Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Ginger Gene

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Brazzer

later10 wrote: »

Haha very good, defo not me though!!! My primary skin colour is white and only tan's with the aid of the sun :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭pearliefan

Where's the 'I love having red hair' option in the poll??
    Anyway yeah, I'm female, love bring a ginge. Get a good bit of slagging but I don't mind it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

the thread has got me all self conscious about my pale skin and freckles now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Tbh I find it hilarious when the most piss ugly people still have a misguided superiority complex over gingers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

couldn't care less
    pic2155.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

I'm ginger, I'd put it up for adoption, kindest thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Google image search Nikki Rhodes.
    Now shut yer mouths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

couldn't care less
    Eh, no.

Reminds me of Bianca from Eastenders

http://primetime.unrealitytv.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/bianca-jackson.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

In fairness "Bianca" would look bet down regardless of hair colour.

Thats the face of a woman who smokes 80 Major a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

I'm happy to be a redhead, although I'd much prefer a redheaded daughter than a redheaded son. My hair was much more red when I was small, but it's dark red now. Wouldn't want any other colour- the world doesn't need another bottle blonde. Especially a redhead trying to dye their hair blonde, which inevitably turns a creepy luminous orange...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 526 ✭✭✭7Sins

I'm no rocket scientist but I assume the proportion of good looking to ugly gingers is the same as with other differently coloured follicles. I'm no brain surgeon like but I do see quite a lot of fugly blondes, brunettes and what have you every day of the week but such hues are in mighty abundance that plenty a cracker relinquishes my memory of these fugly beings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Hot ginger women are godesses.

couldn't care less
    ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    Hot ginger women are godesses.
    and as rare as hens' teeth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

and as rare as hens' teeth

I know:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭Broads.ie

Where's the option for "I'd hide in a mountain cave for the rest of my life" ?

edit...never mind. Thought the question was "If you were ginger"...

Now that I've noticed the actual question... Where's the option for "I'd put it up for adoption/Die of shame/Be very disappointed etc etc." ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I have red hair, and I love that it's different.

Had people yelling "GINGER!" at me for years, never really understood why people felt the need to tell me what colour my hair is... When I was about 16, I answered a skanger back with "Oh my God, you're so observant! You figured out my hair colour within a second of seeing me?!" - he just gaped and tried to figure out if I insulted him :P

Get a lot of hatred here, but I've found that guys in Spain and France like it :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

hello. ginger here.

ask me anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭muracan

couldn't care less
    Ginger hair.......natures way of saying STAND CLEAR!

couldn't care less
    hello. ginger here.

ask me anything.

Why did Granny die?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

I had reddish blond hair as a child and freckles and there are several redheads in my family.My hair turned out dark, I think I dodged a bullet :P

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

hello. ginger here.

ask me anything.

Why did Granny die?
    are you still here?

couldn't care less
    are you still here?
    Ye...

Sorry I just got so bored I couldn't finish that sentence.

are you still here?
    Ye...

Sorry I just got so bored I couldn't finish that sentence.
    why dont you go out? it doesnt look healthy spending your whole day on here insulting red haired people now does it :-P

couldn't care less
    why dont you go out? it doesnt look healthy spending your whole day on here insulting red haired people now does it :-P
    Most people here are just having a laugh. Try not to be so serious.

You might discover it's even good for you.

Change your complexion no end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭BMF Plint

GINGERVITIS is a horrible disease that needs to be wiped out.. It is the single most horrible infliction that is responsible for parents not loving there kids and receiving scorn from the masses growing up. It is an abomination of our time that needs massive funds from the IMF and ECB and stop all the research on aids to eradicate this vile disease for ever...

I'm only joking of coarse....

• Advertisement

Most people here are just having a laugh. Try not to be so serious.

You might discover it's even good for you.

Change your complexion no end!
    wow! i dont find anything you say funny at all. sorry buddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

didn't you read the other thread? he doesn't have a girlfriend, leave him alone!

didn't you read the other thread? he doesn't have a girlfriend, leave him alone!
    aww :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 MrMickeyMouse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-Owf9U19Nc

I think Cartman sums it up nicely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

I'd be proud of having a child that would carry on my redhead gene :D:D

Pfft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

All gingers should be rounded up and put into work concentration re-colouring camps.

That'd learn em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭Ms Minnie Mouse

I had foxy hair as a little girl - still love the photo of me with my natural red hair (have to say, with no freckles and dark greenish eyes so I was never truly ginger). Had all the redheaded jokes plus 'goofy' teasing - later the flat-chested bullying.

Now just have dark chestnut hair, no longer goofy but still so flat the walls are jealous.

I'd prefer to still be a redhead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Rather ginger than the typical Irish mouse brown.
    Love the comments on the pallor of redheads, I'm assuming these come from the california brown Irish :lol: Fact is we're all as pasty grey as each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭Ms Minnie Mouse

Fact is we're all as pasty grey as each other.

Actually, I need to correct you there.

Redheads generally have more sense than to paint themselves with creosote fake tan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Has anyone ever seen a ginger couple?

I've heard tell of such an occurrence in the old manuscripts, but I've yet to see it with my own eyes. It must be a wondrous sight.

My cousin and her partner are both ginger , they have two boys but they're not flaming red ginger like you would expect , they're both really dark red.

My nanny had 12 children , 2 are ginger but I'd say about 8 of her children have had children with red hair.

My little girl is ginger despite neither my husband or I having ginger parents or siblings. It was a real shock when she was born but she is so pretty. She gets an awful time from other kids with the usual carrot head , carrot top and head on fire comments but adults are the opposite. Everywhere we go she gets stopped and complimented on how beautiful her hair is. I bet no one ever stops a blonde or brunette child to compliment them on their hair.

I hate that she gets such an awful time from other kids but I wouldnt change her hair colour for anything , I love it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Growing up I was always told that people with red hair were real Celts, the real Irish people, freckles and pure white Celtic (nearly translucent) skin!

Turns out that most red heads are to be found in Portugal, then Scotland, and then Ireland, in that order I think?
    I read this somewhere ages ago, cant remember the source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I have to admit, if my child were ginger I would be a little disappointed.

It's not just the hair, you can dye hair. It's the skin.

9 times out of 10, gingers are horribly pallid, sickly looking creatures.

And spotty.

Certainly,freckles in sunshine too.

Not a sign of beauty.

And lets just hope the child shan't be hairy too. A horrible combination.

I have a ginger relative - a cousin. Bit of a black sheep. Into Death Metal and all that. Doesn't join in on family picnics. Not the most gregarious. None of the family traits that characterise the rest of us. All in all a decent, genial sort of chap but as I say, a bit different. Can't quite put my finger on it.

I wouldn't be grief stricken. I'd try to love the child, I probably wouldn't put the thing up for adoption. You try to do your best in these situations.
    i am fair haired, i have three red heads, the girls can be snappy, the lad is more laid back, i find that the redheads must be warmer than others, as they dont wear that much clothing in winter, and they only have the duvet over them during freezing spells,
    so i wonder is it that they are hotter blooded than the rest of us, my girls go round in flip flops during winter while i have boots and wolly socks on to keep out the cold,
    I LOVE MY REDHEADS.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

Karen23 wrote: »
    My cousin and her partner are both ginger , they have two boys but they're not flaming red ginger like you would expect , they're both really dark red.

My nanny had 12 children , 2 are ginger but I'd say about 8 of her children have had children with red hair.

My little girl is ginger despite neither my husband or I having ginger parents or siblings. It was a real shock when she was born but she is so pretty. She gets an awful time from other kids with the usual carrot head , carrot top and head on fire comments but adults are the opposite.

Yeah, I can relate to this. Neither of my parents have red hair....a quirk I used to put down to weird dna in the family. But now I'm older I think mum probably had it off with the milkman.

And you tell those mean kids in school that if they don't stop teasing your girl that a much bigger person (Who's also ginger. Well, auburn, really) from the internet will come around and tell them off....or ring up Joe Duffy to complain.

I remember when my aunt was pregnant on her first child and she said she didnt mind if she had a boy or girl once it didnt have red hair , well she had a boy and he has red hair. She went on to have two more boys with red hair so there is a lesson for all you ginger haters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Abi wrote: »
    You're taking it too personally, sure blondes are deemed 'stupid'. It's only light-hearted ribbing. When you're ready there, have a look at what I voted.

I had red hair as a young lad which got darker over the years from the time I was about 12. It's gone so brown nowadays that nobody would know I was a redhead first most of the time. I get light-hearted ribbing from friends (who only noticed when they saw pictures of me as a kid) and family (neither parent, nor any of my siblings are red in the slightest - nearest redhead relation is a second cousin of my dad). This I accept, they don't mean anything by it and I give as good as I get. That's a bit of craic.

However all the way through primary - and continued through secondary by some people was anything but 'light-hearted ribbing' it was abuse and verged on bullying, year after year after year from people who meant it to hurt. Did I take it personally? Damn right I did, and it's a topic that is close to home so I try to knock it on the head whenever I can so other kids can grow up without being victims to it. What adults engage in as 'light hearted ribbing' filters down to their kids as vicious insults no matter the subject matter, red hair, skin colour, religion, ethnic background.

Even from adults who should have known better I got it.

I remember playing hurling with my local club and having a local grown man (who knew my name well enough) of about 50 years of age shout at me throughout a match using ginger/redzer/red etc etc to get my attention... cue lots of laughter from the others on the pitch, teammates and opposition.
    One would think that even moreso with red hair, it would be obvious that people are joking. Nobody seriously feels antipathy toward people with red hair.

Actually having known someone who was kicked hard only a few weeks ago as he left a pub in Dublin city centre by a complete stranger and told 'it's kick a ginger day' to the amusement of many others.... that some people do take it seriously, seriously enough to physically interfere someone they don't know. Of course it all starts off as a joke. I also know of grown men who have been slagged off on buses about their hair from teenagers etc. Obviously a joke? Hardly.
    I can understand that children can be cruel, but it's bizarre that people take this so seriously, on the internet, in adulthood.

As above. Tell me what was the recurring theme of the bullying for 8 years of your childhood?
    Abi wrote: »
    Exactly. It's not just hair colour kids slag each other off on, it could be teeth / nose / height - anything basically!

...so that means it's okay to engage in it as adults then? Or that it doesn't have an effect on others? Or that it makes it any less hypocritical that it's okay to engage in slagging off redheads on this site but be subjected to infractions for slagging 'redskins'? Just what is it that makes hair colour so different from skin colour in the grander scheme of things?
    To be fair, I don't care about the slaggings, but the fact is that there are some people that really DO treat redheads with less respect than they do other people. It's shocking, and people are right in saying that if it was down to another genetic trait, like skin colour, it wouldn't be tolerated.

+1, this idea of 'it's only a bit of fun' perpetuates the actions of the playground bully. Monkey see, monkey do. Where kids are exposed to adults who engage in this kind of stupidity they will carry it out themselves which long lasting consequences for the brunt of their 'jokes'.

• Advertisement

Hee, sensitive gingers, as if.

Pretending to have a soul.

Yeah, I can relate to this. Neither of my parents have red hair....a quirk I used to put down to weird dna in the family. But now I'm older I think mum probably had it off with the milkman.

And you tell those mean kids in school that if they don't stop teasing your girl that a much bigger person (Who's also ginger. Well, auburn, really) from the internet will come around and tell them off....or ring up Joe Duffy to complain.

ha ha , my husband did give me a very funny look when she was born , only for the fact that apart from her colouring she is the image of him there could have been real trouble :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

But now I'm older I think mum probably had it off with the milkman..

Did you not get that one as a kid? That was a common one round my way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I hated being ginger when I was younger, but now I love it...turns out Asian girls love it! Oh the babes I've had!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

I have 4 flamehaired nieces, two are brothers kids and one is sisters. There are no redheads in my immediate family (brown eyes, brown hair, sallow skin) at all and the new batch of kids just keep popping out red, it's weird. Anyway, they are all stunning, beautiful features, porcelain skin. Anyone should be envious to have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

prinz wrote: »
    Did you not get that one as a kid? That was a common one round my way.

Not the milkman jibe, no.

They just teased me about being adopted....which was bull****, of course. I have the certificate from Jeremy Kyle to prove it.

Not the milkman jibe, no.

They just teased me about being adopted....which was bull****, of course. I have the certificate from Jeremy Kyle to prove it.

Yeah, who'd adopt a ginger?

But now I'm older I think mum probably had it off with the milkman.
    Kanoe wrote: »
    the new batch of kids just keep popping out red

We joked about a ginger milkman doing the rounds because over the last few years most of our friends have had a ginger kids even though none of our group of friends have red hair.

couldn't care less
    Getting a bit fiesty in here.

Lets all watch some dolphins and relax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

I'm ginger and quite like my hair, I have the ends of my hair naturally ombre (fading into blond) as my hair turns golden blonde with the sun. Here's a photo of mine, it looks kind of dark also ignore my creepers face that I seem to be wearing.https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/227897_10150203311929337_696714336_6612787_1718617_n.jpg

I used to hate my hair but now I like it. I think ginger just suits some people and not others. Some dress their clothes well with their ginger and some just don't which ends up making them look worse to be honest.

At the end of the day all I have to do with my hair is wash it and leave to dry naturally where as majority of the country spend hours styling it so believe I win bitches. :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement