Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Ginger Gene

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Madam wrote: »
    later10 wrote: »
    There are never too many gingers to shake your stick at.

'Your' stick:confused::P

He's talking about his penis ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

stephen_k wrote: »
    Don't have the really bright red with the freckles and the "no eyebrows" but my hair is sufficiently red to endure a lifetime of red hair jibes and slagging all through school, thankfully my little fella who is 2 now, just has fair hair, and I think will escape curse of the ginger gene, as I wouldn't wish it on anyone...

Interesting that the Mods have no problem with people putting comments like "burning with fire" "drown them like cats" etc but if I posted that about blacks or travellers I'd be banned...
    i agree with you. that fact is very frustrating. people can offend insult on here too easily and if you talk back you get a sarcastic response

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

couldn't care less
    people like you.

People like me?

Good, God-fearing, suntanning, taxpaying honest Irish Christians?

My good man, even Margaret Thatcher was a lowlife ginger.

That ought to tell you something about how the ginger mind operates.

Nothing as sneaky as a ginger.

They're not like us. They're crab people. They don't belong here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Don't have the really bright red with the freckles and the "no eyebrows" but my hair is sufficiently red to endure a lifetime of red hair jibes and slagging all through school, thankfully my little fella who is 2 now, just has fair hair, and I think will escape curse of the ginger gene, as I wouldn't wish it on anyone...

Interesting that the Mods have no problem with people putting comments like "burning with fire" "drown them like cats" etc but if I posted that about blacks or travellers I'd be banned...

Huh? You think he's escaped the redhair curse(not that I think its a curse btw)? People should be proud of their red hair - much nicer and less boring than our mousy counterparts:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

You're taking it too personally, sure blondes are deemed 'stupid'. It's only light-hearted ribbing. When you're ready there, have a look at what I voted.

people like you.

People like me?

Good, God-fearing, suntanning, taxpaying honest Irish Christians?

My good man, even Margaret Thatcher was a lowlife ginger.

That ought to tell you something about how the ginger mind operates.

Nothing as sneaky as a ginger.

They're not like us. They're crab people. They don't belong here.
    i think youre just trying to wind people up. boring

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭stephen_k

Madam wrote: »
    Huh? You think he's escaped the redhair curse(not that I think its a curse btw)? People should be proud of their red hair - much nicer and less boring than our mousy counterparts:rolleyes:

You wouldn't say that if you had to go through your entire school years being verbally and often phyically bullied and the main catalyst was the ridiculous reason that your fúcking hair was a different colour that todays society has deemed to be unattractive... I would never dye my hair but I would give anything to be naturally dark haired, it would have saved me from an awful lot of shít in my childhood.... So yes I am glad my little fella hopefully will escape the curse of the ginger gene!!

Abi wrote: »

You're taking it too personally, sure blondes are deemed 'stupid'. It's only light-hearted ribbing. When you're ready there, have a look at what I voted.
    i am blonde naturally. it darkened a bit. red and blonde is dying out and will be replaced by the mundane dark hair eventually. dark hair is too common and eventually in time it will be the only hair colour around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

To be fair I don't think he is. Blondes may be deemed stupid but you don't see anyone calling for them to be killed.

If I started up a thread about having a gay kid and then said that I'd drown him or leave him outside to be run over by a car then there's be uproar. But sure I was only having the crack Mr. Mod, I swear.

• Advertisement

I've got red hair, of course I'm going to take it personally... :confused:

To be fair I don't think he is. Blondes may be deemed stupid but you don't see anyone calling for them to be killed.

If I started up a thread about having a gay kid and then said that I'd drown him or leave him outside to be run over by a car then there's be uproar. But sure I was only having the crack Mr. Mod, I swear.
    i agree. the Im on messin excuse is used to justify ignorance on here. or even worse, getting stupid comments on serious topics and its excused because its in After Hours!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Tim the Enchanter

I'm ginger and i have two man children, none of which are ginger(thank fu*k for that)

couldn't care less

I have an openly gay brother. I say that stuff all of the time.

One would think that even moreso with red hair, it would be obvious that people are joking. Nobody seriously feels antipathy toward people with red hair.

I can understand that children can be cruel, but it's bizarre that people take this so seriously, on the internet, in adulthood.

i am blonde naturally. it darkened a bit. red and blonde is dying out and will be replaced by the mundane dark hair eventually. dark hair is too common and eventually in time it will be the only hair colour around.
    Probably. My hair is naturally a kinda dirty blonde colour, but I have it lightened. Couldn't care less what is said about it tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

mistake - ignore ( double post )

• Advertisement

That's from all the bullying.

'Hey, period head!'

'Ding-a-ling-a-ling, your head's on fire.'

'Have you read any books lately?
    'Yes'
    'Have you red pubes?'

And that's just on a normal day. Can't be easy.

trololol

forgot about :

'Have you read any books lately?
    'Yes'
    'Have you red pubes?'

sides are splitting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I'm pregnant for a ginger :-P

My partner doesn't have the pale skin or freckly face so it'll be interesting to see what our son looks like :-)

Sames! :)

One would think that even moreso with red hair, it would be obvious that people are joking. Nobody seriously feels antipathy toward people with red hair.
    Voting in their favour doesn't seem to convince them however..
    I can understand that children can be cruel, but it's bizarre that people take this so seriously, on the internet, in adulthood.
    Exactly. It's not just hair colour kids slag each other off on, it could be teeth / nose / height - anything basically!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Well when you have experienced an unmerciful amount of teasing and genuine bullying on the back of it then you'll know how hurtful it can be to hear these things, even now.

As far as I see it it's the cool thing to do, to slag people with red hair. Why? I don't know. All I can say is that I feel sorry for the people that have so much hatred inside them that they feel the need to slag off a person about the colour of their hair. I'm not saying that you fall into this category but an awful lot of people that I've seen over the years are like this.

I think it's because they are insecure about themselves and then feel a need to put someone else down, an easy target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Bullying in childhood can leave deep scars and make people defensive about it for their whole lives.

To be fair, I don't care about the slaggings, but the fact is that there are some people that really DO treat redheads with less respect than they do other people. It's shocking, and people are right in saying that if it was down to another genetic trait, like skin colour, it wouldn't be tolerated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

I wish I was ginger :(

strawberry blonde - wtf
    this is not a colour, anyone saying they are strawberry blonde is ginger.

Do you think Ginger people are genetically weaker than the rest of us hence why their gene is dying out.

Natural selection, surivival of the fittest etc...
    Would you see gingers as weak for this reason ?

that is Darwins theory after all, if the gene is dying then they must be a weak breed of human ??

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

I have red hair myself and the people whinging about the teasing need to lighten up. Like every other kid in school with red hair I was teased for it, but by the time I'd reached secondary school I'd heard all the jokes and they ceased to have any effect on me.

And as for people equating the blatantly obvious gentle ribbing in this thread to the racial slurs directed at black people then, well, you really need to read up on some history and you'd know how ridiculous that sounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    strawberry blonde - wtf

Do you think Ginger people are genetically weaker than the rest of us hence why their gene is dying out.

that is Darwins theory after all, if the gene is dying then they must be a weak breed of human ??

Stiffler, I hope you're joking.... red hair is a result of a genetic mutation. Dark hair and eyes are the dominant genes for humans, and as the human race evolves we are slowly becoming more likely to have these traits. Fair blondes are dying out too.... they aren't weaker, but the genes for the hair colour are recessive :rolleyes:

I have red hair myself and the people whinging about the teasing need to lighten up. Like every other kid in school with red hair I was teased for it, but by the time I'd reached secondary school I'd heard all the jokes and they ceased to have any effect on me.

And as for people equating the blatantly obvious gentle ribbing in this thread to the racial slurs directed at black people then, well, you really need to read up on some history and you'd know how ridiculous that sounds.

Good for you that it didn't have an effect on you.... The bullying (verbal and physical) that I experienced certainly fúcking did have an effect on me...

I didn't compare the "ribbing" on here to racial slurs, I compared the the fact that you can't say the same things that are being directed to people with red hair to people of different colour without being banned on this forum, it was a comment about boards not society....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

I always find the slagging people over an inherent part of their appearance a little disturbing.

This, I suppose you could call it, abuse of red heads is something I don't really get.

You can't choose your skin colour either... can we make cheap jokes about that aswell?

Stiffler, I hope you're joking.... red hair is a result of a genetic mutation. Dark hair and eyes are the dominant genes for humans, and as the human race evolves we are slowly becoming more likely to have these traits. Fair blondes are dying out too.... they aren't weaker, but the genes for the hair colour are recessive :rolleyes:

No, it was a serious question. That is Darwins theory after all.
    I know the ginger gene is a genetic mutation, a mutation which is dying out.
    The quesion is why is the ginger gene dying out. I would have guessed this is caused by natural selection , surivival of the fittest and the weaker gene's dying out. Serious question it was.

mossyc123 wrote: »
    I always find the slagging people over an inherent part of their appearance a little disturbing.

This, I suppose you could call it, abuse of red heads is something I don't really get.

You can't choose your skin colour either... can we make cheap jokes about that aswell?

You can't mix up hair colour with race
    racial abuse and hair colour are 2 completely different things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

strawberry blonde - wtf

I'd love to hear Paul O'Connell 's view on that theory :pac:

No, it was a serious question. That is Darwins theory after all.
    I know the ginger gene is a genetic mutation, a mutation which is dying out.
    The quesion is why is the ginger gene dying out. I would have guessed this is caused by natural selection , surivival of the fittest and the weaker gene's dying out. Serious question it was.

It's just a lot of ladies don't dig ginger guys. All the hot girls are taken.

We're feeding off scraps here.

• Advertisement

I'd love to hear Paul O'Connell 's view on that theory :pac:

My only comment to Paul O'Connell would be as follows :

Hi Paul, you're awesome, please don't hurt me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

couldn't care less
    I'ma just gonna leave this here

ahhh, that makes alot of sense, no one wants to shag a ginger so they can't reproduce which is why they're dying out.

Thanks Tesco Massacre, you've solved the problem.

You now stand corrected :p

There was a lovely looking guy in my class in secondary with ginger hair. He had amazing brown eyes, it was an unusual combination but lovleh :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I have a beautiful redhead daughter, she did the dying every colour thing once upon a time, but is back to red hair for some time now and looks great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

I am but have been described as a nice ginger by women :P

Apparently a nice ginger doesn't have that bright carrot coloured hair but an almost brown shade of red, has visible eyebrows and eyelashes.

While its apparently a good thing, I couldn't care if my hair was brighter or if my brows were invisible etc.

So proud that I sport a nice ginger beard :D

You now stand corrected :p

There was a lovely looking guy in my class in secondary with ginger hair. He had amazing brown eyes, it was an unusual combination but lovleh :pac:

Ooh, he sounds dreamy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭AnamGlas

WE SHALL NEVER DIE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

You can't mix up hair colour with race
    racial abuse and hair colour are 2 completely different things.

Sometimes it isn't.

Red hair was known as a Jewish characteristic during the Spanish Inquisition.
    Judas was portrayed in the art of the time as red haired, an inference of something to be mistrusted I think you'll agree.

"Kick-a-ginger/slap-a-ginger" day is arguably the expression of our sometimes fascist nature that the herd has a need to attack someone who is different.

I know that unlike rascism it doesn't make it out of the playground but still it's essentially the same thing in principle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Doctor_Socks

Ginger here aswell, no freckles though, would never trade my red hair for anything though, no matter how much abuse I get!

Never got abuse over having red hair until I got to college and started going out on the lash, the amount of abuse I got then was sick! Talking to someone in a smoking area of a club, some fat cow shouting ginger but pronouncing it in the retarded 'gin-grr'. Also got in an argument with someone because they thought a 'dirty ginger' shouldn't be allowed get in a taxi before them, got spat on and bitten by one of the most inbred looking scumbags I ever seen but their head was a lot redder then mine at the end of that argument!

I learnt from the above experiences that most people who throw serious abuse at gingers are generally incredibly stupid or look like they crawled up out of a swamp. Most people just throw the odd jibe at my red hair, nothing serious, just like how i'd make fun of them over being overweight or lanky.

For all the abuse everyone gets in Ireland (where you'd assume people would have no gripes about red hair since its so common), wait until you travel somewhere else where people enjoy seeing your red hair, went to Toronto and everyone loved it there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Some Blondes are stupid :p
    I am a natural blonde and get the blonde jokes all the time, does not bother me in the slightest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I wouldn't care if my children were ginger, especially if the mother of my children looked like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

hondasam wrote: »
    Red heads hot and fiery or is that just the women? I like ginger hair.
    red hair directly causing bad temper is a myth.
    its because people for some reason think they are being helpful to a redhaired person by coming up to them and saying they heard red hair causes bad temper; or explains why they are 'bad tempered'-when this is heard often throughout life it can wear down on tolerance.

its like associating behavioral traits to skin colour,for example many people have passed down silly behavioral stereotypes about people with black skin but they wont say it in public,especialy to black people because they know its immoral,offensive, and wrong to associate,plus also may end up with them being in trouble with the law.
    yet people have no problem associating the same sort of thing to a minority hair colour.

have always thought red hair shoud be classed as a minority group because of the serious treatment towards it,am not refering to ginger humour but the real ugly bullying,abuse,prejudice and discrimination, especialy in child and adult education which is allowed to go on because they think its just hair and students are just being silly,but dont think its just skin pigment when people are given the same treatment because of their skin colour.
    red haired people are told to dye their hair if they dont like all of that crap, yet people who are black are not told to dye their skin-they are told to be proud of that part of them.
    its hypocritical of society to teach one group that having a colour different to the majority is good and something to be proud of,and teaching another group-its something to hide away and dispise.

red haired people in the medieval years were burned at the stake because they were thought to be witches due to the hair colour,it has also been proven before on tv programmes that red haired people have not been given jobs
    purely because of the colour.

couldn't care less
    are you for real

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Better red than dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Scruffles wrote: »

red haired people in the medieval years were burned at the stake because they were thought to be witches due to the hair colour,it has also been proven before on tv programmes that red haired people have not been given jobs
    purely because of the colour.

I read that as blow job,i am such a perv.:p
    Is it a myth they are highly sexed as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

hondasam wrote: »
    I read that as blow job,i am such a perv.:p
    Is it a myth they are highly sexed as well?

Ok, that part is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Brazzer

I'm a ginger but I'm not a minger. I have dark green eyes and anything but pale skin, I get a darker tan than a lot of brown haired people. I'm constantly getting complimented for my hair and as much as I didn't like it as a child because of the slaggings, I wouldn't change it for any other colour.

I think men with red hair are very attractive, I've gone out with 2 and am still with number 2. Don't know what the chances are of our kids escaping the red gene but I think they're going to be beautiful little carrot toppers :-)

BTW, both my parents are dark and sallow skinned, they said people stopped them when we were small to compliment them on having such beautiful children and always commented on our hair so it was really only kids that had a problem with it in school, we love our red hair :-)

couldn't care less
    Brazzer wrote: »
    I'm a ginger but I'm not a minger. I have dark green eyes and anything but pale skin, I get a darker tan than a lot of brown haired people.

Kelis?

http://braindeadgroup.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/kelis.jpg?w=250&h=300

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement