Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single Parents; Have you ever had problems with the "other" Grandparents?

Options
  • 09-12-2011 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Have you ever experienced difficulties dealing with the "other" Grandparents? As in the set that aren't your own parents!

What difficulties were these?
    Did you manage to resolve them?
    If so, how?

I have these some of these issues myself and I was just wondering if anyone else has had bad experiences dealing with the other Grandparents!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Have you ever experienced difficulties dealing with the "other" Grandparents? As in the set that aren't your own parents!

What difficulties were these?
    Did you manage to resolve them?
    If so, how?

I have these some of these issues myself and I was just wondering if anyone else has had bad experiences dealing with the other Grandparents!

Yes and no, I'm not sure if my story helps but here goes.....

My story is that when my ex did a runner, I never heard from the parents again..... It was really hurtful because I thought I had such a great relationship with them and I still miss them a lot.

I was bascially dumped by them also, not even a phone call to see if I was ok. They put all my clothes from their house into a bin bag and sent them back along with the child following an access visit.

If their son didnt take the child on access, I'm sure they would never see their grandchild.

I would hate to think in the future that I would treat an ex DIL or SIL like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭sophia25

My husband's family have cut off all ties with our daughter. She is without a doubt the most beautiful little girl ever. She's 3 and they don't send her birthday or christmas cards. This despite the fact that this is the 2nd family their son has walked away from. Mind you, he;s back living with them. Again!

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

My mother (God rest her) had a great expression for dealing with difficult situations....'Good manners will always see you through' and I think she had it spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

My exs parents aren't together. He doesn't see the child. But his mother is a dote and her and the little one have a great relationship. She would probably have her one weekend every month or so and she rings at weekends. She's just the right amount of interested. Not too invasive but still there.

Exs dad is a different kettle of fish. He hasn't seen me or the child in years, he isn't bothered. Whenever I have met him in the street, he acts like the doting grandfather and basically passes comments on the child, the way she is dressed etc. :mad: It really annoys me. It's at the point where if I see him first I do what I can to avoid him. Like father, like son!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Kildrought wrote: »
    My mother (God rest her) had a great expression for dealing with difficult situations....'Good manners will always see you through' and I think she had it spot on.

Yeah I'd subscribe to that philosophy too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi OP here!

Eveyone else seems to have the opposite poblem to me so! Its awful to say that I'm kind of jealous!

The grandparents in my case are ALWAYS calling and texting me. They are rude in a sneaky sort of way and treat me like a stupid chid. (I'm Young!) They are also very demanding about visitation and nosey about me and my familys private business!

This puts me off arranging to meet up with them and then they are always complaining that I don't let them see their grandchild!

Thank God they live so far away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 confused08

my childs grandparents are a nightmare !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have had serious problems with childs father all along which got worse as my daughter got older , his mother would constantly lie for him and when he got voilent towards my child his parents decided to lie and defend him tooth and nail , they put her in direct harms way by letting him off with her for the day when they were supposed to be 100% responsible for her and he was not to be alone with her . I had to cut all access as my daughter was terrified and got to the stage that she didnt to know any of them , The list is endless . YOU ARE NOT ALONE

Advertisement