Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia Lumia 800

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Is anyone using this phone on 3? Do you ever get a H instead of 3G when online mine is always stuck on 3G with poor speeds. I was in the UK last week roaming on 3 and H was up all the time.

H should only be there when internet is being used 3G is for standby really, you won't great speeds with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Is anyone using this phone on 3? Do you ever get a H instead of 3G when online mine is always stuck on 3G with poor speeds. I was in the UK last week roaming on 3 and H was up all the time.

H should only be there when internet is being used 3G is for standby really, you won't great speeds with it.

Ah yeah I know, H never shows up anymore was working fine in the UK must be a 3 issue. Called them about it earlier no comment ha! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

I'm on 3 and once got it on the M50 just before the Dundrum exit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Only seen it once on mine too when I was setting it up and synching emails. I think it's the firmware 3 have on it rather than a network thing as I can get over 4mbps downloads on it while its still staying on 3G. Also other phones ie Android move from 3G to H and the iPhone doesn't change from 3G

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Is 12070 the latest firmware or is there an update released?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

My boyfriend wants this phone and the main reason for it is that he wants to be able to play xbox arcade games on the move.
    Would anyone be able to tell me please is the phone actually linked to your xbox (as in if you get an achievement on the phone does it show on your xbox gamertag?). In short he's a gamer who's never owned a smart phone (currently has the old model samsung toco) and just wants to know is this the best option :/

bubblefett wrote: »
    My boyfriend wants this phone and the main reason for it is that he wants to be able to play xbox arcade games on the move.
    Would anyone be able to tell me please is the phone actually linked to your xbox (as in if you get an achievement on the phone does it show on your xbox gamertag?). In short he's a gamer who's never owned a smart phone (currently has the old model samsung toco) and just wants to know is this the best option :/

Yes your achievements show up on the phone and on the xbox. Here's a little video of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Yes your achievements show up on the phone and on the xbox. Here's a little video of it.

That's brilliant! Thanks a million for the help :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

It's time to Tango, nearly:

Nokia Lumia 800 Tango Update Now Available In Nokia Update Servers

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/WmPowerUser/~3/LSdWFQbNf00/

"Last week we saw about the upcoming Tango aka Mango Refresh update coming for Nokia Lumia 710 devices. Now we can confirm that the Nokia Lumia 800 devices will also get this Tango update soon. The build 1750.805.8773.12140 is already available in Nokia servers which you can download via Navifirm tool. We expect this update would bring Internet sharing feature along with other Windows Phone Tango features such as enhanced MMS capabilities, etc,. If you are a Nokia Lumia 800 owner, get ready to enjoy these features!"

Internet sharing win!

Ro

• Advertisement

Ronan H wrote: »
    It's time to Tango, nearly:

Nokia Lumia 800 Tango Update Now Available In Nokia Update Servers

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/WmPowerUser/~3/LSdWFQbNf00/

"Last week we saw about the upcoming Tango aka Mango Refresh update coming for Nokia Lumia 710 devices. Now we can confirm that the Nokia Lumia 800 devices will also get this Tango update soon. The build 1750.805.8773.12140 is already available in Nokia servers which you can download via Navifirm tool. We expect this update would bring Internet sharing feature along with other Windows Phone Tango features such as enhanced MMS capabilities, etc,. If you are a Nokia Lumia 800 owner, get ready to enjoy these features!"

Internet sharing win!

Ro

I wouldn't install the firmware thats there at the moment, its a Chinese firmware and doesn't include the Fackbook or twitter integration. Hang on a little bit longer :)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1640558

Totally agree. I have no interest in using rooted firmware unless there is a major benefit in doing so. I'll hang on until the mainstream version is out. Fair play to them, they are working hard at putting out the updates!

Ro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

There is an app called testmynet in the US marketplace is there any way of downloading it here? would a us vpn work?

There is an app called testmynet in the US marketplace is there any way of downloading it here? would a us vpn work?

The only way to do it is if you have a dev unlocked device. You can download xap and load it on.

On the Internet tethering thing. I saw before my eyes last night, a Windows phone sharing it's connection so an iPad could avail of it. I think it was a HTC but I can't remember 100%, I must have been in shock. How would this be a feature on another Windows phone if we are all on the same OS versions, or are there different flavours?

I extremely doubt that it was rooted or fiddled as the owner is not a techie person.

Story with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Related note - have a problem.
    Have aNokia Lumia 710 - it wont charge and they're sending me another one tomorrow.
    I'm scared of losing all my contacts - but cant find anywhere an option to transfer the contacts from the phone to the SIM.
    Anyone know how to do this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

On the Internet tethering thing. I saw before my eyes last night, a Windows phone sharing it's connection so an iPad could avail of it. I think it was a HTC but I can't remember 100%, I must have been in shock. How would this be a feature on another Windows phone if we are all on the same OS versions, or are there different flavours?

I extremely doubt that it was rooted or fiddled as the owner is not a techie person.

Story with that?

I've had internet sharing on my LG Optimus 7 for months now, surprised to hear you don't have in on the Nokia.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Story with that?

My HTC Titan has it out of the box. It's just something Nokia didn't get around to implementing before they released the phones.

OEM's can implement features, like the EQ and attentive phone features HTC has in their phones.

kstand wrote: »
    Have aNokia Lumia 710 - it wont charge and they're sending me another one tomorrow.
    I'm scared of losing all my contacts - but cant find anywhere an option to transfer the contacts from the phone to the SIM.

Your contacts should be store in your live id. When you set up your new phone your contacts will be downloaded.

Also after you set up your new phone download Reinstaller from the marketplace. That app lets you reinstall all your apps without having to go looking for them again.

mad muffin wrote: »
    My HTC Titan has it out of the box. It's just something Nokia didn't get around to implementing before they released the phones.

OEM's can implement features, like the EQ and attentive phone features HTC has in their phones.

Your contacts should be store in your live id. When you set up your new phone your contacts will be down loaded.

Live ID? I never set that up - is there no way to copy contacts from phone to SIM as I've always done?

Story with that?

Nokia phones are the only ones that don't have that feature enabled. Apparently its coming soon in an update bundled in with Tango.
    kstand wrote: »

There's no need to back them up. When you get a new phone and put in your Hotmail in again it will restore your contacts from the cloud again. Once you have a Windows Live ID set up or a Hotmail in the phone it will back up all your contacts, it will restore them if you move to a new phone.

If you wanna check to make sure their backed up just log into Hotmail and go look into your contacts and you will see whats there, though they should all automatically sync

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Bulmers

how do you get your contacts to sync with hotmail acc?..i checked my account and the contacts have not updated..is there something i have to force to do this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Bulmers wrote: »
    how do you get your contacts to sync with hotmail acc?..i checked my account and the contacts have not updated..is there something i have to force to do this?

Settings->Email & Accounts->tap+hold on windows live->click sync

TBi wrote: »

Settings->Email & Accounts->tap+hold on windows live->click sync

Assuming one has a Hotmail account. Bulmers do you? If not, add one at the above Email & Accounts page...and then do the sync bit...

Your Hotmail/Windows Live ID is the email address you registered in the start in order to access the marketplace. You were asked to create a live ID. Without making one you wouldn't be able to download apps or sync contacts, calendar or trace your phone or remote install apps from windows phone website

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-ie/apps/windows-live.aspx

yes have hotmail account and sync'd hotmail but when i check contacts in my hotmail acc, i dont have the contacts from my phone..

is there a tickbox anywhere that i need to tick to sync phone contacts - i have mailforexchange and there is an option under the settings in email to tick what you want sync'd.

dont seem to have this for hotmail account..

yes have hotmail account and sync'd hotmail but when i check contacts in my hotmail acc, i dont have the contacts from my phone..

is there a tickbox anywhere that i need to tick to sync phone contacts - i have mailforexchange and there is an option under the settings in email to tick what you want sync'd.

dont seem to have this for hotmail account..

That's strange. How did you add the account? Did you use mailforexchange or did you set up as a windows live account? Do you have other accounts on the phone? Maybe they are syncing there.

Go into any contact on the phone and click edit, does it say "Edit windows live"? If it says something else like "Edit google" or "edit facebook" then that's the account where your contacts are syncing to.

Look Under Settings -> Email + Accounts if you go in you should see Hotmail or Windows Live or Whatever you named your email. It should have a flag icon beside it.

When going into it it should

[ Account Name ]

[Download New Content]

[Download Email From]

scaled.php?server=40&filename=screencapture2y.jpg&res=landing

This is how my account looks like when I go into it. Hotmail is an exchange server unless you somehow managed to set up pop Hotmail. Then that way your contacts wouldn't sync.

You can add a Windows Live ID by going to same place under Email + Accounts

scaled.php?server=819&filename=screencapturel.jpg&res=landing

Look Under Settings -> Email + Accounts if you go in you should see Hotmail or Windows Live or Whatever you named your email. It should have a flag icon beside it.

When going into it it should

[ Account Name ]

[Download New Content]

[Download Email From]

scaled.php?server=40&filename=screencapture2y.jpg&res=landing

This is how my account looks like when I go into it. Hotmail is an exchange server unless you somehow managed to set up pop Hotmail. Then that way your contacts wouldn't sync.

You can add a Windows Live ID by going to same place under Email + Accounts

scaled.php?server=819&filename=screencapturel.jpg&res=landing

Great stuff - thanks ever so much. Manged to get it done just before the phone died. If there was a "buy you a pint" icon I'd stick it on this. Thanks ever so much.

Lumia 800 for E375 on amazon.de at the moment. Very tempted... but still not sure if i need an upgrade for my Trophy. One question is... black or cyan?

Lumia 800 for E375 on amazon.de at the moment. Very tempted... but still not sure if i need an upgrade for my Trophy. One question is... black or cyan?

800? Don't you mean 900?

800? Don't you mean 900?

Eh... no...

I don't need a big screen on my phone, don't see the point of the 900.

• Advertisement

Eh... no...

I just thought that the price is quite expensive for the 800.

I just thought that the price is quite expensive for the 800.

Please tell me where you can get a Cyan Lumia 800 for a good price? Unlocked and from a reputable seller.

Please tell me where you can get a Cyan Lumia 800 for a good price? Unlocked and from a reputable seller.

Well I sold a black one unlocked and two weeks old for €250 :p

If you want Cyan though then I guess...

Well I sold a black one unlocked and two weeks old for €250 :p

If you want Cyan though then I guess...

Second hand != New

or if you are more familiar with Basic

Second hand <> New

Eh... no...

Well the 900 has

RGB matrix on the screen so the graphics are going to look a bit sharper, also the bigger screen might appeal to some more than the others.
    Front Facing Camera, might be important to some
    It also has tethering, gyroscope and it runs tango :)

and it doesn't have the floppy charging port door, which was quit a bad usability decision even though it looks good when its covered.

Those points appeal to me very much, they didn't appeal to me on the 800.

Though aesthetics wise I think the 800 with its curved screen and smaller size is a bit more appealing, the geeky person in me chooses function over design :) Hence why ill be picking it up soon when it launches in Ireland.

Though one major draw back of the 900 is that it doesnt have a BSI sensor in its camera. So pictures wont be as good as my Titan :(

Well the 900 has
    <SNIP>

I agree it has a lot of nice extra things, but they could have put them in the 800. It's actually one of the reasons i haven't got an 800 yet. I want the specs of the 900, in a 800 size body/screen.

Apple have crammed more into the smaller 4s than Nokia has crammed into the gigantic 900!

I really like WP7 but (ignoring the processor) there is no hardware out there that grabs me at the moment. I don't care if it only has single processor, but i do want accelerometer, BSI camera, FFC, tethering.

Second hand is not equal to new, yes, but there have been plenty unlocked examples, still in the cellophane wrapping, on Adverts.ie over the last few weeks. You still may not agree that that is not equal to new, but for the sake of saving €50 to €100, it's new enough for me!

Edit: Sorry, I have edited the bajaysus out of this post, taken out quotes etc... I was waffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Just a quick question on voice recognition. Ive starting using it in the car with a bluetooth set to reply to text messages but cant figure out how to say a full stop, comma etc. If I use the words they just appear as the words.

adox wrote: »
    Just a quick question on voice recognition. Ive starting using it in the car with a bluetooth set to reply to text messages but cant figure out how to say a full stop, comma etc. If I use the words they just appear as the words.

I've done a bit of Googling. It seems that you can't do it, but I am baffled as to why it isn't possible...

http://forums.wpcentral.com/os-discussion/181509.htm

Seems like a very basic thing to not have.

:confused:

• Advertisement

Well the 900 has
    <SNIP>

I agree it has a lot of nice extra things, but they could have put them in the 800. It's actually one of the reasons i haven't got an 800 yet. I want the specs of the 900, in a 800 size body/screen.

Apple have crammed more into the smaller 4s than Nokia has crammed into the gigantic 900!

I really like WP7 but (ignoring the processor) there is no hardware out there that grabs me at the moment. I don't care if it only has single processor, but i do want accelerometer, BSI camera, FFC, tethering.

Couldn't agree with that more, though im sure everyone has a dream phone or a pc.
    Though its hard to always find exactly what your looking for, otherwise you wouldn't buy a phone again in your life :)

Nokia sort or quickly threw together all the current wp7 line up. All the current line of Lumia's are Symbian or Meego devices quickly updated to run wp7 to launch it together with mango launch. Might explain the missing functions.

Hence why I sort of stayed away from the 800. I hope with the launch of WP8 they will have something small and high in specs.

I really can't stand right now the way android is going with bigger is always better philosophy. I don't want a huge screen and iPhone is way too small.

Then again if I had a Lumia 800, 900 i would be complaining because you get a lot of features for the price 800,900 are both marginally cheaper than the iPhone. So its a good bargain I think. Especially on contract, 200 +- on contract for an iPhone 4S. 99 euro for a Lumia 800

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

So I caved and got myself an 800. Already came with the updates installed in the O2 shop. Am loving it so far. Screen is sharp, easy to use and battery life is reasonable.

Am also impressed with how the blacks truly are black!

The one observation I've made is that the camera, although good, is not great. My 5MP Nokia C5 has a a far better focus on it. Is there any plan by nokia to resolve this issue via software or is it primarily a hardware issue?

I'm also wondering too if Tango is coming to the 800? Apologies if it's already been said but wading through all of the pages can be a little confusing..!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Cyan. Its beautiful. I was torn between it and pink but got the pink, can't imagine having black now. 375 is grand when you think they're still over 400 when locked to one network, mine was 430 from amazon.de. The price will jump slightly for vat adjustment but nothing major.

FGR wrote: »
    So I caved and got myself an 800. Already came with the updates installed in the O2 shop. Am loving it so far. Screen is sharp, easy to use and battery life is reasonable.

Am also impressed with how the blacks truly are black!

The one observation I've made is that the camera, although good, is not great. My 5MP Nokia C5 has a a far better focus on it. Is there any plan by nokia to resolve this issue via software or is it primarily a hardware issue?

I'm also wondering too if Tango is coming to the 800? Apologies if it's already been said but wading through all of the pages can be a little confusing..!

I feel your pain with the camera. It really is poor considering how cameras of the last two years have performed. There definitely is a focus issue, and it is not cool.

Tango is coming. It is already available on rooted handsets. At the moment it seems that the big feature of the Tango release will be tethering. Hopefully it will be one of a few big features on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Lemon_grass

Really like the look of the 800 and my 3GS has seen better days (and a bit sick of iOS). So it's basically a toss up between replacing my 3GS with either a Lumia 800 (maybe 900 if and when it reaches here) or a HTC One S.

My main dilemma is that I use Whatsapp on a daily basis and heard that it doesn't play nicely with WP7, specifically that the push notifications don't work and the only way to retrieve your Whatsapp messages is to open the app and check manually. Does anyone have experience of using Whatsapp with a Lumia 800?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Whatsapp works fine on my Lumia. There is push notification, the only thing is that there is no icon to indicate that you have a message on the locked screen (if you happen to miss the beep and flash notice on receipt of the message) so essentially you have to unlock the screen and look at the icon to see if there's a message there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭AngryLips

adox wrote: »

Is this Siri style functionality? Did they resuscitate that irritating MS paperclip to talk back? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

AngryLips wrote: »
    Is this Siri style functionality? Did they resuscitate that irritating MS paperclip to talk back? :pac:

Yeah it's like a simplified version of Siri. You can make calls, send text messages etc and have them read out to you. You can also open up apps with voice commands.

One question is... black or cyan?

Cyan :)

Untitled-13.jpg

I feel your pain with the camera. It really is poor considering how cameras of the last two years have performed. There definitely is a focus issue, and it is not cool..

agree,camera is really bad...colour is strange,focus random and quality no better than my old 3GS but maybe with updates might get better....

• Registered Users Posts: 48 micko2009

Have complained a bit in this thread over the last few months regarding the Lumia... Not so much about the windows platform but heres a couple of things ive noticed about my experience in recent times.

Regardless of the battery issues which were a major one for any early Lumia owner, I am finding other things frustrating.

I am not sure if this happans to anyone else, but I find the Call forwarding icon constantly staying on, also the Data roaming triangle will come on and stay on a good bit. I have poor enough signal in work and at home but It just bugs me that they stay on most of the day.. Checked out the settings and can't see that I am doing anything wrong.

Second gripe is the Notifications systems or lack of. I am not sure if this is a Windows Platform problem or the Lumia. My biggest annoyance is when you wake the phone up you start getting email or other notifications even though they are set up every 15 minutes to send for email.Agreed you need a certain amount of signal strength to get notifications but I remember even with my crappy 3G iPhone it was much better. BTW that doesn't happan all the time but its random.

Whatsapp sometimes works great, other times you need to physically go into the app and you might see 3 messages in a row that never got notified to the live tile. That is very annoying.

It's hard to point fingers at who's to blame.. I have had issues with the Lumia & with the windows platform but Its not a match made in heaven. I hope WP8 will be better cause if not Its back to IOS for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement