Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IM Austria 2012 Bike Shipping

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭gilleek2

Also looking at ryanair site now, it says 30kg limit for bike @ €100 return, price and weight gone up since last April as far as I can see? Anyone find out if 30kg is limit or 20kg with each kg over being €20?

Hi Duffy et al,

Last year with Ryanair it was €40 dub-stansted and £40 stn-klag. €40 klag-stn and £40 stn-dub so adds up quickly.

I've been in contact with DHL about shipping. Initially the price was very attractive but that was based on averaged measurements for a Bikeboxalan bike box. Thats what i used last year and the total weight was c. 23/24kg.

Upon resubmitting the correct maximum measurements the price has soared to over €200.
    I've got back to them for a quote for another type of box to see how much it would be.

They can pick up boxes from anywhere in the country and deliver to your hotel. Pick up from hotel and deliver back to ireland. Takes them 3 to 4 days ground transit in a truck and the more bikes shipped together the better the rate that can be got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

Cheers gilleek, i was on to gus about that too, and I know a few others that would be keen to use this too instead of bringing on the plane, how many bikes were you getting the quote for?

I'm flying are lingus dub-vie so only 2 flights but would be handy to DHL it if the price was right!

You going tour taitlean this year again?
    gilleek2 wrote: »
    Hi Duffy et al,

Last year with Ryanair it was €40 dub-stansted and £40 stn-klag. €40 klag-stn and £40 stn-dub so adds up quickly.

I've been in contact with DHL about shipping. Initially the price was very attractive but that was based on averaged measurements for a Bikeboxalan bike box. Thats what i used last year and the total weight was c. 23/24kg.

Upon resubmitting the correct maximum measurements the price has soared to over €200.
    I've got back to them for a quote for another type of box to see how much it would be.

They can pick up boxes from anywhere in the country and deliver to your hotel. Pick up from hotel and deliver back to ireland. Takes them 3 to 4 days ground transit in a truck and the more bikes shipped together the better the rate that can be got.

Cheers gilleek, i was on to gus about that too, and I know a few others that would be keen to use this too instead of bringing on the plane, how many bikes were you getting the quote for?

I'm flying are lingus dub-vie so only 2 flights but would be handy to DHL it if the price was right!

You going tour taitlean this year again?
    gilleek2 wrote: »
    Hi Duffy et al,

Quote was initially based on 5 bikes but theres defo 10+ that have said they're interested. I mailed DHL with dimensions and rough weights of a bike shipped in a Polaris Bike POD. It's 4.5kg lighter than the BikeBoxAlan and slightly slimmer. I'll post up the price they come back with in the hope that we can get more people interested. TI have said we could post details on their FB page too in order to spread the word.

I'm all signed up and ready for tour tailteann this year too. Theres gonna be a great crew. Hopefully the weather holds up. Small matter of a spin to Wexford and back to get out of the way this weekend 1st though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

If there is that many going i am sure a man with a large van would work out reasonable per bike if there was a dozen or so. More reliable also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

If there is that many going i am sure a man with a large van would work out reasonable per bike if there was a dozen or so. More reliable also.

few clubs did that last year. makes sense.

tunney wrote: »

few clubs did that last year. makes sense.

Hi Tunney,
    Do you know who did this last year? If I could organise a clubmate to do the drive it would be handy to know how others got on in previous years. Any complications or recommendations that they might have had etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Do we know more about this by now ?
    sailing wrote: »
    Following on from some posts yesterday I followed this up and was put in touch with and spoke directly to the person responsible for ancillary revenue in Aer Lingus this afternoon. I outlined the problems that people seem to have in relation to booking a bike on board, the booking system in general, the lack of understanding from customer support, the poor allowance and the lack of guarantee of a bike travelling on a flight. I outlined the importance of people needing this guarantee when booking a flight for a race. I put the case forward that tri/cycling was becoming a very popular and growing sport and they had the opportunity to put a proper service in place to accomodate people travelling abroad to race/train and if they did then people may be more willing to travel with them. I put forward a few initial proposals and they seem keen to get this problem solved and asked if I would be willing to meet them in early January to discuss how they can improve the service. I'm going to put some proposals to them and they said they would welcome input from people who would potentially use the service. I am going to propose a discount for group bookings, clubs going on training camps etc. If people have suggestions as to what they would like please send them on to me and I'll pass the info on. I'm also going to ask them to explore the idea of packages for training camps and discounts as they seem to have tie up's with hotels in various cities. Don't know if it's possible but I'll put it to them anyway. I'm hoping that following this meeting there will be some movement on this in January.

Advertisement