Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oldish Aerial Views of Limerick here!

• 09-12-2011 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭

Found a site (museum.limerick.ie) http://museum.limerick.ie/index.php/Search/Index/search/

These Shots were taken in 1986

that has some old pictures of Limerick from the air, really interesting, just goes to show how changed the city is..as a person born in the 1980s this is how i always viewed limerick as..

1176_ca_object_representations_media_32117_mediumlarge.jpg

30131_ca_object_representations_media_32118_mediumlarge.jpg

52987_ca_object_representations_media_32147_mediumlarge.jpg

52987_ca_object_representations_media_32147_mediumlarge.jpg

78338_ca_object_representations_media_32146_mediumlarge.jpg

83789_ca_object_representations_media_32154_mediumlarge.jpg

There are Loads more just have a look

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Thats the Limerick city I knew growing up anyway.

Don't miss that building that was knocked down for the Riverpoint though.

With regards to the last picture, when was that car park turned into the park that is there today? I only ever remember it as being a park with the tourist office. I'm assuming it was to do with the Authurs Quay development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

1huge1 wrote: »

With regards to the last picture, when was that car park turned into the park that is there today? I only ever remember it as being a park with the tourist office. I'm assuming it was to do with the Authurs Quay development.

LCC tweeted about this last week but didn't put up a link, cheers some great pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

I can just about remember it being a car park for Dunnes, i was born in '82 so very late 80's id say.Id say theres still trollys in the river that came from that car park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Most of that car park was reclaimed. When i was young I can remember they filled in the river with rubble to form the car park.
    When it opened first you only had to pay to enter (same price regardless of how long you stayed) and there was an exit roughly across the road from Harry's cafe in Dunnes stores. The exit had little plates that were at an angle but flattened as you drove out over them....you couldn't drive in here because the plates were angled towards you and would puncture your tyres if you tried to drive over them.
    Anyway, after a couple of years some of the plates stayed in the flattened position so you could drive in at a certain angle and park for free:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

That car park that you're talking about is the roof of Speights shopping centre that was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 millold

Worked on the rebuild of the Savoy in 89-90.Their was quite a bit going on around then,new bridge,king johns castle repointing,Arthurs quay,Supermacs corner,Aubars rebuild(was jack bourkes hotel)Corner william st/todds bow....Defo more work around then,than now.God i hate unemployment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

That was a car park in the early 80's anyway, there was a petrol station across the road up near the corner that is now the entrance to the supplies yard for Tesco. I think city hall ran the car park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

LB6 wrote: »
    That car park that you're talking about is the roof of Speights shopping centre that was.

Is that what Speights was!!?

I finally know :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Never saw the Tobacco factory but here it is
    99263_ca_object_representations_media_32336_mediumlarge.jpg

Amazing how much this area has changed:
    27470_ca_object_representations_media_32309_mediumlarge.jpg

That picture of dominic street,where the dole office is now,used to house a bacon factory,which also covered the tait centre,it had a huge brick chimney in the middle.Photo must have been taken around 1982,as the tait centre was built in stages,starting around that time,by none other than whelan builders(pat~)

• Advertisement

Oh ya,and tom hayes of killaloe built the dole office,another builder now defunct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,277 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The bacon factory was called Materson's afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Mc Love wrote: »

Top right hand corner is where all those buildings were knocked down to make way for what is now Liddy Street, if I'm not mistaken?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

LB6 wrote: »

Eh, No. I was referring to the car park at Arthur's Quay. The car park on the roof of Spaight's ( not Speight's) was hardly reclaimed from the Shannon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Top right hand corner is where all those buildings were knocked down to make way for what is now Liddy Street, if I'm not mistaken?

Never spotted that there was no street beside Dunnes!

Anyway I remember that Arthurs Quay car park I think beat on the street was on there as well.

The other big car park in the city IIRC was opposite the grannary (charlotte Quoy?) there is a multistorey car park on part of the site now but I think the orignal car park on ground level was huge with bits of the city wall being along there as well.

Then spaights came along and built a multistorey carpark to put Limerick on the map!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Only just copped that - good spot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

theres so many of these photos up, delighted i took time out to look at them now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Arthur's Quay Car Park was there before the park, and was regularly mentioned on Big L Radio when high tides were due, advising people to move their cars out of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

I remember seeing the cars submerged in water when the tide came in, It was a very weird thing to see as a child and wondering why you would put a car park somewhere like that. At that time Dunnes seemed to be the newest building in the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Before my time, but it's really cool to see these pics, and compare them to what I see every day now. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

Its mad comparing town then 1986 to now..

is goes from quite rundown, low-rise and some fields to quite dense mid-rise..not a field in site!

21372_ca_object_representations_media_32239_mediumlarge.jpg

83481_ca_object_representations_media_32237_mediumlarge.jpg

61123_ca_object_representations_media_32288_mediumlarge.jpg

Heres some from 2007

dr_f2_3571aK.jpg

dr_f2_3547aKr.jpg

dr_f2_3551aKl.jpg

dr_f2_3542aK.jpg

4482409883_18546924b0_b.jpg

4482995160_b149bb620e_b.jpg

4482435349_1b8330fbb8_z.jpg

3202216695_94a47fb1f5_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

Mc Love wrote: »

Amazing how much this area has changed:
    27470_ca_object_representations_media_32309_mediumlarge.jpg

Mc Love i love the second pic i noticed the dole office is no longer there ,,, i mean not yet there (wishful thinking) what year is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

This thread is back from the dead!

hope that's ok wasn't sure if I would be in trouble, some threads never should die :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

tonyheaney wrote: »
    hope that's ok wasn't sure if I would be in trouble, some threads never should die :)

No its grand, work away. As you said its a great thread.

anyone know who owns the photo of perys square? above?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

tonyheaney wrote: »
    anyone know who owns the photo of perys square? above?

The images seem to be hosted on http://museum.limerick.ie/ so I would contact them about ownership.

Clareman wrote: »
    The images seem to be hosted on http://museum.limerick.ie/ so I would contact them about ownership.

thanks Clareman :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

You know you're old when the thread title is "Oldish" , view the pictures and you remember being there. :(

Advertisement