Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IGN's Top 100 Video Game Moments

Options
  • 10-12-2011 4:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,181 ✭✭✭✭

What are the moments that define your experience of a game, the ones that live on in the memory years later? What are the things that come to mind when you’re asked why you play video games in the first place? These are the questions we asked ourselves when we began to compile the Top 100 Gaming Moments. This list is the product of months of work, much deliberation, and thousands of hours of gaming experience over more than 30 years.

We’ve selected these moments based on a lot of things: their cultural relevance, their memorability, their significance to gaming, and - of course - how much fun they gave us. They come from multi-million selling successes, obscure Japanese oddities and everything inbetween and span just over three decades of gaming history. Some are from cast-iron classics, some from less famous and less accomplished titles.

Of course, some games have a bunch of memorable moments, so we’ve whittled it down to one per game. We’ve also tried to include as broad and varied a selection of experiences as possible to fairly represent gaming in all its wild diversity. Looking over this list, we hope you’ll be reminded why you love video games – just like we were whilst we were making it.

http://ie.ign.com/top/video-game-moments

The first one that popped into my head was (Spoiler for Red Dead Redemption)
    John Marston's last stand
    and I wondered if it made the list, it did, at number
    . I thought it might have been a little higher but fair enough.

Kind of surprised that (Spoiler for MGS4)
    the Metal Gear Ray vs Rex fight from MGS4 or Solid Snake's and Liquid Ocelot's final battle weren't included.

I can't think of any glaring omissions but it's late so maybe I'll remember a couple tomorrow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

spoilers work better when you tell people what the spoiler is for :pac:

a few of mine would be (no spoilers)

the opening to Half Life.
    Seeing Rapture for the first time.
    the giant ladder in MGS3, its utterly ludirous but brilliant.
    playing Mario 64 for the first time and feeling what true 3d controls were.
    pretty much the entirety of the God of War trilogy, Pandoras temple, the Minotaur fight, the island of creation in GOW2, fighting Kronos in the 3rd game, epic in every sense of the word.
    All Ghillied Up in COD4, best level in any COD game.
    Still Alive :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

J. Marston wrote: »
    Kind of surprised that
    the Metal Gear Ray vs Rex fight from MGS4 or Solid Snake's and Liquid Ocelot's final battle weren't included.

I'm not, they were terrible boss fights and just nostalgia pandering.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm surprised that i've only played 48 of those games!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

number 87

ending of "the darkness". some emotional stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

82 fallout 2 - New reno - agree, new vegas looks like pile of **** compared to New reno... they even steal your car, while you out doing drugs,woman and vodka...

76 - vice city - soooooo true.

and then i stoped watching it as all of them became spoilers for myself..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

55 for me as I didn't have consoles growing up only zx's and Amigas so I didn't get to play 70 million versions of Zelda ;)

I'm slowly making my way through this, but can anyone tell me if
    Dom's Death from Gears of War 3
    gets mentioned?

Huzzah! Insult Sword Fighting from Monkey Island is at #88!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nope it doesn't get mentioned. DOn't think it should either. It was a bit melodramatic and I think Gears of War 2's big shock moment deserves a mention before it and even that didn't get it.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Nope it doesn't get mentioned. DOn't think it should either. It was a bit melodramatic and I think Gears of War 2's big shock moment deserves a mention before it and even that didn't get it.

Oh I completely agree, I guess what made it so impressive for me was that
    it was like it was tying everything up, to an extent, with the music used in the very first trailer and then in the final game, it was a nice touch
    . Admittedly, the rest of the game was a bit of a letdown afterwards. But yes, the shock moment from GoW2
    I assume we're referring to Dom finding Maria?
    was just gorgeous and so sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

I only had 27, very nintendo heavy and I was a sega boy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

I'm slowly making my way through this, but can anyone tell me if
    Dom's Death from Gears of War 3
    gets mentioned?

Huzzah! Insult Sword Fighting from Monkey Island is at #88!

It'd really help if you mention what game you are spoiling before you put the spoilers on.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I don't know if it appeared between 100-51, I only read top 50, but I didn't see Madison's first scene from Heavy Rain, which I thought was super intense and genuinely scary.

Yuna's first sending in FFX was pretty spectacular as well

I don't know if it appeared between 100-51, I only read top 50, but I didn't see Madison's first scene from Heavy Rain, which I thought was super intense and genuinely scary.

Yuna's first sending in FFX was pretty spectacular as well

I haven't played Heavy Rain, but I do remember that
    the section where you have to cut off your own finger
    does pop up in it.

Just finished it there, somewhat surprised that the Zero G segments from Dead Space 1/2 didn't crop up in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Also only read the top 50 but no 'Would you kindly'?

Harps wrote: »

I think the moment when
    you first see Rapture
    from Bioshock is at #10, which was more deserving I think.

It was also retarded since it had nothing to do with the plot and was an excuse for boobies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 scum01

pretty disappointed Halo: Reach's ending wasnt in there! I nearly cried playing it!

I was still face palming from all the retconning at the end of Reach.

If there's one moment I'd like included it was the fifth stage boss in Rocket Knight Adventures. If anyone has played that on the megadrive they'd understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Harps wrote: »
    They went with the shodan reveal and gave a mention to bioshock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Deadly premonition is there! Fantastic. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Probably the first time I've agreed with their #1 pick in a list.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Afraid to read the list in case theres moments from games I haven't played.

noodler wrote: »
    Afraid to read the list in case theres moments from games I haven't played.

There are some spoilers so be careful. It would have been better if they had the name of the game in bigger writing so you would know to avoid them.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

krudler nice choices, I forgot that excellent MGS3 ladder part! So many memorable scenes in that game/movie ;)

As for RDR, I'd rate
    entering mexico
    higher than
    that climactic death

A great moment for me is the start of Morrowind, hopping off the boat after Jiub there scowling in your face to a sunny seaside little hamlet, crazy flying jellyfish yokes floating around, and the silt strider in the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

It was also retarded since it had nothing to do with the plot and was an excuse for boobies.

In Retr0spect only, at the time we didn't know how pointless it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

IGN ♥ Nintendo.

You'll find a big nintendo bias in America. While we were messing with tapes decks on our C64 or Speccie the yanks were obsessed with nintendo which wasn't a big thing at all here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I was still face palming from all the retconning at the end of Reach.

If there's one moment I'd like included it was the fifth stage boss in Rocket Knight Adventures. If anyone has played that on the megadrive they'd understand.

many class moments in RKA, i had an idea what you were on about and was proven right thanks to Youtube,(its been a long time!) pretty cool. did gunstar heroes make the list, especially Seven Force...

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    did gunstar heroes make the list, especially Seven Force...

It didn't, it's criminal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

ah come on, one of the best moments from the 16-bit era doesnt make it and multiple Nintndo and in particular, Zelda. I checked out 1-60, a lot of the higher up moments are fairly dead-on. However, I do feel that Shadow Of The Colossus had better moments than the first colossi, mostly towards the end, wont ruin anything. Ico's ending could be up there.

Also, the GTA4 3 leaf clover mission shouldnt even be in the top 100, much better GTA moments than that and lots of them

Advertisement