Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bray level crossing bridge being demolished?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Not at the bridge specifically, but starting any kind of works when traffic levels are higher than what they are during the summer is kind of stupid in my mind.

Sorry but I fail to see how installing a pedestrian footbridge in area will have any impact on traffic, just glad this thing is being built.

Ridiculous not to have as is the amount of time they keep the gates down, if only they'd learn to close the gates closer to the trains arrival!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

WOOOOOOO!!!

kkcdZPg.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Just a reminder to those revisiting the thread due to the latest post and reading the previous reply. The gates are controlled from Pearse St or Connolly afaik. Thats why there is a ridiculous margin for error built into the timing so to speak. There isn't someone at Bray station raising and lowering them. Thats what I heard anyway.

Calibos wrote: »
    Just a reminder to those revisiting the thread due to the latest post and reading the previous reply. The gates are controlled from Pearse St or Connolly afaik. Thats why there is a ridiculous margin for error built into the timing so to speak. There isn't someone at Bray station raising and lowering them. Thats what I heard anyway.

I'm sure in this day and age that it's an automated process either way they are down for far too long in my opinion.

FYI work started on building the replacement bridge today and should be completed by the 19th of december (this year I hope!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

How is this progressing ? It's dark when I'm passing through morning & evening, so very hard to see.

Nothing above ground level so far so I assume they are still putting in the foundations and then the pre-cast bridge should hopefully arrive in a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

Hopefully* they will install a bridge that will complement the promenade, not some horrible galvanized steel frame,,

*No hope really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Hopefully* they will install a bridge that will complement the promenade, not some horrible galvanized steel frame,,

*No hope really.

Wishful thinking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Presumably they'll be building one of their monstrosities that they have all along the DART line...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭g0g

http://193.178.1.92/idocsweb/ViewFiles.aspx?docid=143318&format=jpeg
    This link might work to show some details on bridge, but not exactly a drawing of it in colour!

FYI was talking to one of the contractors working on the new bridge and yes, you guessed it, there is going to be a delay in getting it finished.

Apparently the people that are supposed to supply the new handrails won't have any in stock for a few weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

look up train time table to avoid the train

braddun wrote: »
    look up train time table to avoid the train

You'd think that'd be a help but it really isn't.
    Example: I was just waiting there at the gates for 10 minutes.
    Gates shut:14.11
    A southbound train went through at 14.12
    Another southbound train went through at 14.18
    Finally a northbound went out at 14.20.
    Gates open:14.21

How do you plan around that kind of crap?

It is the most inefficient crossing that I have ever encountered.

The barriers come down too early and are left down if there is another train departing (regardless of when it happens to be departing). I have often waited there for 10 or more minutes.

Probably all down to automation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,975 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

B0jangles wrote: »
    You'd think that'd be a help but it really isn't.
    Example: I was just waiting there at the gates for 10 minutes.
    Gates shut:14.11
    A southbound train went through at 14.12
    Another southbound train went through at 14.18
    Finally a northbound went out at 14.20.
    Gates open:14.21

How do you plan around that kind of crap?

Don't go when there is a southbound Rosslare train due as they have to follow right behind a DART - that's what happened there.

lxflyer wrote: »
    Don't go when there is a southbound Rosslare train due as they have to follow right behind a DART - that's what happened there.

That was just an example of the most recent time I got stuck at the gates.

I have to go through them 2-4 times a day to get to where I'm going, and at least half the time there is a long wait for another train to show up. Occasionally there isn't even another train, they just open again after 5-10 minutes.

I can't plan my day around Irish Rail's apparent inability to open and shut a level crossing in under ten minutes.

Also did you notice that there was a 6 minute wait before the 2nd southbound train showed up; does that really qualify as "right behind" in your book?

That was just an example of the most recent time I got stuck at the gates.

I have to go through them 2-4 times a day to get to where I'm going, and at least half the time there is a long wait for another train to show up. Occasionally there isn't even another train, they just open again after 5-10 minutes.

I can't plan my day around Irish Rail's apparent inability to open and shut a level crossing in under ten minutes.

Also did you notice that there was a 6 minute wait before the 2nd southbound train showed up; does that really qualify as "right behind" in your book?

It is in railway terms.

lxflyer wrote: »
    It is in railway terms.

To be honest that's just pathetic in this day and age.

I have lived beside these gates for decades and the timing has gotten progressively worse and worse, even though the number of trains running has been halved. The gates regularly shut upwards of five minutes before the train is even due to leave the station; the driver usually shows up several minutes after the gates have closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,969 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Has work stopped on this?

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Has work stopped on this?

Christmas holidays, probably.

LEIN wrote: »
    Christmas holidays, probably.

It's still stalled, I heard from the contractors before Christmas that were was going to be a delay (surprise!) because the company supplying the handrails for the bridge had a shortage.

Think about that: Apparently there was an unexpected rush on railway bridge handrails in January.

Either some megalomaniacal genius is buying up railway bridge handrails for some nefarious scheme.....or..... IrishRail made a royal mess of a simple project, like they tend to do...

They seem to be working on it this morning.

No such luck; someone I know was just talking to one of the workmen and he said they are just clearing away their stuff and nothing is going to happen for at least a couple of months.

Apparently some of the bridge was paid for in full and the company who were supposed to be supplying it have gone very quiet lately...

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Apparently some of the bridge was paid for in full and the company who were supposed to be supplying it have gone very quiet lately...

:rolleyes:

I wonder if they have gone into liquidation/receivership/bankruptcy? Then they can say good-bye to the money they paid for the bridge.

lol, who pays in full before the work is done.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Anybody have any idea when the slowest bridge to get built on the planet is going to commence?
    (The bray station bridge)

Maudi wrote: »
    Anybody have any idea when the slowest bridge to get built on the planet is going to commence?
    (The bray station bridge)

Treads merged. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Treads merged. :)

It seems to be a common occurance with projects that were promised to begin and again that the look as if it's beginning then stalls again and again.."buying breathing space" I think it's called..look at the disastrous greystones harbour and it's multiple start dates for various phases. .While I'm at it...The entrance to bray at the bridge ..that's just taking the *&^/ if they think that's acceptable to leave a main thoroughfare into the town like that..shame on whoever the buck stops with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Surprised the Bray People haven't been on to this story. Far more relevant to the local community than some of the stories they pursue.

• Advertisement

PzETJP3.jpg

Three and a half years later, I'm cautiously optimistic we might be getting some kind of bridge in the not too distant future!

Three and a half years later, I'm cautiously optimistic we might be getting some kind of bridge in the not too distant future!

Good news, great that it's finally happening.

Any idea of the design? Hope it's nicer looking than what it's replacing!

murpho999 wrote: »
    Good news, great that it's finally happening.

Any idea of the design? Hope it's nicer looking than what it's replacing!

I can't remember where I heard it but I do recall hearing that it was going to be a simple design with 2 flights of steps on each side, so similar to what was there.

I can't remember where I heard it but I do recall hearing that it was going to be a simple design with 2 flights of steps on each side, so similar to what was there.

Well I'm happy to hear they are planning stairs on each side, as that is a pretty good system for a bridge.:pac:

I just it's something a bit easier on corrugated iron monstrosity that was there before.

dart-620x330.jpg

After another, fortunately short delay*, the piers which will support the new bridge have been put in place on both sides of the tracks!

8SNGJtF.jpg

It looks like it will be less steep and a good bit longer than the old bridge.

*The crew building the bridge discovered that the water main which runs down the Quinsborough Road made an inexplicable detour underneath the place where the first pier was being built, which meant a council crew coming down to move it.

Passed just now and more action again tonight. It'll look fairly finished by the morning I'd say unless the rain has an impact as I think tonight is meant to be bad.
    WP_20150822_011.jpg
    WP_20150822_012.jpg
    WP_20150822_013.jpg
    WP_20150822_014.jpg
    WP_20150822_015.jpg

Couple more. Sorry for quality but phone camera isn't great for nights shots!
    WP_20150822_017.jpg
    WP_20150822_020.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

I just it's something a bit easier on corrugated iron monstrosity that was there before.

dart-620x330.jpg

The original bridge didn't have the corrugated iron on the side. It was a lovely bridge them some idiots started putting their arms/legs out through the bridge towards the lines hence the corrugated iron.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Seen this in place this morning, it's nicer looking but not a million miles away from what was there imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭homer911

Any new photos?

I'll take one later this evening if I get a chance or if someone doesn't get there before me

Apologies for the glare the sun was quite a bit lower than I expected for the time of day.

bray_railway_bridge_20878162955_o_1.jpg

Definitely a case of function over design. Thought they would come up with more after so long.

Anyhow it's a bridge which is the main thing.

No more waiting at the gates that are put down far too early.

bray_railway_bridge_20878162955_o_1.jpgDefinitely a case of function over design. Thought they would come up with more after so long.  Anyhow it's a bridge which is the main thing.  No more waiting at the gates that are put down far too early.

It's a standard design. Probably the best they could do with the space.

• Advertisement

It's a standard design. Probably the best they could do with the space.

No, the space it takes up is fine just could be nice looking, either way it'll do the job.

No, the space it takes up is fine just could be nice looking, either way it'll do the job.

The scope for being "nice looking" is also limited given it is above overhead electric wires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Looks grand to me. Might look alot different in a few months due to graffiti.

Aenaes wrote: »
    Looks grand to me. Might look alot different in a few months due to graffiti.

Yes was thinking that too, always a problem sadly.

They could have just put the mesh on both sides which would have reduced the impact of any graffiti...

• Advertisement
Advertisement