Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard drive prices!!

Options
  • 09-12-2011 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Best strategy is to wait until they come back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Floods in Thailand caused shortages, price elasticity of demand and all that.

Give it some time and they'll fall back down again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

What Mena said. Memory and storage are manufacturered over there, so if there are natural disasters in that part of the world, prices rise for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

If its any help, Easons are still selling 2TB external drives for €89. Strip the drive out and use it in your machine. Its hard to know what kind of standard or quality these are but its about the cheapest option I've seen lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

good morning feeney ;)

it is quite funny, you cna get external HDD same size cheaper then internal these days...

that was prety stupid move, by puting all eggs in to one basket aka thailand...

2TB for 125eu is really damn cheap though...

• Advertisement

machalla wrote: »
    If its any help, Easons are still selling 2TB external drives for €89. Strip the drive out and use it in your machine. Its hard to know what kind of standard or quality these are but its about the cheapest option I've seen lately.

Is that online or brick and mortar shops?! 89 quid for 2TB sounds great. i would not mind using it as external drive for all movies etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

None in Galway :confused: (Shop street anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I wonder if this will bring the prices of SSD's down.

No, they've gone up too because there's more demand for them now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭infowars.com

yeah every shop says it s due to floods in thyland, id say its the government messing about with haarp :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

yeah every shop says it s due to floods in thyland, id say its the government messing about with haarp :mad:

It's not a conspiracy - it's genuinely due to the floods:
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9222522/Impact_of_hard_drive_shortage_to_linger_through_2013

Thoie wrote: »

i bet retailers are happy as pigs in money shiit...

i presume my old dell xpx with 640gb just bumped up in price :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I actually just saw this today:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0042SGDVG/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_g147_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1JKBTQVNA3K0MQ98YTBB&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

Makes them cheaper than when I bought them October last year. Still expensive compared to the €65 they were before the shortage though.

Serephucus wrote: »
    I actually just saw this today:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0042SGDVG/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_g147_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1JKBTQVNA3K0MQ98YTBB&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

Makes them cheaper than when I bought them October last year. Still expensive compared to the €65 they were before the shortage though.

goign back to 5400rpm.... damn man... its like slicing your gentleman sausage off :D.

i think ill wait a wee bit myself. 500gb+60gb ssd will do for now. later on ill get some external hdd for all the rubbish.

goign back to 5400rpm.... damn man... its like slicing your gentleman sausage off :D.

i think ill wait a wee bit myself. 500gb+60gb ssd will do for now. later on ill get some external hdd for all the rubbish.

I don't know about you, but I don't have 2TB worth of applications that I simply must have loaded three seconds quicker.

I intentionally buy 5400RPM (storage) drives; they're quieter!

picked up a 40 g for a tenner all i need now is a power supply

Is that online or brick and mortar shops?! 89 quid for 2TB sounds great. i would not mind using it as external drive for all movies etc...

Bricks and mortar. I picked one up in Easons O'Connell Street yesterday at lunch for €89.

Bricks and mortar. I picked one up in Easons O'Connell Street yesterday at lunch for €89.

If / when you crack it open, post the model number, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

i bet retailers are happy as pigs in money shiit...

i presume my old dell xpx with 640gb just bumped up in price :D

Well, only if they had a lot already in stock. Many manufacturers use "Just In Time" processes so that they don't have bundles of components lying around the place all the time, clogging up their stores, so the manufacturers are paying higher prices for the components, and passing the costs on to the shops.

While we end up paying extra for hard drives, or have to return to less popular drives, we should remember that over 3 million people in Thailand have been badly affected, and some places are still under water.

Serephucus wrote: »
    If / when you crack it open, post the model number, eh?

Just cracked the case after testing out the drive. Its this model, Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 akazzz

don't worry, hdd prices are starting to drop but their prices are still expensive.

Might as well get a ssd.

I had a look the other day in Easons O'Connell street and the €89 2TB are gone as were the €110. Only €125 USB3 drive caddys left and who knows if they are still there. Maybe better stock in different Easons.

Theres a thread on bargain alerts with more details on pricing for drives at the moment.

Btw how are the USB 3 external hdds? Do they benefit alot from it or is it just a name to make your e-penis bigger?

USB 3 would make a big difference. Or you could just get an eSATA drive/enclosure.
    USB 2 is too slow for the current speeds of hard drives.

Monotype wrote: »
    USB 3 would make a big difference. Or you could just get an eSATA drive/enclosure.
    USB 2 is too slow for the current speeds of hard drives.

450mb/s to 4.2gb/s. holy ****...

i think i will be looking in to lovely new usb external hdd...

Just buy a new enclosure if your drive is fine unless it's very old.
    Also, don't expect to get full USB 3 speeds as the drives aren't fast enough!

Monotype wrote: »
    Just buy a new enclosure if your drive is fine unless it's very old.
    Also, don't expect to get full USB 3 speeds as the drives aren't fast enough!

well atleast hdd wont be bottlenecked by usb 2.0. now external HDD will be same as internal.

i will be looking in to buying an external HDD later on. it will be handy between 2 PCs. Nice to know that it wont be much of difference between internal and external.

Yeah, they're exactly the same. Sometimes external ones can have multiple drives and very often use lower speed green drives. You can buy the external enclosures to convert an internal one or use a hard drive dock to quickly use multiple internal ones.

• Advertisement

brand new in the box 400 gig ide hard drive any one interested hit me with an offer

Advertisement