Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to test speed between pc and wireless router, and router and internet?

• 09-12-2011 5:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

I want to see how much of a bottle neck my wireless router is.

Is there a way that i can:
    1. check the speed between my pc and the wireless router.
    2. check speed between the router and the internet.

Im guessing the speed from the router to the internet will be pretty close to my 20mbps that i pay for, but i will get a lot less over wireless, i just need to confirm it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭yenoah

I have a NAS connected to my router so I can test my WiFi speed by looking at the speed of a file copy. If your router has a USB socket, plug in and mount a drive or key and try a file copy. As the file is copying, click the details or advanced dropdown on the filecopy dialog and watch the speed.

Secondly, lets see what speed your WiFi is connecting at.
    Click on the WiFi icon in the systray down near the clock
    Click "Open Network and Sharing Centre"
    About 1/3 way down the dialog, you should see your Wifi Home Network. To the right under "access type - Internet", Click "Wireless Network Connection".
    The Speed in Mbps is given here. What is it?

I can tell you that I have my WiFi configured to connect at 300Mbps. With that I average 7MB - 9MB file copy speeds, WiFi is not that fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    I want to see how much of a bottle neck my wireless router is.

Is there a way that i can:
    1. check the speed between my pc and the wireless router.
    2. check speed between the router and the internet.

Im guessing the speed from the router to the internet will be pretty close to my 20mbps that i pay for, but i will get a lot less over wireless, i just need to confirm it.

Thanks.

1. Connect your PC to the router using a standard ethernet cable. Measure speed using speedtest.net.
    2. Connect PC to the router using Wi-Fi. Measure speed using speedtest.net.
    3. Compare.

Simplez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭yenoah

blaz wrote: »
    1. Connect your PC to the router using a standard ethernet cable. Measure speed using speedtest.net.
    2. Connect PC to the router using Wi-Fi. Measure speed using speedtest.net.
    3. Compare.

Simplez.

Spreedtest fluctuates terrible even on the same server. You'd want to run several tests over many days . different times to get an average. Also depends on other bottlenecks, Lan port speeds etc. But yeah it's another way.

Advertisement