Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Acne/ Spots ..

Options
  • 09-12-2011 5:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Our newborn son (19 days) has these spots on his cheeks .

The doctors said they are normal and will pass - but they have been on him about 2 weeks now, he is breast fed but also needs supplements (Powdered milk NIDINA 1 Premium - Nestle)

One Doc told us it's the mothers milk (hormonal , another doc said it is the NEstle milk - I think it's this)

They gave us a moisturizing cream that doesn't do much, I wonder would it be safe to put
    a dab of Savlon cream on him ? or would this be too aggressive for his skin ?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

My friend's baby has had these since just a few days after birth and is 8 weeks old now, they're normal, I'd just leave them be, wouldn't go putting Salvon cream on or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

They are normal, they can go and come back and go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

My son still gets them sometimes and I was told they were the hormones coming through the breast milk. I wouldn't put moisturiser on newborn skin. If you want to use something then rub some breast milk on them. Brestmilk is like an elixir for all baby related things.

My daughter had awful acne from around 2.5 weeks to 6+ weeks - I mean hundreds of angry red pimples on her face and up into her hair and on the back of her neck. They were particularly bad for the first 2-3 weeks and then they started to clear up. They looked really terrible but the doctor said it was fine. He suggested emulsifying ointment. We bought some but it's very hard so we never used it. They went away on their own. I certainly wouldn't suggest Savlon on a baby's skin - they're still so sensitive at that age, I think it would sting. Besides - as I understand it, it wouldn't do any good anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Perfectly normal, my wee man had them for for the first few months. To be honest, they looked worse to me than anyone else and didn't show up in photos. I never put anything on them, and he has had perfect skin since.

Formula-fed babies get them too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Totally normal, my Son had them for a couple of weeks after he was born.. Best thing to do is nothing at all.. just ignore them, don't put anything on them, just clean their skin with warm water and cotton wool..

They will run their course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

My daughter is 1 and still has some on each of her cheeks. They have come and gone with her, usually get a little worse when she is teething. PHN and Doctor have both said it is something she will grow out of :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

Thanks so much all !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

It sounds like baby acne and its completely normal... my son had it all over his face and on his back for about 3 weeks... i found it got worse when he was too warm and just after feeding.. he's breastfed too.. it's all cleared now .. he's 9 weeks ;) hormones are the cause.. so i keep telling my nearly teenager :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

Hi
    We were at the doc today for a regular checkup - and talk about no f*cking bedside manner - they did confirm this was Baby Acne and would clear in about
    (max) 3 months - but then she added that this could mean he would have bad Acne as a teenager ??? why tell us that ??

My wife had bad Acne when she was a teenager so this really just adds to her
    worries :( and mine now too ...

we have enough to worry over without thinking 13 years down the line ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Ours had the acne, it's going now, lasted about a week. Breast and formula fed.
    Don't worry about acne in 13 years time that might not happen!

Anyway, you'll have enough to worry about when they're shouting "I HATE YOU" as they slam the door during a strop when they're that age :D

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭pancuronium

Perfectly normal some kids get it worse than others does no harm what so ever.........

Google Milk Rash!

Advertisement