Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor.. What to trust?

Options
  • 09-12-2011 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

It says I need at least 1GB of RAM for 32-bit Windows 7 for optimal performance.

BIOS shows the new 3gb of ram I just installed. And so does the crucial Scanner.

But my PC doesn't.

Which do I trust?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

It depends on what windows 7 actually says. I know that the 32-bit version will tell you that you have 4GB when there's less because people were complaining when they installed 4GB that it wasn't showing up (even though the full 4GB can not be used). If it's actually 3GB that's in there, then 3GB is what should show up. You should run memory tests if there's less (memtest.org).

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭i124Q

Monotype wrote: »
    It depends on what windows 7 actually says. I know that the 32-bit version will tell you that you have 4GB when there's less because people were complaining when they installed 4GB that it wasn't showing up (even though the full 4GB can not be used). If it's actually 3GB that's in there, then 3GB is what should show up. You should run memory tests if there's less (memtest.org).

Its 4 x 1gb. Will I take one out Seen as its only going to use 3 anyway?

Then it might show up?

Edit: Took out 1gb. Still not recognising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You should have the RAM in pairs for dual channel, assuming your motherboard supports it.

Does your motherboard actually support 4GB of RAM? What does it say in windows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

What type of RAM is it and are the four DIMMs identical?

Good news is that the BIOS recognises them. Next step is to to have only one pair of DIMMs in there and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

If your right-click on computer, under "Installed memory (RAM)", what have you got?

It should be "4.0GB (x.xx usable)"

• Advertisement
Advertisement