Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Foundation

• 09-12-2011 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am looking to get a new foundation. Currently I have the three following foundations:

Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation
    Bobbi Brown Natural Finish Long Lasting Foundation
    Bobbi Brown Luminous Moisturising Foundation

I like the skin foundation, but find it's very light, even with two thin layers, I'm looking for something a little heavier, but nothing too heavy. I suppose 'moderate' coverage is what I am looking for?

The Natural finish foundation is lovely, my only problem is, it shows up all the dry patches (mainly around my nose and between my eyebrows).

The Luminous Moisturising foundation is lovely, but leaves my face looking very shiny, as if my face was greasy (it's not), so I'm not too keen on it.

I am going to Dublin tomorrow and will be going into Brown Thomas for a foundation consultation, but I'm looking for recommendations/suggestions for any foundations or cosmetics brands. I have dry-combination skin.

Any and all help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭ShortskirtCiara

I would recommend popping into Make Up Forever on Clarendon Row, bought their foundation about 3months and i absolutely love it. Like you I have dry/combination skin and the foundation I use is brilliant. It's the HD Foundation, I wear the 120shade.They will recommend a shade for you and will give you samples to try out before you buy as well. Hope ya get sorted! Let us know how you get on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Corruptable

Might need planning permission for that, luv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I would recommend popping into Make Up Forever on Clarendon Row, bought their foundation about 3months and i absolutely love it. Like you I have dry/combination skin and the foundation I use is brilliant. It's the HD Foundation, I wear the 120shade.They will recommend a shade for you and will give you samples to try out before you buy as well. Hope ya get sorted! Let us know how you get on :)
    Thanks so much Ciara, unfortunately I won't be in Ranelagh (Google Maps shows Clarendon Row in Ranelagh, apologies if I am wrong, I am not too familiar with Dublin).:(

I'll be around the Henry St, O'Connell St and Grafton St areas.

I appreciate your suggestion though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Might need planning permission for that, luv.

Please stay on topic thank you. If you have nothing to add, don't bother contributing

PB, Make Up Forever is actually on Clarendon Street, very close to Stephen's Green Shopping Centre.

I'd also recommend Nars in Brown Thomas. Have only had a taster of their foundation but I found it excellent, and stayed on my face in NY July heat! Wide range of colours.

Be prepared for town to be jammers, get in as early as you can so you can get some good one on one time with the counters.

Persoanlly, I use Mac Studio Sculpt and really like it. Very good coverage and long lasting, in my opinion. But, I think I'm going to go for Nars on when I run out next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

If you're looking at MAC I'd recommend their Mineralize Foundation SPF 15.

It's a cream compact that gives moderate coverage. I find it gives very even coverage (I have combo skin) and leaves my skin with a dewy look, not caked or heavy. It comes with a sponge applicator but I find the MAC 130 brush really good for flawless blending.

According to the MAC website it's particularly good for normal or dry skin so it may work for you.

• Advertisement

Twee. wrote: »
    Please stay on topic thank you. If you have nothing to add, don't bother contributing

PB, Make Up Forever is actually on Clarendon Street, very close to Stephen's Green Shopping Centre.

I'd also recommend Nars in Brown Thomas. Have only had a taster of their foundation but I found it excellent, and stayed on my face in NY July heat! Wide range of colours.

Be prepared for town to be jammers, get in as early as you can so you can get some good one on one time with the counters.

Persoanlly, I use Mac Studio Sculpt and really like it. Very good coverage and long lasting, in my opinion. But, I think I'm going to go for Nars on when I run out next.
    Cheers for the helps guys, really appreciate it, will try and get to Make Up Forever, I should be in the city for around 10.30am so hopefully it won't be too busy at that time.

Which NARS foundation was it Twee? I've heard their sheer glow is meant to be good.

Thanks again for all the help, really appreciate it :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Cheers for the helps guys, really appreciate it, will try and get to Make Up Forever, I should be in the city for around 10.30am so hopefully it won't be too busy at that time.

Which NARS foundation was it Twee? I've heard their sheer glow is meant to be good.

Thanks again for all the help, really appreciate it :D

I can't remember which one I tried :o

Best of luck anyway, let us know how you get on!

Went into BTs Bobbi Brown were too busy for a foundation fitting, I didn't go near M.A.C as there was three queues for the checkout and only 3 or 4 MAC staff on the floor.

I went over to Chanel then and the girl there wasn't a bit helpful. I asked if she had time to do a foundation fitting and she said a make over would be better for me, it costs €40 and is redeemable against products and that was it, she went off to do something else.

So then I went to the NARS counter and the girl there was so lovely and really, really helpful. She tried their Sheer Glow foundation (I can't remember what shade) and I was meant to go back into with a sample pot for her to give me a sample, unfortunately I didn't get back into her :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

that's a shame that they were so unhelpful. I take it you didn't get it in the end?
    If you didn't have the opportunity to get into bt or debenhams again, maybe try one from boots to tide you over?
    I like Revlon colourstay and bourjois healthy mix, although I don't have the same skin type as you so I can't comment on the dry/combination formulations.

kandr10 wrote: »
    that's a shame that they were so unhelpful. I take it you didn't get it in the end?
    If you didn't have the opportunity to get into bt or debenhams again, maybe try one from boots to tide you over?
    I like Revlon colourstay and bourjois healthy mix, although I don't have the same skin type as you so I can't comment on the dry/combination formulations.
    No I didn't back in unfortunately.

I won't try any from Boots 'cause I can never find any colours to suit my skin tone. They are always too dark for me :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Fiii

I got Nars Sheer Glow and love it, but I find myself going back to L'Oreal True Match over and over!
    It gives a really nice buildable coverage, and is only about €15-17 I think.
    It goes very pale too - I think I'm the palest a girl with dark hair can be, and even I am a mix between C1 and C2.
    The C shades are a touch pink, while the N shades have a little more yellow to them.
    Worth giving them a try if you're stuck. :)

No I didn't back in unfortunately.

I won't try any from Boots 'cause I can never find any colours to suit my skin tone. They are always too dark for me :(
    Just realised what I said here.

I should have said I would try something from Boots if I could find something suitable and pale enough.

Apologies.

Would you say you have more pink tones or yellow tones in your skin? My sister has extremely pale and is pink toned and she uses the Loreal true match too. Looks great on her. I use Revlon colorstay in buff, which is yellow toned (they do one called ivory I think which is about as pale but pink toned). I thought I was pale (I'm fair haired and don't think I've ever been within 3ft of a tan!), however I found the buff too light for me.
    I've never tried it but I've heard good reviews of soap and glory's new foundation.
    I'd suggest trying those and the bourjois healthy mix.
    Even if they weren't perfect matches, it might just tide you over til you got a chance to get a fitting in a high end place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

I should have said I would try something from Boots if I could find something suitable and pale enough.

Apologies.

I seen in your other posts that you live near Mullingar. Have you tried Mullingar Pharmacy? They have Estee Lauder and a couple of other counters and the staff are really helpful in there! I used to go to Dublin to get my foundation but you get tired of people trying to sell ya stuff instead of helping you choose something that suits your skin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭slowmoe

Purple bobbin, this is just a suggestion so feel free to say no, but i could get you a couple of foundation samples i'm sure and post to you to save you the trip? You offered to send me something in another thread which is really kind of you so maybe i could help you in return?

Would you say you have more pink tones or yellow tones in your skin? My sister has extremely pale and is pink toned and she uses the Loreal true match too. Looks great on her. I use Revlon colorstay in buff, which is yellow toned (they do one called ivory I think which is about as pale but pink toned). I thought I was pale (I'm fair haired and don't think I've ever been within 3ft of a tan!), however I found the buff too light for me.
    I've never tried it but I've heard good reviews of soap and glory's new foundation.
    I'd suggest trying those and the bourjois healthy mix.
    Even if they weren't perfect matches, it might just tide you over til you got a chance to get a fitting in a high end place :)
    I'd say I am more yellow toned, but I'm not 100% sure on that, it's just a guess really.

I know the Bobbi Brown foundations I use are yellow toned (hence why I have the idea my skin is yellow toned).

If I found something in Boots that was pale enough and suited me, I'd stick with it. I'm only going with high end 'cause I can find pale enough colours for my skin.
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    I seen in your other posts that you live near Mullingar. Have you tried Mullingar Pharmacy? They have Estee Lauder and a couple of other counters and the staff are really helpful in there! I used to go to Dublin to get my foundation but you get tired of people trying to sell ya stuff instead of helping you choose something that suits your skin!
    I have been into Mullingar pharmacy numerous times and while the staff have been helpful, I haven't found a foundation there that I like. I've tried Clarins, Clinique, Estée Lauder and Lancôme and didn't find anything.

I also find with a few staff members there (I won't say who) I feel they try and pressure me into buying something there and then (which I won't do, unless I know for sure it will work for me). I couldn't justify spending €20+ euros on something which I may end up giving away.
    slowmoe wrote: »
    Purple bobbin, this is just a suggestion so feel free to say no, but i could get you a couple of foundation samples i'm sure and post to you to save you the trip? You offered to send me something in another thread which is really kind of you so maybe i could help you in return?
    I would really, really appreciate this, if you could do it. I will PM you now :)

Thank you so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭slowmoe

If you use a yellow toned foundation then you're probably pink toned. The yellow is supposed to counteract the pink in your skin and vice versa. Off to the pms so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

I know you are listing Bobbi Brown and Mac, but could I recommend Loreal Visible Lift (Serum Inside) foundation? I used to use mac make up and honestly I love the loreal foundation, I have combination skin and it applies so well, it gives great coverage without being too heavy, and lasts all day (unless you paw around your mouth and chin all day like me!) It lasts a long time too! It might not be what you are looking for, but I highly recommend it.

Link is here:
    http://www.loreal-paris.co.uk/cosmetics/face/visible-lift-serum-inside.aspx

coco_lola wrote: »
    I know you are listing Bobbi Brown and Mac, but could I recommend Loreal Visible Lift (Serum Inside) foundation? I used to use mac make up and honestly I love the loreal foundation, I have combination skin and it applies so well, it gives great coverage without being too heavy, and lasts all day (unless you paw around your mouth and chin all day like me!) It lasts a long time too! It might not be what you are looking for, but I highly recommend it.

Link is here:
    http://www.loreal-paris.co.uk/cosmetics/face/visible-lift-serum-inside.aspx
    Thanks so much for this. I'll check it out in Boots.

Just to clarify - I will use a cheaper foundation from Boots if I can find one that 1) pale enough for me and 2) suits my skin type. The only reason I listed high-end products is because so far they have been the ones I have had the most success with. I am not against trying cheaper brands if they work well for me.

That's fair enough. That would be my attitude as well. I'd say the only reason you've not had the same success is cos you have to choose the colour without the help of an assistant in a chemist.
    What I usually do (fairly standard practice I guess) is just find the 3 best matches to my skin tone and formulation that I want. Swipe a bit of each on my jaw and blend a little. Then walk around town a bit and look at the 3 swatches in different lights. Tbh I do this even if buying high end stuff cos I find that what the shop assistant thinks is natural isn't always for me! Let us know what you go for :)

• Advertisement

That's fair enough. That would be my attitude as well. I'd say the only reason you've not had the same success is cos you have to choose the colour without the help of an assistant in a chemist.
    What I usually do (fairly standard practice I guess) is just find the 3 best matches to my skin tone and formulation that I want. Swipe a bit of each on my jaw and blend a little. Then walk around town a bit and look at the 3 swatches in different lights. Tbh I do this even if buying high end stuff cos I find that what the shop assistant thinks is natural isn't always for me! Let us know what you go for :)
    This is excellent advice, I never thought of looking at the foundation in different lights, I'll definitely give it a go tomorrow. Thank you so much :)

I'm nearly afraid to ask the assistants in Boots for help with choosing a colour as most of them wear shades that are too dark for them and I don't want to end up tangoed. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

I find most foundations too dark for my skin so my recommendations would be

Bourjois Healthy Mix

Armani Lasting Silk in the Lightest Shade

Or my current fave Skin79 BB cream, not a foundation but it's excellent!:)

Best of luck in your search!

I just saw this last night and thought about you. Good advice here - she basically says if you already have a foundation that's been colour matched to you correctly, bring a small sample in to the chemist with you and compare the cheaper ones to it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77JeT5S1Abk

I was in Boots and looked at the following foundations and the nearest one to my skin tone was one of the Revlon (think it was photo ready) that was in the colour "shell" however it was still a bit too dark for me :( Then I had a look at Max Factor Xperience and didn't like it at all, was very cakey looking.

http://www.boots.com/en/Bourjois-Healthy-Mix-Foundation-30ml_1039597/

http://www.boots.com/en/Bourjois-Healthy-Mix-Serum_1238033/

^^ both of those were in the colours "51, 52, 53", which were too dark for me.

Boots only had those three colours unfortunately.

http://www.boots.com/en/Revlon-ColorStay-8482-Makeup-for-Normal-Dry-Skin_39474/

http://www.boots.com/en/Revlon-PhotoReady-8482-Makeup-30ml_1042568/

http://www.boots.com/en/Max-Factor-Xperience-foundation-30ml_1129220/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

If the Bourjois Healthy Mix is too dark for you they do another one that I like which is the 10 Hour Sleep Effect Foundation - http://www.boots.com/en/Bourjois-10-Hour-Sleep-Effect-Foundation_39304/

I have both that and the Healthy Mix in the lightest shades (I think that the shade for that one is 71, it's faded from my bottle so I can't really tell). That one suits me perfectly, while the Healthy Mix is just a bit too dark.

leaveiton wrote: »
    If the Bourjois Healthy Mix is too dark for you they do another one that I like which is the 10 Hour Sleep Effect Foundation - http://www.boots.com/en/Bourjois-10-Hour-Sleep-Effect-Foundation_39304/

I have both that and the Healthy Mix in the lightest shades (I think that the shade for that one is 71, it's faded from my bottle so I can't really tell). That one suits me perfectly, while the Healthy Mix is just a bit too dark.
    Thanks for this, I saw it there, but didn't check out the testers. Will check them out when I'm there next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

Totally agree, I did this at the Lancome counter! I put three blobs of Teint Miracle on the back of my hand and went to the nearby ladies and applied the different shades to my jawline in peace... I then went back and asked to have the shade I had chosen applied to my face and got what I wanted.

I cannot afford to buy items any more that dont suit me and I hate being 'helped' when at this stage I know what works for me and what does not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Have you ever tried Bare Minerals? I started using it a few years ago and love it. I wouldn't have believed a powder would work so well and give such good coverage. The starter sets are really good value on feelunique.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Apologies.

I buy Gosh in Boots & Superdrug. I find their palest shade very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

E.T. wrote: »
    Have you ever tried Bare Minerals? I started using it a few years ago and love it. I wouldn't have believed a powder would work so well and give such good coverage. The starter sets are really good value on feelunique.

I used Bare Minerals for over a year. I found it somewhat drying. Also it seems to cling to any fine blonde down on the side of my face and really make it noticable. Not a good look!:o I have switched back to liquid foundation and a little setting powder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

slowmoe wrote: »
    If you use a yellow toned foundation then you're probably pink toned. The yellow is supposed to counteract the pink in your skin and vice versa. Off to the pms so!

Really? I never heard that before :confused:
    I have yellow toned skin and I have to wear yellow toned make up or else my face doesn't match my neck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

foundation woes... they made a fab Shiseido one that I got as a hand-me-down from my mother who bought the wrong shade. Don't make it anymore.

Then I had an Elizabeth Arden mousse foundation, don't make that anymore either.

I am desitined to wear makeup too dark for me, have a white neck and look like a sap walking around :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

PB, I'm a huge fan of Bobby Brown - and use their lightest shades - usually porcelain in the long lasting.

I wanted something with a bit more coverage - and went for Dior Forever in the lightest 010 - very happy with it. You have to blend it a bit more quickly, as it's a bit thicker and dries faster, but it lasts all day.

I was also at a photography event recently and the make up people used Urban Decay mineral foundation - and I loved it. Shade was Illusion. Find I'm sensitive to bare mineral etc, but no tingling at all with this.

Tayla wrote: »
    Really? I never heard that before :confused:
    I have yellow toned skin and I have to wear yellow toned make up or else my face doesn't match my neck.

I'm the same tayla. I find if I wear a pink toned foundation it looks a little ashy on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

My favourite is Max Factor Colour Adapt- I'm quite pale and I use the Natural shade, but as far as I know there is a shade lighter than that. I have a friend who is a make-up artist and she has commented before on how well it looks on me. I would have fairly dry skin.

It's a pain in the arse trying to find one that works and to be honest even though I swear by that MF one, it really mightn't suit everyone as it's such an individual thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement