Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

milk ireland processing decisions looming

• 09-12-2011 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Not sure many dairy farmers realise that some of the biggest decisions in our lifetimes are being made or not over next couple of months.Glanbia is short capacity at the moment never mind post 2015..Dairygold too.Can they work together and process 70% of the country,s milk in 2020 or will they develope piecemeal.one right big drier ie 30t/hr will be way cheaper than a heap of small ones in the long run. Who will pay for this steel ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

we will .theres an old saying in the co-op movement; the cow always pays!
    in other words the cost will come out of the milk price. one big dryer that will take product from all the co-ops is whats needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

The whole processing capacity limit most certainly is a massive elephant in the corner, and will massively effect anyone on spring milk over the next few years. New Zealand took the step many years ago to only having one milk processing company, and for years have been able to produce milk much cheaper, than countries like Ireland who had the buffer of quotes to keep the milk price high!

Post quotes in 2015 Ireland will have no choice but to go down a similar road unless we want to get left behind!, the soon that this happens the better. What the timeframe for building a new processing plant is does anyone know? Short term, how badly the peak month fines by any of the processors effect spring milk producers will make a massive difference on how much they can expand by, I am involved in winter milk at the minute, which is not worth the hardship at all now, but in the future this could change big time, its a decision that I would like an answer soon rather then later!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 nige2000

just a thought wouldn't only one processor in the country give us an even worse monopoly than what exists at the minute

i can understand that in theory it could lead to cheaper processor costs but do you really think that the management of such a company would care in the slightest of how hard the cowman works to keep him in his high paid cushy job

i think it would be naive to think otherwise

nige2000 wrote: »
    just a thought wouldn't only one processor in the country give us an even worse monopoly than what exists at the minute

i can understand that in theory it could lead to cheaper processor costs but do you really think that the management of such a company would care in the slightest of how hard the cowman works to keep him in his high paid cushy job

i think it would be naive to think otherwise
    if its done thru the co-op movement,we would be that management

PMU wrote: »
    if its done thru the co-op movement,we would be that management

unfortunately the co-op movement at this stage or scale is far removed from what they were first set up to stand for there is always an appointed management and staff which reports to a board. the board only sees the management of the co-op through the managements eyes and you will find that most board members will be yes men to management for an easy time and perks and the fact they only know what management tell them.

the fact remains although milk ireland is a great resource saving idea but in practice it will be up to management and staff to run it as a business mostly in the betterment of themselves

unfortunately this is a harsh reality

• Advertisement

yes,and its a reality we are trying to change.post 2015 will see big changes as we expand

PMU wrote: »
    yes,and its a reality we are trying to change.post 2015 will see big changes as we expand

real crystal ball territory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

nige2000 wrote: »
    unfortunately the co-op movement at this stage or scale is far removed from what they were first set up to stand for there is always an appointed management and staff which reports to a board. the board only sees the management of the co-op through the managements eyes and you will find that most board members will be yes men to management for an easy time and perks and the fact they only know what management tell them.

the fact remains although milk ireland is a great resource saving idea but in practice it will be up to management and staff to run it as a business mostly in the betterment of themselves

unfortunately this is a harsh reality

I work with a good few co-ops in my job, and to be honest any of the management/accountants I know live in fear of the committee, not the other way round.

Ultimately management are only employees, the board/comitee are the owners of the business.

JohnBoy wrote: »
    I work with a good few co-ops in my job, and to be honest any of the management/accountants I know live in fear of the committee, not the other way round.

Ultimately management are only employees, the board/comitee are the owners of the business.

an ifa man?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

ehhh, no, wouldnt be their biggest fan.

The company I work for supplies a couple of sectors, one of those is agri business.

Over the years I've gotten to know a few people working in the offices in co-ops. That's all.

• Advertisement

wild guesses not working for me this time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

lets be more specific.where should it be built,what should it make,who should build it and where and what plants should be shut down

Advertisement