Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia Lumia 800

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

mad muffin wrote: »
    How much can I realistically sell my two week old unlocked phone?

I paid €280 for an unlocked unused Lumia this week. GLWS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Dub XV wrote: »

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I posted this over in the windows forum as well...
    I didn't see this posted yet so just a heads up...
    Windows Skydrive cloud storage associated with your Live ID is changing.

The current 25Gb storage is being reduced to 7Gb and extra storage can be purchased if needed, like Apples iCloud.

Existing Skydrive account holders can get a free upgrade to 25Gb and keep it free permanently but you need to act fast.

Log into your Skydrive account and click the info bar at the top to activate the free upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭delynet

New update (12072) available on the Vodafone network this morning.

http://www.wpcentral.com/vodafone-rolling-out-nokia-lumia-800-update

Nothing major, still no tethering :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

delynet wrote: »
    New update (12072) available on the Vodafone network this morning.

http://www.wpcentral.com/vodafone-rolling-out-nokia-lumia-800-update

Nothing major, still no tethering :mad:

I think Nokia will push out tethering with Tango probably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭delynet

I just updated my phone (branded Vodafone) this morning and I am now running 12072. Lots of mention on Twitter that other countries got it too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

delynet wrote: »
    I just updated my phone (branded Vodafone) this morning and I am now running 12072. Lots of mention on Twitter that other countries got it too

This update fixes the volume bug in 12070 update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

I hope they have plans to work on the camera software in future updates. It really is a major disappointment, and as time goes on I am realising that a great camera is very close to the top of my list of vital features on a smartphone. Boo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Tried ordering a Lumia 800 as an upgrade from Three.ie, but after having being bounced over to Customer "Support" in Bangalore twice, I gave up.. !

So where can I order/buy a SIM free Lumia in Dublin without having to wait on postage from Swaziland or somewhere?

I see someone mentioned getting one Sim free for €289?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

7am to midday and my Lumia is down to 20% battery... The f**k?!

• Advertisement

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Tried ordering a Lumia 800 as an upgrade from Three.ie, but after having being bounced over to Customer "Support" in Bangalore twice, I gave up.. !

So where can I order/buy a SIM free Lumia in Dublin without having to wait on postage from Swaziland or somewhere?

I see someone mentioned getting one Sim free for €289?

http://www.adverts.ie/mobile-phones/nokia-lumia-800-unlocked/1576937

Bargain for somebody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Do you have the 12070 or 12072 update running? If so and even if you're running lots of background apps and email addresses I would look at getting it replaced, sounds like the battery has a problem. I can get 2 days out of mine on low usage and at least a day with heavy usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

Do you have the 12070 or 12072 update running? If so and even if you're running lots of background apps and email addresses I would look at getting it replaced, sounds like the battery has a problem. I can get 2 days out of mine on low usage and at least a day with heavy usage.

Email is set to hourly only, not an unusual mount of background tasks. To be fair it has never been this bad until today so I'll give it a week or so before contacting Nokia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭AngryLips

How do you know what apps are running in the background?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Go to Settings, flick to Applications and tap "background tasks". :)

OK, I'm a tad confused. I just updated to 12072. The previously mentioned link says that it addresses battery issues, but I thought they were addressed already in 12071 a few weeks ago? I saw a dramatic improvement in battery life after that one. Is this yet another battery fix? What's that now, like four shots at sorting the battery?

Anyone shed any light on it?

Ronan H wrote: »
    OK, I'm a tad confused. I just updated to 12072. The previously mentioned link says that it addresses battery issues, but I thought they were addressed already in 12071 a few weeks ago? I saw a dramatic improvement in battery life after that one. Is this yet another battery fix? What's that now, like four shots at sorting the battery?

Anyone shed any light on it?

Some carrier's stop releasing firmware 12070 when it was found to cause a volume bug. Firmware 12072 is firmware 12070+fix for the volume bug. It may never get pushed to your phone.

Also, there is always room for improvment with battery performance on any phone OS's. Most firmware's for all OS's will have battery tweaks added.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭spring21

Dub XV wrote: »
    Hi , from where did you get it at this price? I would love to get one .
    Thx

spring21 wrote: »
    Hi , from where did you get it at this price? I would love to get one .
    Thx

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_lumia/

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Some carrier's stop releasing firmware 12070 when it was found to cause a volume bug. Firmware 12072 is firmware 12070+fix for the volume bug. It may never get pushed to your phone.

Also, there is always room for improvment with battery performance on any phone OS's. Most firmware's for all OS's will have battery tweaks added.

Thanks, x72 did get pushed to my phone though, that's why I was a tad confused. Anyway sure if it improves the battery yet again then that's fine by me.

What was the volume bug anyway? I didn't experience any issues AFAICR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Thanks, x72 did get pushed to my phone though, that's why I was a tad confused. Anyway sure if it improves the battery yet again then that's fine by me.

What was the volume bug anyway? I didn't experience any issues AFAICR.

The volume bug is where volume under 10 goes back up to max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

mad muffin wrote: »

The volume bug is where volume under 10 goes back up to max.

I experienced this. It was very annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I'm with Vodafone and never seem to get updates from them. Never got the. 070 update and had to find and install it myself.

No sign of 072 being pushed out to me either.

If the Volume bug is annoying you (like it was me) you can do the update yourself. It's very very easy to do and you will not lose any data or settings etc...

Here's a link to xda where the instructions and links to the update file are.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1626140

I've checked it out and the volume bug is now fixed. :)

adox wrote: »
    I'm with Vodafone and never seem to get updates from them. Never got the. 070 update and had to find and install it myself.

No sign of 072 being pushed out to me either.

I presume you are checking for updates via Zune and that you have your phone set to check for updates also?

I am also with Vodafone and I have received the last two updates via Zune so I'm not sure why you don't / haven't...

And...is anyone baffled by the design of the plug? It looks fab, very iPhone, but jeepers, have you ever tried to take it out of a socket? :eek:

Anyone got any hacks to address this issue?

And...is anyone baffled by the design of the plug? It looks fab, very iPhone, but jeepers, have you ever tried to take it out of a socket? :eek:

Anyone got any hacks to address this issue?

I picked up an older style Nokia charger a year ago with a Mini USB end. Their the best chargers :) You get a long lead with them and a big enough socket insert to pull it out easy :) I really hate the short leads they give us today.

Good point, the leads have become shorter and shorter over the years, and yes it is a PITA! It must be the rising price of copper!

I presume you are checking for updates via Zune and that you have your phone set to check for updates also?

I am also with Vodafone and I have received the last two updates via Zune so I'm not sure why you don't / haven't...

Yep. Keeps telling me I am up to date.

Does the latest firmware have any other benefits apart from fixing the volume issue?

• Advertisement

Yep. Keeps telling me I am up to date.

Does the latest firmware have any other benefits apart from fixing the volume issue?

Seems odd that you are not getting it. Maybe its to do with product codes? Sometimes firmware is restricted to certain codes even within the same operator.

Here's what WMPowerUser has to say:

Nokia has released an another firmware update for Nokia Lumia 800 device, however the update is not pushed out to end users yet. The new firmware version 12072 is a minor update that fixes audio volume bug which users reported after the 12070 update. The previous update 12070 fixed the power management issues, etc,. Mobiletechworld also reports that the new firmware contains an updated Camera app with auto detection of 50/60Hz and updated camera settings.

I haven't seen an official changelog yet and the bit about the camera is new too, hadn't heard that prior to now!

What firmware does your phone say it has?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Apps not showing in zune marketplace, very annoying.

That was removed a couple of days ago. From now on you can search and look for apps through the phone only or go to www.windowsphone.com and search through there and remote install. I always preferred the website over Zune. Its a lot more pleasing to the eye

You can added it back in by adding a new field to the register, here's a link to it. It's very easy to do..

http://www.wpcentral.com/bring-back-windows-phone-marketplace-zune-simple-registry-addition

Seems odd that you are not getting it. Maybe its to do with product codes? Sometimes firmware is restricted to certain codes even within the same operator.

Here's what WMPowerUser has to say:

Nokia has released an another firmware update for Nokia Lumia 800 device, however the update is not pushed out to end users yet. The new firmware version 12072 is a minor update that fixes audio volume bug which users reported after the 12070 update. The previous update 12070 fixed the power management issues, etc,. Mobiletechworld also reports that the new firmware contains an updated Camera app with auto detection of 50/60Hz and updated camera settings.

I haven't seen an official changelog yet and the bit about the camera is new too, hadn't heard that prior to now!

What firmware does your phone say it has?

Thanks for that. I`m on 12070 but I updated to that firmware version myself as there was no sign of it being pushed out to my phone.

Thanks for that. I`m on 12070 but I updated to that firmware version myself as there was no sign of it being pushed out to my phone.

That is intriguingly odd.

Was your phone replaced under an insurance claim or did you buy it second hand from anywhere? How long do you have it?

I'm not being nosey, I'm just trying to get to the bottom of it as it's a curious thing.

Sometimes when a phone is replaced (under warranty or insurance), the replacement phones are sometimes from a different region, such as Spain (for example), which was what happened in my case with my old phone. I had it replaced, then after a few months my contract expired and I tried to get an unlock code from the Vodafone website, but it said that it was not a Vodafone Ireland handset, so I could not the unlock code.

I guess what I am saying is that these things are sometimes very convoluted, and what applies in one situation doesn't always apply in another, seemingly identical, situation, and because of that I am always interested in getting to the bottom of such complicated situations.

Usually I have found that the solution usually is of great benefit to the community as well as the person experiencing the issue!

Ro

• Advertisement

That is intriguingly odd.

Was your phone replaced under an insurance claim or did you buy it second hand from anywhere? How long do you have it?

I'm not being nosey, I'm just trying to get to the bottom of it as it's a curious thing.

Sometimes when a phone is replaced (under warranty or insurance), the replacement phones are sometimes from a different region, such as Spain (for example), which was what happened in my case with my old phone. I had it replaced, then after a few months my contract expired and I tried to get an unlock code from the Vodafone website, but it said that it was not a Vodafone Ireland handset, so I could not the unlock code.

I guess what I am saying is that these things are sometimes very convoluted, and what applies in one situation doesn't always apply in another, seemingly identical, situation, and because of that I am always interested in getting to the bottom of such complicated situations.

Usually I have found that the solution usually is of great benefit to the community as well as the person experiencing the issue!

Ro

Nah its a new work phone on contract from Vodafone, have it a month or so.

Anyway, Murphys law, I checked Zune last night and the update was there.:)

I dont know what happened with the original 070 update. I contacted both Vodafone and Nokia and the only response they could give me was wait.

Nah its a new work phone on contract from Vodafone, have it a month or so.

Anyway, Murphys law, I checked Zune last night and the update was there.:)

I dont know what happened with the original 070 update. I contacted both Vodafone and Nokia and the only response they could give me was wait.

Its nothing new, for any update for a phone they don't all come up in one go. Their released gradually in case a bug builds up, I remember the NoDo upgrade I think was bricking Omnia 7's back in the start of WP7. So the update was seized quickly.

Not everyone gets it the same day. There's usually a week time frame to see a notification come to your phone :) You have to wait for your turn I guess :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Hahah, what's up WP Morlocks? Where is your Viber? Huh? Huh? That's right!...

CyberGhost wrote: »

Troll much?

CyberGhost wrote: »

Its coming this week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Its coming this week

Nah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

Has anyone on Meteor been able to update?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭jonseyblub

Okay so I've read through the first 31 pages of this thread and can't find anyone who has used the phone on a mac. Apologies if its on p 32!!!
    So anyone use a mac as their preferred pc and use the lumia too? Any particular problems I should know about. Is it possible to sync music from Itunes to it?
    Nothing got to do with the mac but is it possible to sync google contacts to it.

Any help would be appreciated

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

jonseyblub wrote: »
    Okay so I've read through the first 31 pages of this thread and can't find anyone who has used the phone on a mac. Apologies if its on p 32!!!
    So anyone use a mac as their preferred pc and use the lumia too? Any particular problems I should know about. Is it possible to sync music from Itunes to it?
    Nothing got to do with the mac but is it possible to sync google contacts to it.

Any help would be appreciated

thanks

There is an OSX app that lets you sync your iTunes media to your WP7 device, its not as feature filled as the Windows one, but it does the job fine.

You can add your Google account to your phone too, and choose to sync contacts, calender and mail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

DjFlin wrote: »
    There is an OSX app that lets you sync your iTunes media to your WP7 device, its not as feature filled as the Windows one, but it does the job fine.

You can add your Google account to your phone too, and choose to sync contacts, calender and mail.

Exactly. The Windows Phone connector is in the App Store. Works very well, but better if you have iTunes playlists set up. Contacts should be set to Gmail anyway - works with Android, iOS, WP7 and Blackberry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

seadnamac wrote: »
    Has anyone on Meteor been able to update?

Nope, not me anyway... I'm in contact with the guys on Twitter, but I'm not sure they know how to fix it... :(

Nice one Evo. Good to see them putting some time into the navigation features now that the main hardware issues hav ebeen addressed (still holding out for a camera miracle though!)...

Ro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Is anyone using this phone on 3? Do you ever get a H instead of 3G when online mine is always stuck on 3G with poor speeds. I was in the UK last week roaming on 3 and H was up all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

I'm on vodafone myself, that H is on my phone most of the time ( i assume H stands for huspa? )

• Advertisement
Advertisement