Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automated Timber Gates - Gooseneck

• 09-12-2011 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi,

I am interested in hanging softwood timber gates on stone piers and having them automated. Each gate weighs approx 28kg when wet. I want to go for gooseneck as they are in keeping with the style of the house.

Will I have an issues automating these? It is quite windy where I live.

I have electrical cable and intercom to the gates and a duct between both peirs. The entrance isn't finished yet (i.e., no tar, concrete etc.).

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭FMartinp

What do you mean by gooseneck ?

It's no problem automating timber gates but in windy areas with timber gates you may get less life out of your motors than you would with iron gates as the wind will always be blowing against the timber with nowhere to go. This contrasts with the iron gates with grills as the wind will be able to go through the gaps and no constant pressure will be applied to the motors.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭BMD

Gooseneck is a style of timber gate...like a traditional farm gate...it has gaps so the wind will blow through it as you describe.

Thanks for the feedback

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

I prefer the roller gate solution for the reasons given, u can bolt the 2 gates together and hide the top horz track rail behind the top rail of the gate

maybe 2 late:)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

Carlow52 wrote: »
    I prefer the roller gate solution for the reasons given, u can bolt the 2 gates together and hide the top horz track rail behind the top rail of the gate

maybe 2 late:)

I think a slider gate is the most reliable option out of all the gate styles but converting these light timber gates to a slider will eventually result in headaches as Ive found over the years they tend to twist and warp out of shape causing the rack to miss or slip on the cog of the motor which needs constant adjustment,even using a metal strip along the bottom of the gate doesnt help a whole lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭FMartinp

I can see where Paddy Mick is coming from in relation to Sliding systems and Wooden Gates. The fact that your gate has gaps in it should mean that the problems usually associated with Wooden Gates will not materialise. I'd recommend you check out the Genius Range of Gate Kits which are manufactured by FAAC who are the leaders in Gate Automation. The website is www.geniusg.com and you will need to convert it to English. Have a look and see what you think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

I would only ever use DITEC or CAME I dont think anything else on the market comes close in quality.They might be a bit more expensive but its a case of you get what you pay for when it comes to automation gear.Plus being properly installed and maintained goes along way too..

Advertisement