Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird GPS problem on meteor

Options
  • 10-12-2011 3:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

I have been having gps problems with my new xperia play.
    I switched in a o2 sim today and gps works perfect.
    I have replicated this on 2 phones and gps will work when the o2 sim is in and not when the meteor sim is in.
    I can make and recieve texts and calls no problem on the meteor sim

I didn't know the sim could have this much effect on gps

Should I just go to meteor and ask for a new sim?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

having the same problem on emobile on my desire s and galaxy nexus. I think its a problem with their cells not able to triangulate your position. So it just defaults to nearest cell/tower position

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I can get a gps signal with no sim inserted, although it can be slow to lock on.
    But it will just not lock on if I am connected to meteor :(

Do emobile use meteor masts?

emobile - meteor same company, same masts. And you have tried it out doors? get one of those basic gps programs to see if its getting satellites etc.
    Definitely the same issue because I imported from o2 to emobile and using the same phone (Desire s)

Yeah I have tried outside with no luck.
    I can even get a lock in doors with no sim but not if I'm connected to a meteor mast.
    Does your gps work with no sim in?

I haven't tried with out sim

Ah I see what going on, head over to settings, then location and make sure the box is ticked for using gps (when you have your sim inserted)

I'm guessing its defaulting to on when the sim is removed and turning off when you put the sim back so its only relying on masts and data for a location

D

• Advertisement

I have had Use GPS Satellites enabled the whole time and use wireless networks unchecked.
    Anything else I can try?

damn, thought that was it.

Did you download one of those gps tests:
    https://market.android.com/details?id=com.chartcross.gpstest&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5jaGFydGNyb3NzLmdwc3Rlc3QiXQ..

leave it on the window for 30mins and see what satellites it tracks, might just need an kick start to get going!

Advertisement