Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why my ddr3 ram are running on 667mhz?

Options
  • 09-12-2011 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

As title says lads.

I just checked now and it runs on 667mhz... Shouldn't it be like 1600?!

I can't find anything in bios about ram :( its msi z68. Amy ideas?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I dunno, I can't remember what RAM you got. Most of the time 1333MHz RAM gets recommended because there's very little difference in performance on a modern Intel system and it's a bit cheaper. With the AMD systems, I'd go for the 1600MHz RAM as it has a bigger impact and more important for overclocking.

I presume it's UEFI and I don't own a board with it to be familiar enough to offer suggestions where to find RAM settings. Read the manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

As title says lads.

There running at default atm so you have to go into the bios and manually set the speed/timings and volts as per what the sticks are rated at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

As title says lads.

You have to change the settings in bios to get it to 1600, by default ram is always set to a low number to make sure all ram works with the board. I cant tell you how to configure it in that board though as I have never powered on a sandybridge board.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Sounds like its running at 1333, 2x what you see in the program. Ddr3 = double data rate. If it's meant to be 1600 mess with bios

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I did oc genie with msi and in bios it set dram at 1600, but in windows its still 667... Weird

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Sounds like its running at 1333, 2x what you see in the program. Ddr3 = double data rate. If it's meant to be 1600 mess with bios
    are you a dude?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I did oc genie with msi and in bios it set dram at 1600, but in windows its still 667... Weird

Windows shows you the base clock rate. Since it's DDR RAM this is doubled to get the advertised clock rate. So RAM running at 1333MHz effectively will be reported as running as 667MHz in Windows because that's the base clock speed of the RAM. If it was 1600MHz it'd show as 800Mhz and so on.

Or, in other words, there's nothing wrong with your machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

nesf wrote: »
    Windows shows you the base clock rate. Since it's DDR RAM this is doubled to get the advertised clock rate. So RAM running at 1333MHz effectively will be reported as running as 667MHz in Windows because that's the base clock speed of the RAM. If it was 1600MHz it'd show as 800Mhz and so on.

Or, in other words, there's nothing wrong with your machine.

thx lads. it was ages since i was doing stuff with my pcs, so everything is so new. i did jump few generations :D

p.s. i overclocked it to 4.2ghz with OC genie and all works perfect, but i dont bother with GPU...

spent all evening trying to get voltage slider work and after few setups i looked on to internet i just gave up.... even slightest overclock is unstable and crashes my drivers... feck it, gtx 570 is strong as it is now...

Advertisement