Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef and ale stew?

• 09-12-2011 2:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I know this could go in the cooking & recipes forum but I thought some of the beer aficionados on this forum might be able to help.

I have tried a couple of beef and ale stew recipes. The results have been acceptable, but I find it difficult to get the consistency right. The ones I've made to date haven't really thickened properly and the end result has been more 'liquidy' than I'd like.

Does anyone have any recipes that might rectify this problem? Also is there any ale or stout that works particularly well in this dish?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

add more flour?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Cook for longer to allow the ale to reduce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭zac8

An excellent stout to use in stew is O'Hara's Leann Follain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

ntlbell wrote: »
    add more flour?

This...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

If you like making this kind of thing I can't recommend a slow cooker (sometimes called an electric crockpot or just plain crockpot) highly enough. Simply chop up everything and throw it in, pour in some beef stock and your beer/ale/stout, sprinkle on a few tablespoons of flour and stir it all up a bit then turn it on. 6 hours later come back to a delicious thick rich stew with meat cooked so perfectly if flakes away beneath your fork.

It makes cooking anything, especially saucy meals like a stew, incredible easy and always perfectly cooked.

Argod and sometimes tesco do them for about €15 every now and then.

Advertisement