Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia Lumia 800

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Just pressing the volume up or down button once will silence an incoming call.

No quick way to silence a game though, you just have to hold the volume down button until it gets all the way down. Some have their own mute options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭g0g

Ok thanks for that. Here's another one - how do you quickly close an app? The only thing I can figure is constantly pressing the back button til you get to home screen! I know if you press the start button you go back to homescreen, but if from there you press the back button you end up back in whatever app was open, thus suggesting to me that it was left running in the background. If I hold the back button then open programs appear up, but this seems to be for switching between them as opposed to closing them!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I just use the home button. Apps that are "running in the background" aren't really "running" in the same sense that they would be on a PC. Basically they are paused and their state is saved, when you hit the back button it's actually launching the app again and the reloading it's state.

So you don't have to worry about them slowing the phone or using up battery etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Just FYI - my post was totally sarcastic. I just don't understand why people get annoyed at having to use Zune to sync stuff to (and from) the phone. I get that using an android is easier as you can drag and drop from windows explorer, but there is much more to it than copying - Zune (and iTunes) sync the content, not just copy it
    Ah yes, such a useful feature that it has been killed off by WP8 in favour of the phone just being recognized as mass storage like most other devices :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

stevenmu wrote: »
    I just use the home button. Apps that are "running in the background" aren't really "running" in the same sense that they would be on a PC. Basically they are paused and their state is saved, when you hit the back button it's actually launching the app again and the reloading it's state.

So you don't have to worry about them slowing the phone or using up battery etc.
    Didn't know that - handy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Listen the Samsung S3 is the best phone at the top of the market, iphone is the safe choice however they are all 24 month contracts phones.

In your opinion. Other people have different opinions. I think the 5 is much better than an S3 (in my opinion)

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Fair enough, I just thing the iPhone5 is to expensive for what is an evolutionary phone not a revolution. While with the S3 you can see the vast improvement from the S2.

Back on topic its questionable to buy either on a 24 month contract with a min tariff of 45euro a month spend? That's why the Lumia 800 is such excellent value, and if you are smart you can keep your topup (with Three anyway) to 20euro lasting 2 months and on the second month buy the 5euro data topup. So 25euro spend over 2 months and you are no being a miser with the phone usage.

A lot of people get sucked on by the FREE iPhone on a 60 a month 2 year contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 TheDenominator

Heyo

So I'm considering buying this phone on prepay from Meteor, considering it's only €150 which seems like an insane deal for a phone that costs well over 400 with prepay on my current network, 3.

I'm just wondering, would it be much hassle to unlock the phone from Meteor pretty much straight after I get it & then get a microSim from 3 to use with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 TheDenominator

ALSO, I have a Macbook Pro, what's it like to use with Mac OS as opposed to a Windows PC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

ALSO, I have a Macbook Pro, what's it like to use with Mac OS as opposed to a Windows PC?

Unlocking them is a hassle. Chinesse shops cant do it or charge you approx 60 euros which is the exact same as online.

You have a Mac Connector for Windows Phone. You make a playlist on iTunes. Connector sync it. You can sync photos and update your phone and etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

Heyo

So I'm considering buying this phone on prepay from Meteor, considering it's only €150 which seems like an insane deal for a phone that costs well over 400 with prepay on my current network, 3.

I'm just wondering, would it be much hassle to unlock the phone from Meteor pretty much straight after I get it & then get a microSim from 3 to use with it?

Its €200 sim free from amazon, then you can use it on any network and dont have to deal with the hassle of unlocking it, if you've any warranty issues you deal with nokia ireland.

Have to say the Lumia 610 for 99euro PAYG on vodafone is a bit of a bargain aswell. Talking to a guy who moved from Old Nokia pushbutton phone and he loves it....I think the phone is fine as a first basic smart phone that works simply.

Screen not near a good as 800 however usability every bit their.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭tcjpmcd

My mam purchased this for my birthday. I only have to wait a few days but from reading up on reviews and such this seems like an excellent phone and at the price of €149.99? Yes please! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

So this is my replacement handset received 4 months ago. The other one was replaced because it started the charging problem problems and couldn't send or receive mms.

And here we go again.....i can't send or receive mms!

What a pita. Was told it was a probable aerial issue before, and again now? How unlucky could I be. Never once dropped this phone so can't be physical?

Oh and software is up to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I bought a lumia 800 as an Xmas present for my gf and she is switching from 3 to Vodafone. I choose the 21/12/2012 as the day to switch over. I received the new phone today and inserted the sim that came with it. My gf came home from work later and said her phone was not working due to no network being accessible. I called her number and the lumia 800 rang. I thought the new phone would not activate for another 3 weeks?

• Advertisement

Ok install network setup if not installed. If installed check you have the latest rev 2.6.0.1.

Then check the operator you can manually add APN for your operator to the handset. You will find those settings on a quick search around boards or the web.

Any apps anyone would like to recommend to me? What games? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Dub XV wrote: »
    So this is my replacement handset received 4 months ago. The other one was replaced because it started the charging problem problems and couldn't send or receive mms.

And here we go again.....i can't send or receive mms!

What a pita. Was told it was a probable aerial issue before, and again now? How unlucky could I be. Never once dropped this phone so can't be physical?

Oh and software is up to date.

I don't get the logic of it being a aerial issue.

The web suggests its a APN or network issue. Which I would have thought too. Anywhere I read a solution it was fixed by messing or changing the APN setting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Ok install network setup if not installed. If installed check you have the latest rev 2.6.0.1.

Then check the operator you can manually add APN for your operator to the handset. You will find those settings on a quick search around boards or the web.

Ok will do. Does this mean the old phone will be back working with the 3 network?

My apologies Tipsy McSwagger I was replying to Dub XV, timing on the posts. Your problem is network operator related and reversing that change could be problematic.

• Advertisement

Ok will do. Does this mean the old phone will be back working with the 3 network?

I think that was directed for another post. The folks at the shop or Vodafone probably forgot to set the date and did it earlier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

tcjpmcd wrote: »
    Any apps anyone would like to recommend to me? What games? :)

I just posted this list a couple of pages back but here it is again. There's a ton of good games I forgot but these are the ones I've currently got installed. They maynot be to your taste but worth trying :)

Apps
    Metrotube
    IMDB
    Endomondo (if you run)
    Flashlight XT
    Nokia Drive
    Netflix
    Goal.com
    Photosynth
    Photofunia
    RTE News Now
    TuneIn Radio
    TV Guide+
    Weave

Games
    ilomilo (best game ever)
    Jet Car Stunts
    iBlast moki
    Fragger
    Feed Me Oil
    Monster Island
    Lode Runner Classic (hours of old skool fin)
    Words by Post (better than Words with Friends)
    geoDefense
    Pac-Man CE DX
    Mirror's Edge
    Plants Vs Zombies
    Angry Birds

Thank you anti. How is the mirrors edge on it? And is the pac-man like the XBLA copy? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Landoflemon

My White Lumia 800 just stopped working yesterday, took it out of my pocket and the screen wouldn't light up, looked like it was switched off but couldn't switch it on again, tried charging it, holding every combination of physical buttons and still nothing 24 hours later so just handed it into the Nokia Care Centre in Limerick there, I'll update when the problem is resolved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

When I received the replacement handset it was sending and receiving mms. I haven't touched the settings so why would it just stop sending mms?

Thank you anti. How is the mirrors edge on it? And is the pac-man like the XBLA copy? :)

I love the Pac Man, its great. Mirrors Edge is free in the Nokia market place for all Nokia Lumia's. You can also download a Pac Man trial, so check them out and see what you think :D

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

Dub XV wrote: »
    When I received the replacement handset it was sending and receiving mms. I haven't touched the settings so why would it just stop sending mms?

This happened to me. The first Nokia Lumia I bought never sent mms, no matter what settings were put in and downloading the Network App. The shop then swapped phones for another Lumia. It worked for a day, then stopped working, then would work intermittently before stopping altogether. Phone was with Fonemenders for 3 weeks and at Level 2 they were unable to find a solution. I ended up changing the phone for a totally different make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭JCB1

Rumour is we're getting 7.8 on Wednesday...

Any update on this ? I cant find anything online today...

JCB1 wrote: »

Any update on this ? I cant find anything online today...

As previously I wouldn't dream of it again it was a blank rumour

As previously I wouldn't dream of it again it was a blank rumour

Yeah, this was a rumour started by wmpoweruser. Someone called lucky sent a tip saying it was coming out today and they just posted it. No one of importance has said it will be out today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭ieoin

anyone have an luck unlocking this?

ieoin wrote: »

Read the last couple of pages. If you do find a place, it costs around 60 euro and its not guaranteed.

Seems as Nokia or the networks are trying to make it very hard to unlock for whatever reason.

AntiVirus wrote: »
    I love the Pac Man, its great. Mirrors Edge is free in the Nokia market place for all Nokia Lumia's. You can also download a Pac Man trial, so check them out and see what you think :D

Free forever? If so that's awesome! and yeah will do :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

€2.99 it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

ieoin wrote: »

I unlocked mine with a code from the Vodafone website. No problems whatsoever. It's covered earlier in this thread...

It's a different method that that which most people have been accustomed to for the last few years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Yip, free forever!! :-D

adox wrote: »

€2.99 it seems.

Free for all Lumia owners in the Nokia Market place :)

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Yip, free forever!! :-D

That is pretty awesome. Nice little gift from Nokia then for my birthday which is in a few days! :rolleyes: :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kozak

Question on Lumia 800 offline GPS navigation.

Found this statement dated June 2012 on one of Nokia forums “Nokia is now saying it is IMPOSSIBLE to add offline maps to Lumia 800 and 900 but it will be added to Lumia 820 and 920.”

Is this still the case i.e. SatNav on Lumia 800 needs online connection?

kozak wrote: »
    Question on Lumia 800 offline GPS navigation.

Found this statement dated June 2012 on one of Nokia forums “Nokia is now saying it is IMPOSSIBLE to add offline maps to Lumia 800 and 900 but it will be added to Lumia 820 and 920.”

Is this still the case i.e. SatNav on Lumia 800 needs online connection?

You got that wrong, first thats not about the GPS navigation, thats about Nokia maps. You can download offline maps for Nokia Drive GPS navigation but you can't download offline maps from Nokia Maps (similar to Google Maps)

Nokia Drive is the best GPS navigation app for windows phone

Thanks for your reply.

My understanding (open to correction) from websites is that Nokia Drive can be used in offline mode but with limitations. For example, to re-calculate route Nokia Drive on Lumia 800 still needs online connection. Is this true ?

Also Nokia Drive accepts destination only as address (not tap on the map), is this correct?

Thanks

Thanks for your reply.

My understanding (open to correction) from websites is that Nokia Drive can be used in offline mode but with limitations. For example, to re-calculate route Nokia Drive on Lumia 800 still needs online connection. Is this true ?

Also Nokia Drive accepts destination only as address (not tap on the map), is this correct?

Thanks

kozak wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply.

Thanks

No Nokia drive works in offline mode and doesn't need to be online to re-calculate a route or any new routes. The online mode is used for extra search results and downloading map data. For example searching for "Barrys Pub", if it can't find it on the map it will ask you if you want to search online to find it. If you select yes it will try to find it's location, once it finds it it will download its GPS location to your Nokia Drive app and thats all. It's handy for finding place's that you don't know the full address.

You can't tap on the map to add an address or location. I'm hoping they might update Nokia Maps to link directly to Nokia Drive so if you find a place on the map you can select to use Nokia Drive to navigate to it.

What you can do is just find the location on Nokia Maps, copy the location name and paste it in to Nokia Drives destination. If you can find it on Nokia maps, Nokia Drive will be able to find it too.

Got an email from ************.ie today text below (price is 65euro which seems a bit steep especially for the 610 considering Vodafone are selling it for 99):

NEWS FLASH!!!!

NOKIA LUMIA NOW UNLOCKED!!

Nokia Lumia 610 Now unlocked
    Nokia Lumia 710 Now unlocked
    Nokia Lumia 800 Now unlocked

We can unlock from these Irish networks:
    E-Mobile
    O2
    Vodafone
    Three
    Meteor
    Tesco Mobile

How do i unlock my Phone?
    1. Visit our store
    2. Send it to our store
    3. Unlock it Online

More details here:
    http://www.************.ie/unlocking.html

• Advertisement

Boards blocked out the name g s m s o l u t i o n s . i e do not know why? Anyway that is the name of the crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

Boards blocked out the name g s m s o l u t i o n s . i e do not know why? Anyway that is the name of the crowd.

Because it's spam, I presume you didn't sign up for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Cheaper to sell the phone and buy a new one on the right network.

mrmeindl wrote: »
    Because it's spam, I presume you didn't sign up for it?

Used them before for a code so I assume I am on the mailing list. Anyway they are Irish based and have a premises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭ieoin

anyone have any idea how this unlock is done..very expensive it is

• Advertisement
Advertisement