Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sydney in September

Options
  • 09-12-2011 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭

Thinking, of taking a year out of college in September and going to Sydney. I'd be going in September and would be turning 19 the following December. Would 18 be too young to head over. I'd be looking at returning around March. What are the chances of me finding 6 month work over there. I would return to my studies the following September. How difficult would a visa be to obtain?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Visa is easy to get. Just apply through the Australia GOV site. I'm going over in January and if you put a little time in and not care where you work it shouldn't be a problem.

The real thing you have to ask yourself, do you have the money in case it doesn't work out.

The visa and flight will cost you close to a 1000 and you would want another 2 - 3 spending money and another 1000 for a flight back.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 killianganly

Well Paddy, I'm in Oz at the moment did what you did came out in September and hopefully be out here again next September.

You shouldn't have a probablem getting a visa as long as you dont have a serious criminal record like murdering someone :)
    Also dont be to worried about customs in Sydney, its not as bad as what you see on Border Control. On the visa application it asks do you have the RECOMMENDED amount of $5000 i didnt have half that coming to Oz and they never even looked at me.

Depending on what you come to Oz for ie Money or Holiday my advice would be if you are going to Sydney plan ahead. IT IS A VERY EXPENSIVE CITY if you arent working you soon start to eat into your sayings very quickly. If I new what I no now I would have done things totally different.

There are loads of jobs in Sydney, the money is good, BUT!!! It is very expensive. Also, Sydney is a dangerous place in the since that its a 24/7 party town, if your coming to Oz to make money. Spend a week or 2 in Sydney, and get out to a Farm. Money isn't as good but, you'll get as many hours as you want and depending on where you are ie THE STICK's you cant spend what you earn. I spent a little over 2months in Sydney and was nearly broke by the time we left for the farm. You'll find that work dry's up very quickly towards the end of Novemebr into Dec becasue, this is there summer holidays, schools and Colleges are off, so the place sort of comes to a halt, out on the farms though its 24/7. If there's any other advice your looking for get in contact with me, I'm no expert but I can tell you where to look for jobs both in Sydney and for farms. Oh and another thing I'd advise getting a return ticket, my flights and visa and insurance (NOT NEEDED) cost me 1700 return and I can change the dates of flying home, so for what ever reason if I want to go home tomorrow It'll cost me $100 dollars where as friends of mine only got singles and if they want to go home its going to cost well over $1000 at this time of year.

Advertisement