Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good pubs in waterford ????

Options
  • 09-12-2011 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

never been to waterford before and am heading down tonight for weekend.

what are the best pubs in city, looking for good crowd, atmosphere etc.
    any pubs with full live bands?

Cheers,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

Mason have bands on just about everyday you also the kazbar on the 3rd floor you will find that most pubs are 10 seconds away from each other including take-away if you get hungry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

What age group are you Ciaran?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

wellboytoo wrote: »
    What age group are you Ciaran?

Take a look at TH Doolans its in the city centre by red square you cant miss it and always good craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

thanks for the suggestions

we are 36 & 28 yrs old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Geoffs is a nice spot too. Just across from the Kazbar.

• Advertisement

Geoffs is a nice spot too. Just across from the Kazbar.

Horrible pub to have a drink in my opinion, Frount lounge or Th Doolans way better pubs. If its a night club your after there is a few but there all pretty crap tbh maybe Masons downstairs is ok for bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

ciaran75 wrote: »

we are 36 & 28 yrs old.
    Fair play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

jayboi wrote: »
    Fair play

Was thinking same meself.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭aziz

If your after live music,the hot press/jagermeister freezer sessions are on in the forum with republic of loose,legalaxie,casanova wave and daithi.
    Tickets are available online from Hotpress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

For your age group I would recommend you pop in to us at the Mojo lounge and see how you like that, other then that Shortts is nice, the Front Lounge and maybe the Kazbar, wouldnt be mad about Masons though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

If you are in town early enough, Geoffs is a good place for a few pints and a bit of pub grub but when it hits 9.30/10pm it starts getting overcrowded and uncomfortable.

Downstairs in Masons is decent for live bands but it's a young crowd. Don't leave it too late to get in there or you will have to get the elbows out to charge through.

Shortts is good for the live bands aswell and it is easy to hop upstairs to the niteclub if you want. If you like climbing up and down stairs, this is the place for you.

The Forum is a big venue and there are usually top acts on there. Think someone mentioned Republic of Loose are there this weekend. It's a bit out of the way but I've never had a bad night there. Expect to pay €10-€20 to get in depending on who is playing. Here's their upcoming acts if you're interested: http://forumwaterford.ie/?p=listings

Someone mentioned T&H Doolins which would be my haunt at the weekend. It's a bit out of the way of the main pub/club scene but there is a great atmosphere in there. It is usually a trad band so don't be expecting rock or indie acts.

Front Lounge is OK. When a band start playing it gets very loud as it is a tiny pub and you need to start screaming instead of talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭deise48

i will be seated in the woodman for madrid v barca then up to mojos for a bit of 80s music . thats my night sorted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭topgeas

crottys inn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

front lounge great live bands, good atmosphere and better age group. (fizz bombz on saturday yayy)

I recomend starting in geoffs,maybe get some grub there and heading to lounge after for gig and late bar. (suit your age bracket perfectly)
    Alternatively check out the kazbar and head for masons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

the toddle for a bit of old fashioned banter and bit of craic!!!!

kryogen wrote: »
    For your age group I would recommend you pop in to us at the Mojo lounge and see how you like that, other then that Shortts is nice, the Front Lounge and maybe the Kazbar, wouldnt be mad about Masons though :)

Mojo Lounge always plug where you work first :D

Anyone I know that goes up there tend to be very rough

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Front Lounge is OK. When a band start playing it gets very loud as it is a tiny pub and you need to start screaming instead of talking.

Have to agree, some good acts in there but can never enjoy it cause it's so bloody loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Fea.

Front Lounge, much nicer (and mostly a little more mature lol) crowd in there normally and music is always good.

3rd Floor Kazbar, great bands, again, crowd a little older !

On another note, did anyone go out last Saturday night, it was the worst night out I've had in a long time. I've never felt so intimidated by so many women in all my life. They were so rude! It was just me and my friend out as normal surrounded by droves of women glaring at us, this one group even started mocking us !!! It got so uncomfortable we just left. Might try again next week.

Fea. wrote: »
    Front Lounge, much nicer (and mostly a little more mature lol) crowd in there normally and music is always good.

3rd Floor Kazbar, great bands, again, crowd a little older !

On another note, did anyone go out last Saturday night, it was the worst night out I've had in a long time. I've never felt so intimidated by so many women in all my life. They were so rude! It was just me and my friend out as normal surrounded by droves of women glaring at us, this one group even started mocking us !!! It got so uncomfortable we just left. Might try again next week.

Where did you feel intimidated??

• Advertisement

In the Front Lounge, we often go down there and usually go off but always end up back there as the craic is usually great, but last Sat night the atmosphere between all the women was just awful. LOL I'm sure guys don't notice these things but we sure did...

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

I take you are good looking and those ugly ones weren't getting any attention :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

Fea. wrote: »
    In the Front Lounge, we often go down there and usually go off but always end up back there as the craic is usually great, but last Sat night the atmosphere between all the women was just awful. LOL I'm sure guys don't notice these things but we sure did...
    who was playing there last week?
    Sometimes bands have their groupies that follow them around and they tend to affect the atmosphere. Saw Kodakid there Thursday and while they are a great band there were a fair few young girls/lads (*hippster following) drawn to their gigs that would put me off going to see them there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Originally Posted by ex_infantry man viewpost.gif
    deisedave wrote: »
    Anyone I know that goes up there tend to be very rough
    You must know some boogies,anytime iv'e been there people seem allright.

marlin vs wrote: »
    Originally Posted by ex_infantry man viewpost.gif

You must know some boogies,anytime iv'e been there people seem allright.

Trust me alot of the rough crowd go up but I was told they all stay in thefront or something. The place is very dodgy I know alot of the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Trust me alot of the rough crowd go up but I was told they all stay in thefront or something. The place is very dodgy I know alot of the locals.
    That say's it all ! don't believe all you hear.

Funfair wrote: »
    I take you are good looking and those ugly ones weren't getting any attention :)

haha too funny !! NO !!! lol .... I put it down to the fact that it was just us two on our own while everyone else was in large groups on their Christmas nights out.

Unusual Suspects were playing, they are always brilliant for getting the crowd going, its hard not to enjoy yourself, its just a pity that while we were watching the band, all these women had their backs to the stage and missed a great gig! their loss I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

The Yellow house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Mojo Lounge always plug where you work first :D

Has to be done sure :) and we were rockin again on Saturday night so plenty of people seem to agree with me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

DONT GO NEAR THE KASBAR its crap.
    the front lounge always have a very good band playing

Advertisement