Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor Hickey (14) and hit-and-run drivers

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The guy got years for the robbery he committed the following week and 20 months for killing a bit all to run concurrent.
    Absolute madness that a robbery was a more serious crime. For it to be concurrent really takes the biscuit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Yes that is a disgrace the law is an ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

what a disgrace.
    I drive past the place where it happened most days and it always brings a tear to my eye, being a father myself to 3 young children.

What kind of mickey mouse system have we got in this country?
    That poor child and his family, it must be heartbreaking to know that the culprit will walk away virtually scott free.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Heartbreaking. They said on the news that the maximum sentence could be 2 years for a hit and run? :confused: So if you want to kill someone hit them with your car and you'll be out in two years?

These concurrent sentences are a joke too, commit one crime and sure you may as well just go on a spree. Maddening.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Heartbreaking. They said on the news that the maximum sentence could be 2 years for a hit and run? :confused: So if you want to kill someone hit them with your car and you'll be out in two years?

The two years is for the act of leaving the scene of the accident. The accident itself is a different crime.

If you were to intentionally hit somebody with your car that would be straight murder, a different crime with different sentences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

These concurrent sentences are a joke too, commit one crime and sure you may as well just go on a spree. Maddening.
    Concurrent, unless you're importing garlic and declaring the container as apples...Then a consecutive sentence of 5years plus another one tagged on at the end is deemed more appropriate.
    The mind boggles at the imbalance in our judicial system, and the ironic injustice of it all :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Also, the guy got a 20 year driving ban.....

.....for someone who was driving with no insurance and no tax, yeah that will work.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Are you actually for serious?

A child died.

How could you possibly ever get any satisfaction out of your own life again after killing a child?

If it were me, I would quite willingly take a life sentence for this, in the hope that it might bring some peace to his family.

That's a bit simplistic though isn't it.

Now fair enough guilty or not you shouldn't ever leave the scene of the accident if only for the fact you might actually be able to save the life.

But what if you did - panicking or something, I mean it is an extreme situation after all - and on reflection you conclude it wasn't your fault and there was nothing you could have done to prevent this from happening?

Let's say hypothetically someone ran on purpose in front if your car and you just didn't look that very moment. And before anyone says anything, this stuff does happen. Seems a new scumbag game.
    And before someone says anything I'm talking a theoretical scenario here not relating to poor Conor at all.

So let's say someone runs stupidly or deliberately in front of your car and you ran that person over. You panick and flee the scene. Later you realize fk nobody would have believed me in the first place but now they defny won't.

Would you on reflection be unable to live with it or would you be saying what good is it me going into prison for god knows how long for something that really wasn't my fault?

Boskowski wrote: »
    That's a bit simplistic though isn't it.

Now fair enough guilty or not you shouldn't ever leave the scene of the accident if only for the fact you might actually be able to save the life.

But what if you did - panicking or something, I mean it is an extreme situation after all - and on reflection you conclude it wasn't your fault and there was nothing you could have done to prevent this from happening?

Let's say hypothetically someone ran on purpose in front if your car and you just didn't look that very moment. And before anyone says anything, this stuff does happen. Seems a new scumbag game.
    And before someone says anything I'm talking a theoretical scenario here not relating to poor Conor at all.

So let's say someone runs stupidly or deliberately in front of your car and you ran that person over. You panick and flee the scene. Later you realize fk nobody would have believed me in the first place but now they defny won't.

Would you on reflection be unable to live with it or would you be saying what good is it me going into prison for god knows how long for something that really wasn't my fault?

Thats just ridiculous.

A man who is driving a car with no insurance, is breaking the speed limit and drives through a red light at a pedestrian crossing......

.....and then he drives on at speed rather than trying to help the person he hit.

And you think that it was 'a moment of panic' that made him do this.

Did the moment of panic make him get an uninsured car, drive at speed and break a red light?

We arent talking about a hypothetical situation here, we are talking about an actual situation.

I'm not going to pass comment on the driver as my own belief is that drug addicts are wild and there is no accounting or logic for what they do. However this was a major crime, and there should have been a major punishment.

If it was my younger brother I would be absolutely sick at this sentence that the Irish state has decreed here. To be honest, I would leave the country.

The two years is for the act of leaving the scene of the accident. The accident itself is a different crime.

If you were to intentionally hit somebody with your car that would be straight murder, a different crime with different sentences.

I understand your point, but there is a big difference between someone commuting home from work and accidentally whacking someone who walks out in front of them....

.....and a guy who gets in an uninsured car, drives at speed through pedestrian streets and breaks a red pedestrian light, and then leaves the scene of the crime.....and was quite possibly high when driving, though we'll never know.

The latter situation to my mind is not much different to picking up a gun a closing your eyes and firing random bullets in every direction and if it hits someone and kills them saying "it was careless use of a gun, here's a 20 month sentence".

• Advertisement

Why would you bother bringing the case, sitting through the court sessions, the stress of it all......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Thats just ridiculous.

A man who is driving a car with no insurance, is breaking the speed limit and drives through a red light at a pedestrian crossing......

.....and then he drives on at speed rather than trying to help the person he hit.

And you think that it was 'a moment of panic' that made him do this.

Did the moment of panic make him get an uninsured car, drive at speed and break a red light?

We arent talking about a hypothetical situation here, we are talking about an actual situation.

I'm not going to pass comment on the driver as my own belief is that drug addicts are wild and there is no accounting or logic for what they do. However this was a major crime, and there should have been a major punishment.

If it was my younger brother I would be absolutely sick at this sentence that the Irish state has decreed here. To be honest, I would leave the country.

Sorry the question was how could you ever live with the fact a child died. I assumed that was a general question rather than the actual case at hand. Going over my post it seems pretty obvious "Let's say hypothetically someone ran on purpose in front if your car..."

I don't think anyone who did all those things you described cares much anyway.

Advertisement