Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

binocular advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Those 20x80 are heavy and you would deffo need a tri-pod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Those 20x80 are heavy and you would deffo need a tri-pod
    Any recommendations for one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Personally I think 10x50 is better for a starter set if you just want to learn your way around the sky. The fact that you can just pick them up and point with no setup is a big bonus. Should be less than half the price also.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Novaman

Definitely the 10x50's aremuch better for starting out as they will have a wider field of view which helps locate what you want to see in the sky easier. Also they are much easier to hand hold so your arms won't tire

NM

So what are the best beginner binoculars on amazon around that price point?

• Advertisement

Is Bak-4 against BK7 much of a consideration with a starter pair?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

Hi Guys,
    Any idea where I could pick up a pair of those 10x50 Bresser bino's that Lidl or Aldi had a few years ago. Were a great pair and mine broke, unfortunately. I don't see any bino's this year in either.

The lidl and aldi ones are great value but if they don't have an offer you will probably have to spend €50 to get a pair of similar quality in argos.

10x50s ordered.

How well does averted vision work with the naked eye or am I seeing things? Looking from betelgeuse to jupiter via aldebaran just now, I think I can see 3 distinct objects in the Pleiades near aldebaran with the naked eye until I look directly at them and they disappear in to cloud-like fuzz. Imagination or not?

It works for binos too. It's a technique that takes practice. I have used it to see objects that are still too faint with binos.

I can see 4 stars in Pleiades with the naked eye right now but light pollution is not bad where I live. The good news is Pleiades looks great with binos, you will be able to see loads of stars in it with out using any special techniques :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement