the keys and allow for a break-in or car theft.

typo-online.jpg

Similar?

I love the way you don't know the difference between a typo and repeatedly spelling the same word wrong. :rolleyes:

Really, do you? thanks, that's really nice, kiss kiss.

Which word are you referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭EASYNEWS

amdublin wrote: »
    What are the chances of
    - losing your keys

Not really, my name is the only Christian & surname (of my surname) in the directory.

FFS somebody please lock this thread!!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

If you've that worried, contact the data protection commission for more information.

FFS somebody please lock this thread!!! :eek:
    Why?

• Advertisement

Why?

Its over.

Advertisement