Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maths teaching - job prospects

• 09-12-2011 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Before I sign up to do a diploma in education Im wondering what are the jobs prospects out there for maths teachers?

Would just having maths be good enough or would you need a second subject along with it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

rs512 wrote: »
    Before I sign up to do a diploma in education Im wondering what are the jobs prospects out there for maths teachers?

Would just having maths be good enough or would you need a second subject along with it?

There are very few jobs in any teaching subject. Definitely two subjects would be an advantage. To give my own story-3rd year fully qualified, first class honours degree and pgde and experience with project maths. The only interview and job offer I got this summer was for 16hrs of teaching and im one of the lucky ones. Things are pretty dreadful out there tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

Id say he same again.. Ive an honours degree with honours maths as a final year subject and the PGDE. I got work as a fetac tutor last year but that didn count towards teaching council experience (you need to get 300 hours within 3years of graduating). This year I have had interviews but in some cases, I felt the interview was a formality and there was already someone lined up for the job. They bring in people who are less experienced and less qualified so that this person will get the job, basically. Its very disheartening but I know that there are a lot of maths teaching jobs in England and Ill be looking into them in the new year.

Best of luck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

If you have a good degree in Maths, i'd advise you to send off your CV to some of the financial co's in the IFSC. I believe they're looking for fund accountants, back office staff, trainee accountants, exchange people, etc, etc. Hard work, long hours, good pay, great experience. Then again, apart from your degree, it will be up to yourself to sell "YOU". Everyone up against you will have a degree too. How good are ya? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Surely you have something besides maths? There's some demand for maths teachers (in so far as there's any demand at all) but like has already been said, there's very little chance you'll get full hours on maths alone.

You might have some chance if you have maths physics or computers. You might not be officially qualified to teach your first year university subjects but you can probably use them to fill out your hours in practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭torregolf

Pm me if you a maths teacher available to teach in the Midlands

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

Maths is one of the best ones to have these days, you won't necessarily do any better in the private sector. The only thing I'd say is that although it's said that there's a lot of security in teaching it's not the case. You have to be prepared to move around a lot. I've been teaching for six years, covering career break this year in my 7th school so next year I'll be looking again. With so many experienced teachers on the interview circuit every year it's getting tougher and tougher for graduates to break in.
    If you're prepared to live and work somewhere most people aren't for a while to build up your experience you'll break in fine. If you're tied to one place for family commitments or whatever it might be a waste of time. If I could go back I would do an MA in engineering, lots of jobs in that! And lots of them are funded by the Government so have massively reduced fees. Teaching is very rewarding as a job but at this stage having the option of having kids/ buying a house with my husband would be more rewarding. Idealism dead! :)
    Then again, something could land in your lap! You never know! Not having a second subject won't be too much of a big deal, somewhat limiting but there are a lot of teachers that teach only Maths. They usually just give you C.S.P.E/ S.P.H.E or something as well.
    Sorry for going on a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭spring21

I'm bringing on this topic again because im a qualified maths and geo teacher , I pay the TC every year and yet I cant get a teaching job. What is upseting me is to see that in every school i went for a day or two subbing maths is taught by unqualified maths teachers (they actually admit that) plus i was recently in a school where a teacher was teaching without having the dip ,I think this is insane when there are so many qualified teachers with no job out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

spring21 wrote: »
    I'm bringing on this topic again because im a qualified maths and geo teacher , I pay the TC every year and yet I cant get a teaching job. What is upseting me is to see that in every school i went for a day or two subbing maths is taught by unqualified maths teachers (they actually admit that) plus i was recently in a school where a teacher was teaching without having the dip ,I think this is insane when there are so many qualified teachers with no job out there.

Same as . It's time we discussed this with every TD we know and made the subject as public as possible , it's time parents knew who really is teaching their children . If they are not registered and unqualified then they are more than likely unvetted too.
    Any parents reading this , if you are uncertain about your children's teachers , make a list of their teachers and go to
    https://gemini.teachingcouncil.ie/services/%21wwv_app_tc_tss.show_public_welcome and check if they are registered

. If not on the list and demand to meet the principal , tell them you know that there are plenty of qualified teachers available and insist they find one . Tell other parents and demand qualified teachers for your children. No excuses, no one should set foot in a school without being qualified and registered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

spring21 wrote: »

Out of curiosity what are they qualified to teach? Because at the Project Maths inservices I run into a serious amount of business teachers " who have a bit of stats" in their degrees and were put teaching maths - some not pleased about it either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Same as . It's time we discussed this with every TD we know and made the subject as public as possible , it's time parents knew who really is teaching their children . If they are not registered and unqualified then they are more than likely unvetted too.
    Any parents reading this , if you are uncertain about your children's teachers , make a list of their teachers and go to
    https://gemini.teachingcouncil.ie/services/%21wwv_app_tc_tss.show_public_welcome and check if they are registered

. If not on the list and demand to meet the principal , tell them you know that there are plenty of qualified teachers available and insist they find one . Tell other parents and demand qualified teachers for your children. No excuses, no one should set foot in a school without being qualified and registered.

1) go to that list and unless you have the exact spelling/version of the teachers name, you won't find them e.g. maiden names etc.
    2) "Qualified" is an interesting word. Someone teaching some 1st year maths is not maths qualified but because of being overquota you can't get a new teacher, then what do you expect the principal to do. If i looked through the whole school, I am sure there are people teaching subjects they are not "qualified" to teach. Also remember anyone registered before 2006 has s blanket qualification, its only newer teachers are subject specific qualified.
    3) Whipping up a campaign against the school on something which is difficult to resolve within allocation immediately is only going to serve a negative perspective. A quiet phonecall is fine but to be honest, if anyone asks me if the teacher is qualified, I will always say yes.

Ideal world and all that, try finding an ideal school in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭therunaround

Option a: a science or business teacher with 3-10 years experience, given some junior cert maths classes, get excellent results.fit in well in school, proven to be reliable, excellent classroom manager etc

Option b: nqt with maths ( no experience)

Which would people choose?
    This is the question people thinking of doing the dip need to ask themselves.

Nqts will get their feet in the door if show themselves to be reliable and eager subs from the start. That is what I had to do, and still have to do 4 years later

The 2worst classroom managers I have ever seen had PhDs in maths.

There is a massive gap between the requirement for teachers with maths degrees and their availability and had been for yonks. This will take time to bridge.

Good pass rates in maths are a major thing for principals. So they put their best maths teachers there.

But schools will rejig teachers every year to get ever nearer to the preferred mix. There will be more and more positions but I think it will be gradual. Don't expect a 'clearout' any time soon..

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭spring21

doc_17 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity what are they qualified to teach? Because at the Project Maths inservices I run into a serious amount of business teachers " who have a bit of stats" in their degrees and were put teaching maths - some not pleased about it either!
    I wouldnt mind so much if they have a bit of maths , fair enough , what i came across was with no maths at all ( the only maths they did was for LC) . This is upseting as after the announcement made by Ruairi Quinn last summer there has been nothing done.

Advertisement