Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Ginger Gene

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

couldn't care less
    prinz wrote: »
    Actually having known someone who was kicked hard only a few weeks ago as he left a pub in Dublin city centre by a complete stranger and told 'it's kick a ginger day' to the amusement of many others....
    How do you know if the man had been wearing preppie clothes it wouldn't have been 'kick a preppie day'?

Are you telling me this man was targeted - completely out of the blue - and was beaten up for no reason but that some people supposedly hate gingers? Not because that man was looking to fight *anyone*?

You're really saying that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

Karen23 wrote: »
    We joked about a ginger milkman doing the rounds because over the last few years most of our friends have had a ginger kids even though none of our group of friends have red hair.
    my brothers did marry blondes, wouldn't have thought of them as red heads at all really but I suppose they must have been "strawberry" blonde when they were younger. Still though, fair play they produced really striking kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

couldn't care less
    I'm ginger and quite like my hair, I have the ends of my hair naturally ombre (fading into blond) as my hair turns golden blonde with the sun. Here's a photo of mine, it looks kind of dark also ignore my creepers face that I seem to be wearing.https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/227897_10150203311929337_696714336_6612787_1718617_n.jpg

I used to hate my hair but now I like it. I think ginger just suits some people and not others. Some dress their clothes well with their ginger and some just don't which ends up making them look worse to be honest.

At the end of the day all I have to do with my hair is wash it and leave to dry naturally where as majority of the country spend hours styling it so believe I win bitches. :cool:
    I admit it, it's a hot ginge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

It's hilarious how many people thing having red hair is a serious problem in life. I remember a woman telling me (while staring at my mop of red hair) that her daughter had just had a baby and had been hoping the child wouldn't be ginger. She knew there was a possibility of it as the father was ginger, and as it turned out the child was, but she seemed to be coping ok with it. :rolleyes:

I don't know whether she wanted sympathy from me or reassurance that it's possible to cope with day to day life as a redhead. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

LordSutch wrote: »
    Growing up I was always told that people with red hair were real Celts, the real Irish people, freckles and pure white Celtic (nearly translucent) skin!

Turns out that most red heads are to be found in Portugal, then Scotland, and then Ireland, in that order I think?
    I read this somewhere ages ago, cant remember the source.

"The hair colour of the Irish is predominantly brown. Less than 15% have black or ashen hair; 50% have dark brown hair. Medium brown hues make up another 15%. Persons with blond and light brown hair account for close to 5%, while approximately 10% have auburn or red hair. Both golden and dark brown shades can be seen in the south-western counties of Ireland, but fairest hair in general is most common in the Central Plain.[14] Ulster has been evidenced to have the highest frequencies of red hair :rolleyes: , with the lowest found in Wexford :D and Waterford.

Studies have indicated the Irish are "almost uniquely pale skinned when unexposed, untanned parts of the body, are observed" and "40% of the entire group are freckled to some extent." Moreover, "in the proportion of pure light eyes", data shows that "Ireland competes successfully with the blondest regions of Scandinavia", as approximately 42% of the Irish population have pure blue eyes. Another 30% have been found to possess light-mixed eyes and "less than 1 half of 1% have pure brown".

Looks like many on this thread want be be more Spanish looking, black hair & brown eyes, a bit of the tarbrush about them? Or more likely fake tans!!!

50% of the British population has the red gene, so most probably so do the Irish :eek:

You all need to embrace your ginger side!!!!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

It's hilarious how many people thing having red hair is a serious problem in life. I remember a woman telling me (while staring at my mop of red hair) that her daughter had just had a baby and had been hoping the child wouldn't be ginger. She knew there was a possibility of it as the father was ginger, and as it turned out the child was, but she seemed to be coping ok with it. :rolleyes:

I don't know whether she wanted sympathy from me or reassurance that it's possible to cope with day to day life as a redhead. :confused:

non confident redheads should go to the hairdressers daily and get major ego boosts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

non confident redheads should go to the hairdressers daily and get major ego boosts.

Yeah, that's a good idea.:pac:

I really like your colour in the picture btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

Christ, i got off easy as a kid reading here, i cant remember ever getting a slagging in school ever. I've a weird ginger combo though, its funny how much my hair has changed colour and gotten alot darker as i got older, its more brown now, i've no freckles, blond eyebrows and eyelashes and tanned skin with blue eyes. Girls love it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Presume people with red-hair are sometimes the butt of jokes because of their relative rarity; even in this country, famous for its supposedly large number of red-haired people, red-haired people are, relatively, uncommon.
    Think some posters here have gone overboard on the notion of being persecuted for it; but then again, i suppose, if you've been hearing that sh*te all the time since a young age it's bound to become, at the very least, a pain in the hole after a while.
    What i really don't get is the 'ginger' jokes that have become especially prevelant in the last while.
    Whenever i hear people making them, i tend assume that that person is an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Maedbhish

Where is the "disown" option??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

ascanbe wrote: »
    What i really don't get is the 'ginger' jokes that have become especially prevelant in the last while.

It's a British media thing. Since British TV has become more prevalent here in the last 20 years, we have picked up on a lot of British mannerisms and slang.

I never heard the term ginger or ginga etc while growing up and only really became aware of it when I lived in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

later10 wrote: »
    How do you know if the man had been wearing preppie clothes it wouldn't have been 'kick a preppie day'?

You do know about the whole publicised Kick A Ginger Day yes? November 20th, and yes, that's the actual day the incident occurred.
    BRITISH COLUMBIA — When Nanaimo high school student Aaron Mishkin appeared for classes Thursday, he heard his classmates talking about “kick-a-ginger day.”

It was the first the 13-year-old redhead had heard about the online phenomenon, and initially he thought nothing of it.

“But then I left the class, and we have seven minutes to get to the next class, and I was amazed by the amount of people that kicked me along the way,” said Mishkin.

Over the course of the day, Mishkin figures he was kicked or hit about 80 times, all because of a Facebook group, apparently inspired by an episode of the satirical cartoon South Park that urged members to “kick a ginger” on Nov. 20.

In Sooke, west of Victoria, more than 20 students at Journey Middle School were suspended after shocked teachers received complaints they were kicking redheads.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/story.html?id=ac06eaac-1cb1-4ee7-8e17-a9b8b314af71

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/canada/3498766/Facebook-Kick-a-Ginger-campaign-prompts-attacks-on-redheads.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/facebook-kick-a-ginger-day-sparks-attacks-1827211.html

later10 wrote: »
    Are you telling me this man was targeted - completely out of the blue - and was beaten up for no reason but that some people supposedly hate gingers? Not because that man was looking to fight *anyone*?
    You're really saying that?

Firstly I never said he was "beaten up", I said he was kicked once, to provide laughs for a group of tools who were total strangers to him. Secondly what else that group of twats might have hypothetically found to abuse someone over is completely irrelevant tbh.

I don't mind a bit of slagging from friends over it, but this notion that it's ok to slag someone over hair colour is idiotic. It makes no more sense than slagging someone over skin colour, none whatsoever... and it's this kind of attitude that leads to morons using it deliberately to insult people, not by 'gentle ribbing' but by serious insults and bullying. Light hearted slagging is fine, it happens, especially on boards, what I don't get is why it's fine with some things, but not with others..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

ascanbe wrote: »
    Presume people with red-hair are sometimes the butt of jokes because of their relative rarity; even in this country, famous for its supposedly large number of red-haired people, red-haired people are, relatively, uncommon.
    Think some posters here have gone overboard on the notion of being persecuted for it; but then again, i suppose, if you've been hearing that sh*te all the time since a young age it's bound to become, at the very least, a pain in the hole after a while.

Look at the ginger lad in harry potter,he gets an awful doing over it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Look at the ginger lad in harry potter,he gets an awful doing over it!

exactly, British influence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

Isla Fisher is fantastic looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

lastlaugh wrote: »
    Isla Fisher is fantastic looking.

Apart from that time she was anorexic on Home and Away, with the done up in grey make up etc. Shocking. :pac: Ah one of the red heads I first "looked up to" as a kid.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I think we're done now.

Let's try our best to not turn after hours into a primary school lunch break.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement