Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC reaches 250,000 subscriber broadband target

Options
  • 09-12-2011 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/24935-upc-reaches-250-000/

Cable communications provider UPC said today that it has passed the 250,000 broadband subscriber milestone.

Third quarter industry statistics show that UPC grew by 16,903 customers while the rest of the market declined by 2,675 customers.

The cable giant has so far invested €400m in its Irish network.

During the year UPC revealed 25Mbps as its entry tier for broadband. According to ComReg results for Q3 today some 17.1pc of Irish broadband subscribers tap into speeds higher than 10Mbps.

“Our strategy which has re-defined the entry speed in Ireland has established UPC as the clear choice in the marketplace,” Orla Flynn, head of broadband & voice at UPC Ireland said.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

According to ComReg results for Q3 today some 17.1pc of Irish broadband subscribers tap into speeds higher than 10Mbps.
    No no no. Comreg are saying 17.1pc of of Irish broadband subscribers are on subscriptions of packages higher than 10Mbps. Or are they including 10Mbps subscriptions?

On anything other than Fibre and cable the real speed of a > 10Mbps package can be 1Mbps to 18Mbps. Even many cable areas are not at full upgrade thus don't exceed 10Mbps at peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

bealtine wrote: »
    During the year UPC revealed 25Mbps as its entry tier for broadband.

Eh no 20Mbs is the entry level nowadays...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

Lucky devils. I'd give my eye teeth for anything faster than what I've now (2.6meg).

1642709328.png

This is really slowest I see. But someone upstairs is running video Skype at SAME TIME as test

Not DSL, not cable, not Mobile, Not satellite. Had this Fixed Wireless now for 6 years, Almost 14km from the mast. With less users 12Mbps to 20Mbps is possible up to 25km. LTE or WiMax can't do that. Why do all rural people not have such a connection? Because Regulator's process and licences and Government policy make it far more profitable to deploy Mobile and Satellite. The Fixed Wireless makes more profit per user than DSL in Ireland (for Eircom or anyone else) even including capital costs.

About 60% of Ireland could be > 100Mbps
    remaining 38% better than 20Mbps
    last 2% better than 12Mbps.

No one need be on Mobile except "on the go" (clue in name)
    No one with Satellite except as a backup in case a cable is dug up.
    No one on DSL to Exchange, only ADSL2+ or VDSL to cabinet (1km max).

Note that my 6 year old connection is better than 64% of Ireland!
    Usually I'm grade "A".

With the lad knocked off video Skype
    1642737515.png
    1642740061.png
    Better than TWO THIRDS of Ireland!
    Usually I'm about the 24ms and 7.7Mbps.

Only 33% (1/3rd) According to Ookla are better than my Fixed Wireless.

[URL="[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/1642744576.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]1642744576.png

I've to say that I'm jealous because there's more chance of hell freezing over than Eircom upgrading the Bohola exchange.

• Advertisement

Interestingly that is slower than 2/3rds.

So Approx Mbps in 1/3rds
    less than 2.6
    2.6 to 7.6
    7.6 and up

So Ireland is pretty dismal and the 20Mbps "entry level" on UPC and Eircom 20Mbps DSL packages, Magnet and Digiweb fibre are irrelevant to most people.

The 17% on greater than 10Mbps packages is certainly much much less than 17% getting more than 10Mbps.

Perhaps in reality over 85%+ are on less than 10Mbps at peak times. At peak times the majority of Internet users (i.e. including Mobile and Satellite) are likely much less than 2.7Mbps.

So you have a LOT of company Galen.

Just the amount spent on one by-pass could have solved this!

That's no surprise.

go here
    http://www.netindex.com/download/2,49/Ireland/

subtract out University (heanet) Dungarvin(Casey) and Business (Esat)

Also see how good "3" mobile "up to" 21Mbps HSPA+/iHSPA 3G is ?
    19th place 1.82Mbps

UPC (only cable) is 3rd at 18.9Mbps. 1st really as Casey is only Dungarvin and HEAnet only colleges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

watty wrote: »
    Had this Fixed Wireless now for 6 years, Almost 14km from the mast. With less users 12Mbps to 20Mbps is possible up to 25km.

I'm Jealous - 12Mbps on FWA! I got in a 3Mbps Down/1Mbps Up from Munster Broadband a couple of years ago. Absolute godsend, because mobile midband was no better than dial-up around my house. (results attached)

I'm only a couple of km from the mast, but their package only goes up to a maximum 5Mbps.

Other than the slightly slower speeds than Watty gets, their service has been excellent and any time a neighbour moans about their kids blowing through the download limits on the 3G midband watching a couple of youtube clips, I tell them to sign up and save money!!!

Your FWA is better than the majority of BROADBAND in Ireland, better than 54%!
    184975.png

If there was a USO and very rural FWA subsidised by fibre to everyone less a minimum speed of 18Mbps on a 20Mbps package is possible on fixed Wireless.

• Advertisement
Advertisement