Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Herd Number

• 09-12-2011 4:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hi
    New to this forum, but maybe someone could offer some advice.
    My uncle farmed for years but over the last few year or so had the land let. He now isn't able to farm at all and is in poor health and in a nursing home. I have lived there all my life as he hasn't any family of his own, but have a job so I also haven't farmed for years.

Question is, I want to keep some of the land in 2012 and just let half of it (have to to help pay NH fees) for the next year or so until I can build up some stock.
    How would I go about adding my name to his heard number. I wanted to have some thing sorted before spring as I wanted to buy some cattle at that stage. I suppose I should go to the local Dept office but thought someone on here may have been in a similar situation and could offer some practical advice.

Thanks in advance

J

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭6480

wel J
    there are a few things u will have to find out before u go mad into farming half the farm , is it in a 5 year lease to another person , are the maps leased with it and what is the story with the entitlements of the farm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭kingstown

Hi 6480

No not leased, entitlements transfered on a yearly basis so will be available again in 2012.
    j

ok so, how many acres , is it good or bad land and what type of housing on it i just want to get a picture of it

50 Acres. Good Land. Limited housing yards with crush etc

so whats ur plan of attack

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

You just get your name on his. A duel type herdnumber is quite common amongst brothers and family. You are now the active farmer and not your uncle. Don't tell the dept your plans. The less they know the better.

thanks mof

suppose thats my first job and will take it from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭futurefarmer

If two people are on the one herd number can one claim capital expenditure against his paye job or can he only claim half if you know what i mean ?

good question! i don't know but would love to know??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭futurefarmer

Anyone able to answer this Question ? it would be much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭niallf

Sorry for highjacking this thread but I am going to apply for a herd number.

The farm is in 2 separate blocks about 2 miles apart. Would I need a crush in both parts to be able to get a herd number?

Thanks
    Niallf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭farmerjack

niallf wrote: »
    Sorry for highjacking this thread but I am going to apply for a herd number.

The farm is in 2 separate blocks about 2 miles apart. Would I need a crush in both parts to be able to get a herd number?

Thanks
    Niallf

In order to get your own number you must have your own separate facilities. I was in the same boat about 5 years ago and had to build my own new crush as the department wouldn't let me share facilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭niallf

farmerjack wrote: »
    In order to get your own number you must have your own separate facilities. I was in the same boat about 5 years ago and had to build my own new crush as the department wouldn't let me share facilities.

Thats what I thought :(

thanks Jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lhjros

go to your dvo and get set up as the herd keeper for your uncles farm with him as the herd owner using same number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Toplink

If two people are on the one herd number can one claim capital expenditure against his paye job or can he only claim half if you know what i mean ?

Anyone know this?

Advertisement