Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting At Night

Options
  • 09-12-2011 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

I know this is a stupid question ,but i recently got my first rifle.cz .22.
    I have done loads of shooting during the day but can someone please tell me what is the story with shooting at night with a lamp for rabbits.
    If i have the landowners permission is it ok to shoot a .22 rifle at night with a lamp.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭patdahat

day and night more or less the same jusy take more precaution when firing and know your backround. if there's more im missing im sure you'll be informed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

just be careful and if your not sure don't shoot!!!! there have been enough things shot by mistake or ignorance of late according to posts here and other sites horses and cattle can be expensive to replace

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Spannerman7

Give the landowner a call to say it will be you out and about that night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Also remember distances under the lamp are very decieving.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

homerhop wrote: »
    Also remember distances under the lamp are very decieving.
    Yeah I was thinking that, is it tough to see through the scope or is it judging distances is tough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

gearoidol wrote: »
    Yeah I was thinking that, is it tough to see through the scope or is it judging distances is tough

its the judging distance, you dont have a reference such as a tree etc that you would have during the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

if its rabbits your after and your using a mildot scope you should be able to judge the distance from the size of him in the scope. This will come with practice and experience. Like the lads say know your backstop. It helps to know the area well in daylight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

i would think the mildots would be used on something bigger than a rabbit like a average man size or deer and over a couple of hundred yards as oppose to 100 which the op will be shooting then after that i presume mag on scope comes into play

i might be wrong doe i wouldmt be great at this method of judgeing distance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

you will generally have your vary power scope at the same mag most of the time. For me its 8 or 9. Now i knew with my hmr that on 9 power if a rabbit was .8 mil high or bigger it was point and shoot. Mil dots can be used for any size. I dont use the method properly myself but this was just something i picked up from shooting a crap load of rabbits

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

i would think the mildots would be used on something bigger than a rabbit like a average man size or deer and over a couple of hundred yards as oppose to 100 which the op will be shooting then after that i presume mag on scope comes into play

i might be wrong doe i wouldmt be great at this method of judgeing distance

Reticles are an easy way of judging range, presuming a target of known size. It's one of the reasons first focal plane reticles are so handy, as they don't change size relative to a target.

Let's say I'm shooting at a six inch disc, with a mil-dot scope, first focal plane, and I see that the disc (Whose size I know) fills up Just under one gap between the dots, I know it's in or around 200 yards (Since a mil is 3.6" or thereabouts at 100 yards, so at 200 it's 7.2") Therefore if the disc fills one mil it's a little under 200, and if it only fills say half a mil, it's more like 400. It's quick, easy and plenty precise enough to get to "there or thereabouts" out to practical hunting ranges. I reckon if you want to take a poke at something over about 400 yards, a rangefinder is going to be much more useful with a good drop chart.

Remember, the same calculations then apply to holdover, so let's say you figure out your disc is 300 yards away, and you're shooting something like a .223 with about 7" of drop at that range. You know by the same calculation that your single mil dot will mean 10.8" drop at that range, so you hold over by two thirds of a mil. Again, quick and easy, and because it uses your eye's natural talent for creating images and noticing spatial relationships and proportions, it's surprisingly accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

i presume thats all at the same magnification on scope

id also presume a bit of range practice with a target with accurate measurements on it

but out to 100 yards when usein a 22 is it as good or is it quicker to use the likes of halfing to judge distance

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

If using a first focal plane scope, it won't matter what magnification it is. For a second focal plane model, it's whatever the designated ranging magnification is.

Advertisement