Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen knives sharpened.

Options
  • 09-12-2011 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

People may have already seen posts by me concerning sharpening kitchen and hunting knives. I've written a few tutorial type things to try and help people get the most from their kit.

Recently I was sent a few kitchen knives to sharpen for a member of Boards.ie :D

A nice set of knives, well looked after and not chipped or scratched up on a grinder :mad:

They were however pretty blunt, like edge of a ruler blunt! It took a little bit of time on the very coarse diamond (150) which I hardly ever have to break out. I got the bevels remade though and after that the sharpening went well.

I made a little before and after video to show a little of what I try to achieve in a kitchen knife. Any questions I am happy to try and help out, thanks for watching.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭morcheen k

nothing worse than a blunt knife.quickest way to cut yourself.years ago the gypsies use to knock on doors 'claiming' they would sharpen your kitchen knifes and hedge clippers etc :rolleyes: looked like stevie wonder was let loose on them with a grinder :eek: i use the standard hand held sharpener,getting blunt itself now,or use the oilstone i do my chisels on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

You will be much happier using the oilstones you do the chisels on!

Have you tried the Scary Sharp method for chisels? Although there is some debate that the convexing from hand sharpening on stones helps older chisels cut better than new flat chisels?

Anyways, next video from this set, showing Edge Pro in action, some stropping, some tips on maintaining your steel and some paper gets cut! Oh yes indeed, it's all going on!

(I'm sad and obsessive, luckily, that's what makes me happy! :D )

We're runnning this, let's go!

Thanks for watching! :cool:

Advertisement