Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia Lumia 800

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

vicM wrote: »
    I had updated the phone to the latest update including the firmware, so dont know why it stalled,shall be asking for a report when picking up the phone

Before you leave their office, install the diagnostic app by dialing ##634# Then check the battery status there. If the battery icon is completly white its not fixed.

Make sure they have the latest firmware on the phone otherwise the battery problem will come back when you install the new firmware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭vicM

is 1750.0805.8773.12220 the latest firmware?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

That's what my new one is.

Yip thats the latest.

Dropped my phone into Fonfix on the 20/08 and they are now saying I won't have my new phone till the 06/09 :eek: That's a pain in the arse as I'm off for 2 weeks on the 03/09. 3 weeks seems like a long time to get a replacement phone sent? :confused:

I've emailed them to ask if I can get it couriered over at my expense but I'm pretty sure they'll say it's not possible :(

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Yip thats the latest.

Dropped my phone into Fonfix on the 20/08 and they are now saying I won't have my new phone till the 06/09 :eek: That's a pain in the arse as I'm off for 2 weeks on the 03/09. 3 weeks seems like a long time to get a replacement phone sent? :confused:

I've emailed them to ask if I can get it couriered over at my expense but I'm pretty sure they'll say it's not possible :(

Is it because of the colour? Is yours Cyan?

Very hard to go so long without a phone. I was using an E51 whilst it was in Fonemenders. It was like living without an arm. Really noticed how good the Lumia is when it was gone.

• Advertisement

Dub XV wrote: »
    Is it because of the colour? Is yours Cyan?

Very hard to go so long without a phone. I was using an E51 whilst it was in Fonemenders. It was like living without an arm. Really noticed how good the Lumia is when it was gone.

Yip it's Cyan alright.

I'm using a HTC HD2 with a Windows Phone 7 Mango rom flashed on and it works very well. My only problem in the SD card I'm using is only 1GB in size so I don't have much room to install anything on it. :pac:

I don't know if anyone remembered Nokia running a competion to win a Nokia Lumia. “What would you do for a Nokia Lumia”. Well out of all the replies one bloke called Damien from Wexford tweeted

@Nokia I will let you paint my car for a Lumia 900. I am serious.” – @skooal – aka Damien, from Wexford

Well he won a Nokia Lumia 900 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I got my headphones today, and they're pretty neat, they have a much sturdier "feel" than I expected.

Shame my actual Lumia is off getting repaired...

Got back the lumia back yesterday, apparently a faulty component was to blame. did the battery diagnostic and seems fine. Latest firmware as well, the lumia is flying :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Got back the lumia back yesterday, apparently a faulty component was to blame. did the battery diagnostic and seems fine. Latest firmware as well, the lumia is flying :D

Sweet hopefully that would be a the last of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭richard2010

I have a really stupid question to ask. When texting on the 800 can you choose between a qwerty or an alphanumeric keypad?

Thanks

I have a really stupid question to ask. When texting on the 800 can you choose between a qwerty or an alphanumeric keypad?

Thanks
    No but there's an app in the marketplace for a 1.50 I think that brings in a great 4x3 keyboard

T9 keyboard or something its called. Should be in the top paid apps

I got my headphones today, and they're pretty neat, they have a much sturdier "feel" than I expected.

Shame my actual Lumia is off getting repaired...

What's up with your lumia??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Is there any way of switching off predictive text on the lumia? its fecking annoying when sending text or leaving comments on facebook:mad:

It woke up bricked the other day. :(

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Is there any way of switching off predictive text on the lumia? its fecking annoying when sending text or leaving comments on facebook:mad:

Settings
    - System
    - Keyboard
    - Typing settings
    - English

And then uncheck "suggest text and highlight mispelt words"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Settings
    - System
    - Keyboard
    - Typing settings
    - English

And then uncheck "suggest text and highlight mispelt words"

Thanks a mill Dub xv, got it sorted. Still learning how to use the lumia:o

It woke up bricked the other day. :(

think the latest firmware had something corrupting a power IC, the phone just dies!

Any one seen lines running across the screen on a white colour? Once the whole screen is white see lines running through it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

What is the main reason for installing a custom rom?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

What is the main reason for installing a custom rom?

Customisation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Any one seen lines running across the screen on a white colour? Once the whole screen is white see lines running through it

Yes Evo, I notice that sometimes. It's kinda faint but it's definitely there. I was hoping it was my imagination! :o

Ronan H wrote: »

Yes Evo, I notice that sometimes. It's kinda faint but it's definitely there. I was hoping it was my imagination! :o

Let me guess they appeared after the tango upgrade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

Any ideas why my lumia won't connect to Zune. The notification sound to indicate its connected sounds, it shows its charging.

It was working perfect last week. Any ideas?

eire-kp wrote: »
    Any ideas why my lumia won't connect to Zune. The notification sound to indicate its connected sounds, it shows its charging.

It was working perfect last week. Any ideas?

Did it get the latest update recently?

Are you using the correct cable that was supplied with the phone?

After the update my one started acting up. Would charge but not connect to Zune....then eventually would do neither.

I gave it to FoneMenders Clondalkin and after 10 days I got a new replacement. I did have some other issues like not being able to send or receive MMS and could not send emails containing pics etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

hey guys a lumia/ windows phone question.

I got a lumia 710 lovely phone only just messing around with it now, is there any way to control how it access the net, can you set it to only check emails and allow internet explorer when it has a wifi connection ?

Its not a big deal its just i will need to go to a higher pay as you go offer otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

Did it get the latest update recently?

Are you using the correct cable that was supplied with the phone?

After the update my one started acting up. Would charge but not connect to Zune....then eventually would do neither.

I gave it to FoneMenders Clondalkin and after 10 days I got a new replacement. I did have some other issues like not being able to send or receive MMS and could not send emails containing pics etc.

It has the latest update about to weeks. Got it to sync after a few attempts when I installed Zune on a netbook . Must try it again later on the original laptop.
    Thanks for the reply..hopefully there isn't trouble ahead!

Are Fonemenders Nokia agents or how does it work?

eire-kp wrote: »
    It has the latest update about to weeks. Got it to sync after a few attempts when I installed Zune on a netbook . Must try it again later on the original laptop.
    Thanks for the reply..hopefully there isn't trouble ahead!

Are Fonemenders Nokia agents or how does it work?

Yes they are authorised Nokia agents but going by this thread and others people tend to give them a swerve. There are Nokia care points in various areas, Navan and Galway being two. There was a Galway staff member here offering to take any dodgy phones and look after them for us via post. I don't know where you are living.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

has anyone here installed custom rom?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Fonemenders sorted mine out, sent it away for microphone and speaker issues. I thought id have to pay as it was my fault..dropped it into food. But I didn't. Happy with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Let me guess they appeared after the tango upgrade?

Hmmm, to be honest I can't remember when I first noticed it, but it is a tad unnerving. Anything like that always reminds of of GPU failure on a laptop!

It possibly is merely a software issue if it occurred post-Tango, or at least I'm hoping that's the case...

On a short aside, I'm beginning to get tempted by a custom flash. I'm craving customisation bigtime and this phone in its current state is just not fitting the bill for that crack!

I'm enjoying the Lumia all round, but my sole gripe is that the native MP3 player interface is vastly inferior to the one Nokia themselves provided on older phones, and I find myself carrying around my old 5800 to use as an independent MP3 player sooner than bother with the Lumia as a result.

Can anybody recommend a better app? In particular, I'd like to be able to tweak equalisation and skip around using a progress bar, but anything has to be better than this, it feels like going back in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Have my Lumia 800 a week and really enjoying it.

My biggest tips for moving a lot of contacts 1500+ from old Nokia N8:

I sorted my contacts from my old N8 by syncing to Outlook 2003 in a standard pst file using OVI suite.
    I then cleaned up my contacts manually making sure the mobile number is in the mobile field, or sending an SMS will not be available within the contact on the Lumia phone.
    Then setup a windows live / hotmail account, I used live.ie as it has really good availability of desired names.
    Then downloaded and installed the Outlook Hotmail connector and setup my new live account in Outlook 2003.
    When that was up and running I copied my local contacts to the hotmail web connector contacts and they all synced to the live account with no issue.
    I have my windows live contacts syncing everyday with outlook 2003 aswell as my email and it works really well.

All a lot easier that uploading csv files and the like, I did not use the Bluetooth phone to phone contact transfer as my contacts really needed tidying up.

Would recommend anyone setting up a hotmail/windows live account as it pays off with the facebook and gmail interconnection. However be warned linking to your gmail contacts will show the contacts but will not allow you to edit them so a real pain on the phone hence I dropped this linkage.

The people section is really fantastic when linked to facebook. Phone works brilliantly even pairs to the nokia car kit without issue. Call quality is excellent and the browser is really good.

Nokia drive is brilliant.

A few minor quibbles:
    - You cannot text a contact to someone else as a vcf a basic feature that should be their.
    - Have issues with opening pdf files in email have reinstalled Adobe reader from the marketplace and restarted the phone 2 times and its still not displaying.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Landoflemon

I'm enjoying the Lumia all round, but my sole gripe is that the native MP3 player interface is vastly inferior to the one Nokia themselves provided on older phones, and I find myself carrying around my old 5800 to use as an independent MP3 player sooner than bother with the Lumia as a result.

Can anybody recommend a better app? In particular, I'd like to be able to tweak equalisation and skip around using a progress bar, but anything has to be better than this, it feels like going back in time.

I'd also love a better music player, my main problem with it being the lack of custom equilisation as I feel that bass is a little weak by default.

I'd also love a better music player, my main problem with it being the lack of custom equilisation as I feel that bass is a little weak by default.

Ditto. I've tried some of the others, but they seem to be basically the same functionality with a different look. I just want a bit of bass and a progress bar, is that so much to ask? :(

Also, am I raving or can you only listen to an artist album by album? Previous Nokias let you shuffle through all songs by a particular artist at a time. Maybe it's the Windows thang, but the music player is incredibly awkward given what it's competing with and it seems a little too blatantly geared towards streaming for my liking. It's a pretty frustrating weakness, I mean it seems like a decent music player should be something you can take for granted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭pedatron

Lads,

I have posted here before about unlocking and had no joy with it at all. Has anyone else come up with an easier way to unlock this phone? Finding it very difficult! This is coming from a fella who has unlocked Android phones and iPhones before¬

I unlocked my Meteor Lumia 800, had to go through the mobile company a long story but basically you need an 8 numeric only digit code that is supplied when you supply the mobile company with the phone's IMEI (dial *#06# ).

Then insert a foreign SIM and you will be immediately prompted for the code, enter is and away you go. Or if unlocking with your current working sim follow below:

1.Switch the handset on
    2.Enter your PIN
    3.Now enter ##782#
    4.Press Call
    5.The customer will then be required to enter the ‘PIN’ , this is the unlocking code.

You get 10 attempts.

Be aware that their is a lot of ignorance of this procedure even from phone companies and their support agents. If they give you the old nokia unlock procedure, bringing up the P and W characters by multiple presses of the * key they are WRONG and it does not work.

I should add the Adobe pdf reader is now working fine for new mails its the initial email attachment that had a pdf file triggering the Adobe reader download that does not open. So no issue their now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭pedatron

I unlocked my Meteor Lumia 800, had to go through the mobile company a long story but basically you need an 8 numeric only digit code that is supplied when you supply the mobile company with the phone's IMEI (dial *#06# ).

Then insert a foreign SIM and you will be immediately prompted for the code, enter is and away you go. Or if unlocking with your current working sim follow below:

1.Switch the handset on
    2.Enter your PIN
    3.Now enter ##782#
    4.Press Call
    5.The customer will then be required to enter the ‘PIN’ , this is the unlocking code.

You get 10 attempts.

Be aware that their is a lot of ignorance of this procedure even from phone companies and their support agents. If they give you the old nokia unlock procedure, bringing up the P and W characters by multiple presses of the * key they are WRONG and it does not work.

Many thanks for the reply. Very clear and accurate instructions. It's on o2 while I'm with emobile. Had you any problems getting the unlock code off of them as you weren't an actual customer with them?

Had a load of grief getting the unlock code off Meteor they kept supplying the older type Nokia unlock code and procedure took over 3 weeks to persuade them they were wrong, Nokia Lumia's have an entirely different unlocking code system, eventually got their.

Do not know what O2 is like. I have gotten old unlock codes from them before (Nokia N8, E52 etc) for old nokia's without issue. Usually I email the request through putting the phone number and IMEI on the email and send to customer.care@o2.com stress the phone is a Lumia 800 windows phone, good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Also, am I raving or can you only listen to an artist album by album? Previous Nokias let you shuffle through all songs by a particular artist at a time. Maybe it's the Windows thang, but the music player is incredibly awkward given what it's competing with and it seems a little too blatantly geared towards streaming for my liking. It's a pretty frustrating weakness, I mean it seems like a decent music player should be something you can take for granted.

When you are scroling through the list of artists just press the big Play icon beside the artist name; that plays every song by the artist by album order.

Although there isn't a "scrubber" to skip to parts of a song when a track is playing, you can hold down the Next or Previous buttons to fast forward / rewind. Its a bit painful if you have an hour long mix mp3 but its better than nothing.

Loving the lumia, and the OS ,
    but i have one major gripe , the phone must be left on for the alarm to function ? Seriously thats a stupid thing to have to do, surely it wouldnt be too hard to allow this.
    I know you can turn on airplane mode etc etc, but surely it would use more battery than just turning off the phone for the night.

Loving the lumia, and the OS ,
    but i have one major gripe , the phone must be left on for the alarm to function ? Seriously thats a stupid thing to have to do, surely it wouldnt be too hard to allow this.
    I know you can turn on airplane mode etc etc, but surely it would use more battery than just turning off the phone for the night.

Since I got my first phone ever I have never bothered to switch the phone off for the night. If I want to save battery I pop it onto flight mode.

The only thing I miss from older Nokia's is that alarms used to work even if the phone battery went dead :(

Since I got my first phone ever I have never bothered to switch the phone off for the night. If I want to save battery I pop it onto flight mode.

The only thing I miss from older Nokia's is that alarms used to work even if the phone battery went dead :(
    Its just a habit thing really, but otherwise im enjoying the lumia very much .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

If that is all it's needed for it's ideal, I got my misses the pink one, at 129 it's a bargain. Easy enough to unlock or tell voda your travelling with work when buying it.

Thanks for the reply. Can get the pink one for €109 on Voda and they're doing some deal with a bluetooth kit free with Lumia phones so seems like a really good deal.

I know a few people with bill accounts on Voda so should be able to pick up a NAC handy enough hopefully.
    Cool it's a pity the cyan one is not on the networks here that's a really nice colour.

Yeah that one looks really good. It's a nice change though to see a bit of colour in the designs of the Lumia range.
    The new 820/920 have some funky colors too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement