Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Craft-beers Pubs Meet-up for Christmas?

• 09-12-2011 4:12pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A few of us have been talking about this for a while (I think I said it to TestTransmission and XiledSniper as far back as September) but we never got around to planning it.

If people suggest venues and dates I'll add a poll to the thread later. It'd be great to catch up with some familiar faces, and it's a nice way to get to know new folk around town as well.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Some obvious recommended locations:

The Curragower
    The Locke
    O'Connell's
    Nancy Blake's
    Mickey Martin's
    Tom Collins'
    The Wicked Chicken
    Punche's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

Some obvious recommended locations:

The Curragower
    The Locke
    O'Connell's
    Nancy Blake's
    Mickey Martin's
    Tom Collins'
    The Wicked Chicken
    Punche's

Paddy Frawleys and the Blind Pig are doing craft beers now also. Beer Baron will have the full list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Paddy Frawleys and the Blind Pig :confused::confused::confused:

Where are they? Also can we get a list of craft beers that are available in these places?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Would love to meet up for this, any dates decided yet? Its most likely going to be a weekend thing, then I can rule myself out for the rest of the month :(

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

RonMexico wrote: »
    Paddy Frawleys and the Blind Pig :confused::confused::confused:

Where are they? Also can we get a list of craft beers that are available in these places?

The blind pig is under the gay bar :pac:
    Entrance is on foxes bow to the underground. Nice place has only recently opened.Was there myself last night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

Punches selection is crap, was there Friday night, the barman basically said theyd given up on it.

Most of the menu they had was unavailable. Was very disappointed with it.

Mickeys has the following beers,

Paulaner and Hoegarden on draught.
    Ashai, Erdinger, Erdinger Snow, Krombacher, Budvar and Hollows ginger beer in bottles.

Paddy Frawleys is the new bar at the side of Aubars. They have Pilsner Urquel on draught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Sounds good guys. I love craft beers... I am great at making pint glasses out of patchwork and felt, with nice pretty ribbons and stuff. Then I use gold thread to stitch the 'beer' part to make it look authentic. I didn't know so many of ye lot were into crafting!*

*It's ok, just 'cause I'm a girl it doesn't mean I don't know what craft beers really are :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I'm not surpised about Punches. I tried to engage them about listing my beers and was ignored on a number of occassions. As a salesman I am used to this but their location as a "Brewbar" was all wrong.

The Blind Pig does have a good selection of crap beers because many of them are actually mine. :p

I tell you what. If I can agree with a publican(whom has my beers) to let you lot in. I will get him/her to give you all a free bottle of craft beer(from my list) for free. After that you are on your own.

I suggest this http://www.shepherdneame.co.uk/shop/p-60-1698-bottle-conditioned-ale-two-cases-of-8-x-500ml-bottles.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

I'll come...most likely wont be drinking though....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I'll probably show my face but I won't be drinking beer :o

I'll come...most likely wont be drinking though....

Non Alcoholic for you.
    I'll probably show my face but I won't be drinking beer :o

Cider?

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Cider?

Preferably Bulmers but I'm open to trying new ones :pac:

Preferably Bulmers but I'm open to trying new ones :pac:

Aspall it is so. All 7% ABV of it. :D

http://dev.aspall.co.uk/products/cyder/organic-3-6-12.html

Speaking of Beer. I just cracked open a bottle of Erdinger Snowbeer. Nyom Nyom. I wouldn't have bothered except I'm reading 3 different threads on 3 different forums about booze. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

can anyone help me out with the illiterate man's guide to craft beers or what exactly ARE craft beers? i've seen it build momentum over the last year or so and admittedly im not a big drinker and have only ever drank guinness really, but there's names of german beers and stuff being thrown about in here and i havent a clue "is it home brewed beers? micro-brewery beer? etc", i mean, if they truly are craft beers, does this not mean that they'd surely be unable to make said beer in large quantities, and then also would your particular favored brand of craft beer not be hard to get?

at the risk of sounding like a complete numpty- i dont know what a tracker mortgage craft beer is! :o

I think the term has given itself different options because of the, current, fast pace it has in Ireland.

Craft Beer generally only refers to a Micro Brewery but who is to say when they stop getting that reference.(500ltrs a month/ 10,000 litres a month) :confused:

A good Craft/Microbrewery would be the Roadside Tavern in Lisdoonvarna http://www.roadsidetavern.ie/roadside/asp/page.asp?p=Burren%20Brewery

One which has more or less moved from the Microbrewery to relative mainstream and stardom would be O'Haras which is by the Carlow Brewing Company. You can find some of their brands in places such as Sainsbursy in Glasgow(I found one anyway).

http://www.carlowbrewing.com/

Galway Hooker is another. 2 guys really and one Ford Transit. Good product can be found locally in Limerick
    http://www.galwayhooker.ie/site/warning/flash/ They call it an IPA(Irish Pale Ale) although really the term IPA means India Pale Ale from its original origin but I like his play on words.

Galway Bay Brewery in Salthill is another http://www.winefoodbeer.com/brewery/

Frankly the names I have like Erdinger, Budvar, Aspall, Shepherd Neames are not quite Craft anymore and certainly not Microbrewery. Yes, there is a craft around it but then again Carling could claim similar.

Generally if its not mainstream like Carling,Bud,Heino,Guinness etc then it is normally considered craft, unique, quirky.

I should point out that the above is my personal opinion and not always agreed with by others as, well, everybodys different.

Non Alcoholic for you.

Actually yes...i seen one of my mates drinking non alcoholic erdinger recently and i was thinking i must try that!!!

Actually yes...i seen one of my mates drinking non alcoholic erdinger recently and i was thinking i must try that!!!

Erdinger N/A is always a good seller in November and December because some go off drink for November and then with Christmas parties loads are drinking Non Alco. Good for business.

Bonus = Drinking in a pub and looking like you have a pint stops people pestering you with "Sur' go on you'll have a drink" or " Are you on antibiotics or something?"

:D

Becks, thankfully for me, has taken a backseat recently with Erdinger doing fairly well. Had a few nice write ups in the Sunday papers recently as well.

Worthy of its own post.

I have an informal agreement(as of 30 minutes ago) with The Blind Pig on Thomas Street/Foxes Bow(great range of craft / micro brewed beers) that if people do visit the pub they will get a free bottle of a really lovely Ale for free. (1 Each). (It's coming out of my pocket remember)

If people are up for it that would be the place to start off I guess.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003098075054

Erdinger N/A is always a good seller in November and December because some go off drink for November and then with Christmas parties loads are drinking Non Alco. Good for business.

Bonus = Drinking in a pub and looking like you have a pint stops people pestering you with "Sur' go on you'll have a drink" or " Are you on antibiotics or something?"

:D

Becks, thankfully for me, has taken a backseat recently with Erdinger doing fairly well. Had a few nice write ups in the Sunday papers recently as well.

i was in foleys! took me a while to remember!

i think i had NA becks once....i dont remember it being all the nice

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Aspall it is so. All 7% ABV of it. :D

http://dev.aspall.co.uk/products/cyder/organic-3-6-12.html

Speaking of Beer. I just cracked open a bottle of Erdinger Snowbeer. Nyom Nyom. I wouldn't have bothered except I'm reading 3 different threads on 3 different forums about booze. :(

Omnomnomnomnomnom I looooove Aspall cider (or do they spell it "cyder") I hope to be back visiting in Limerick soon enough, if this is a week night I might just be able to swing it. Would be good to see ya'll!

i was in foleys! took me a while to remember!

i think i had NA becks once....i dont remember it being all the nice

Erdinger n/a is a far superior beer as its brewed to be non alcoholic from the start were as Becks etc. have the alcohol removed after brewing.

adaminho wrote: »
    Erdinger n/a is a far superior beer as its brewed to be non alcoholic from the start were as Becks etc. have the alcohol removed after brewing.

The last time I said that on Beer/Wine/Spirits forum I was told "Where's the proof - provide links" so I didn't bother mentioning it again. :o

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What nights of the week suit most people?

A proper trek around the different bars would probably need a Friday/Saturday, but meeting early-ish and visiting 3-5 pubs could probably be done mid-week.

Most night except Tuesday coming & Friday/Saturday(Birthday - Out of town).

Add a Poll maybe?

A proper trek around the different bars would probably need a Friday/Saturday, but meeting early-ish and visiting 3-5 pubs could probably be done mid-week.

I'm a friday/saturday type of guy...week nights generally involve being stuck in work or throwing people...if its a really interesting night...then both...

Any time during the week (bar next Friday and/or Saturday) suits :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Doesnt the Strand serve Hoegarden too? Sunday and Mondays would suit me but if its planned after dec - I am sure I could book a night off for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Omnomnomnomnomnom I looooove Aspall cider (or do they spell it "cyder") I hope to be back visiting in Limerick soon enough, if this is a week night I might just be able to swing it. Would be good to see ya'll!

Their organic cyder is really really good, and their Cru is delicious. Their Draught cyder is a bit ordinary though.

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    Their organic cyder is really really good, and their Cru is delicious. Their Draught cyder is a bit ordinary though.

Draught = 5% ABV
    Prem Cru and Organic = 7% ABV = Always the winner. :D MOAR ALCOHOL :D

Draught = 5% ABV
    Prem Cru and Organic = 7% ABV = Always the winner. :D MOAR ALCOHOL :D

The nicer taste helps as well. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Was in the Blind Pig last night, nice place, it was quiet enough tho.

Was also in Dolans, Foleys, Mickey Martins and Costelloes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Was in the Blind Pig last night, nice place, it was quiet enough tho.

Was also in Dolans, Foleys, Mickey Martins and Costelloes :D

:eek:
    How's the head after that?
    Dolan's was pretty rockin' I didn't stick around for FRED but I was well impressed with El Hombre Jokes, Tucan and RSAG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

I'd be up for it, I've always loved craft/world beers

How's the head after that?

I must admit, today is not one of my finer moments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

Is that available in Limerick?

Is that available in Limerick?

Yes in most O'Briens and Macs off License and The Blind Pig Bar.

Yes in most O'Briens and Macs off License and The Blind Pig Bar.

Next Door Off-Licence on the Father Russell road stock it as well, and are pretty good for ordering in whatever quantities one requires.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

adaminho wrote: »
    Paddy Frawleys is the new bar at the side of Aubars. They have Pilsner Urquel on draught.

Pilsner Urquell. On Draught. In Limerick!!!!

My head just exploded. Why the feck am i in Roscrea tonight instead of Limerick :cry:

Thank you for this info, you've made me very happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Kess73 wrote: »
    Next Door Off-Licence on the Father Russell road stock it as well, and are pretty good for ordering in whatever quantities one requires.

Any Pubs in Limerick that might have a good range of Cider's for me to try ?
    I mainly drink from home, not liking to be drunk on the town.

Must pay another visit and try the Aspall again.
    Bought a bottle a while back and thought I did not like it but will
    try it again. Desmond stocks a fair amount of different types of Cider
    which suits me since I don't drink anything but Cider or Vodka.

I like dry non scrumpy ciders. Hudson Blue I loved and cant find anything that
    tastes like it nowadays. Inch's stone house I've found lovely but not all places sell it. (Centra near South Court get it yet Nextdoor cannot despite me asking for the last few years)

Been brewing me own cider lately. The cheapest Magnum kit tastes MANKY no matter how long you leave it to mature.
    The Strawberry Cider version of the same brand tastes OK if you mix it with a tiny bit of Ribina. I've yet to try the pear cider.
    All the ones I've tried to home brew are pretty rough on the stomach and if your sensitive to yeast tends require
    the more than expected trip to the bog.

Had a load of beer I brewed but nobody I knew was brave enough to try it apart from my boss
    who gladly took several bottles (since it was free and I was trying to get rid of it)...Sadly I did not poison him with it and
    he survived.

~B

• Advertisement

right so IO a date please good sir...

*22nd is the club night out if you do not attend you must spar everyone in the club....see i warned you

How about this Friday, the 16th?

How about this Friday, the 16th?

Could be good for me anyway,depending on how hungover I am from the night before though

Might be in Dublin this weekend. Not sure if I'll make friday. :(

I'll accept that :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

Friday sounds good to me,

• Registered Users Posts: 46 krochford

any chance this could be held off till, or repeted on christmas week. im home from my self impossed exile in the uk on the 27th and as a few of ye know i enjoy my craft beers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Super dooper. But ye all gotta promise to be nice cause I'm the new girl....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Super dooper. But ye all gotta promise to be nice cause I'm the new girl....

awh, damn, *puts away slime bucket for another day* :p

i was gonna say buffalo pee but with craft beers i imagine there isnt a whole lot goes to waste when pouring craft beers... :D

em, "buffalo pee" isnt what it sounds like either, BB or anyone who's worked in a bar should understand the reference, its the dregs of beer that drips into the beer trays under the taps! :o

although BB mentioned carling could be considered a craft beer, carling really IS just straight up camel pee! :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Friday could work for me...

• Advertisement
Advertisement