Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Self defence

• 09-12-2011 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Just out of interest. What would someone recommend for working in the security industry for use in a self defence situation.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Tomas_S

Just out of interest. What would someone recommend for working in the security industry for use in a self defence situation.
    Thanks.

Muay thai or MMA ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭SpiceWeasel

Krav Maga perhaps:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

nothing that involves only punching and kicking since you'll look like a thug and wind up in court as well as quite possibly getting fired.

do something that involves grappling - judo, jiu jitsu,etc. that way if you have to restrain somebody you'll actually know how to, and whats more it looks a hell of a lot better when the guards review the cctv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭silat liam

Hi

Silat - We have alot of security people that have and continue to do our classes, and we constantly update and train with instructors in this field.

Liam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Tomas_S wrote: »
    Muay thai or MMA wink.gif

+1, Thai or MMA is your best bet for being actually able to defend yourself

Just in my opinion, strictly from a; being able to protect yourself first and everything else second, standpoint your better off being on your feet if there is more than one of them.

Not slagging off any ground based style just my opinion... except 'Irish stick fighting'... seriously, fcuk those guys :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

Is there a difference between defending yourself and being able to bash someone?

Do they not teach you how to defend yourself in your job training??

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭tysonslovechild

Well no they dont show us how to bash people as you call it, AS regards restraining someone yes but it is at a minimum. I was just interested in finding out what peoples thoughts were on the best self defence for security purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Chris89 wrote: »
    Is there a difference between defending yourself and being able to bash someone?

Sort of, easier to run away if your standing up as opposed to on the ground. Also having someone in an arm-bar isn't as good if his mates are standing over you waiting to jump on your head - Which is why I suggest Thai... and at the end of the day Thai is all about just bashing people too.. :)

I suppose I know it just boils down to opinion and personal style preferance at the end of the day... except of course with Irish stick fighting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Judo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭HammerHeadGym

This has been asked before and I've answered it in greater detail if you're bothered to search.
    ANyway, 15 years on the door, I recommend around 50% Judo, 30% boxing or Muay Thai and 10% strength training.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Speaking with the benefit of working the doors for most of 20 years I'd say Judo first and a striking style as a back up for when the fur really flies.

Thanks for all the advice lads. Would anyone know much about american kempo. Is it practical. I ask this because there is a club very near me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

This has been asked before and I've answered it in greater detail if you're bothered to search.
    ANyway, 15 years on the door, I recommend around 50% Judo, 30% boxing or Muay Thai and 10% strength training.

and 10% Dim mak

Thanks for all the advice lads. Would anyone know much about american kempo. Is it practical. I ask this because there is a club very near me.

Why not give it a try and see.

Tbh I've worked with a lot of lads who got into martial arts because they thought it would be good for their work - and tbh none of them are still practicing martial arts but are still on the door's.

Try a style because it bring's you some enjoyment and not because your running through some imaginary scenario's in your head.

Drop in and see how the Kenpo class looks, usually if its right for you it'll click straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

I reckon I've answered this about 2-3 times before, so short version:

I'm a short, slim guy who has been doing the doors for 5 years and Judo has been an indispensable skill. I also do German Jujutsu which is helpful but there are two places in Ireland that teach it.

I echo Makikomi's advice with regards trying Kempo and see what you make of it. Just ask yourself whether you reckon the techniques would be useful on the door, and whether you would get away with using them. Remember that throws and joint locks look less aggressive than knocking the shíte out of someone.

Remember that throws and joint locks look less aggressive than knocking the shíte out of someone.

Plus its hard to miss when you throw someone at the world :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Done Kempo, Bushido, Judo & MMA plus a bit of Maui Thai and boxing and although I don't do the door anymore, I would think Judo and Striking art like Muai Thai is the best combo.

Personally didn't find Kempo great, much preferred Bushido but each to their own, you are best off giving it a try and seeing what suits you.

RoboRat wrote: »
    Done Kempo, Bushido, Judo & MMA plus a bit of Maui Thai and boxing and although I don't do the door anymore, I would think Judo and Striking art like Muai Thai is the best combo.

Personally didn't find Kempo great, much preferred Bushido but each to their own, you are best off giving it a try and seeing what suits you.

Thanks again lads for the advice. Think ill try the judo a go see what i think. As a matter of interest whats bushido??????

its basically Kickboxing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Thanks again lads for the advice. Think ill try the judo a go see what i think. As a matter of interest whats bushido??????

It's the name of a club that cater for light and semi contact kickboxing.

• Advertisement

yomchi wrote: »
    It's the name of a club that cater for light and semi contact kickboxing.

Is it still Ray Bakers baby?.

Is it still Ray Bakers baby?.

Think so, I was up in the Amenity centre and he was in there so I presume he is still involved although he wasn't in his gear.

Trained with him for about 2 years and he is a very good instructor and really got the most out of me. Nicola Corbett is also very good but im not sure of the set up anymore, it was back in the early 90's when i did Bushido!

Advertisement