Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reputable small breed dog

• 10-12-2011 4:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi

I am looking to buy a small breed dog, after reading the guide to buy a puppy on here I am concerned about where to buy. I was looking on done deal etc, but am pretty sure I would probably be buying from a puppy farm, I am not happy about funding this type of venture.

We live in an apartment, so I am really looking for some type of dog which is quite small (carryable downstairs) I always owned dogs as a younger person, but haven't owned one for the last 7/8 years. But we would not be novice dog owners so have a clear idea of what we would be getting into, I would ideally be looking for a puppy that would be good with small children.

Does anyone know of any small breed dogs in the dublin area, I am not fussed about being a pure bread or kennell club registered as long as he or she is a good family pet we would be happy.

Any info of local breeders etc would be appreciated around the Dublin area. (or surrounds) thx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

You'd be amazed how big a dog you can comfortably fit in an apartment (some people swear by greyhounds, for example), and any dog would be able to walk downstairs. I'd generally recommend a medium sized breed for very young children as very small dogs are easily accidentally hurt.

Check out local rescues. They often have puppies and young dogs who are there through no fault of their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

As above poster said please consider adopting from a local rescue. They would be more than happy to help you find a dog to suit your situation.

You may have to wait till after xmas though. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

If you are looking for a dog good with children. you would be much better off to go to a rescue that has dogs in foster with families that have children.
    Some rescues have stopped rehoming for christmas, but some are still rehoming for another bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭bernyh

thanks for the replies and information.

I actually had a greyhound for nearly 16 years so I know they are great pets, ours was the most lovable animal ever, but I really have my heart set on a small dog as I want to be able to take it mostly everywhere with me and I think this would be much harder with a larger dog.

We're going to have a look at the rescue centres after christmas as we're not looking for the dog as a christmas present or anything like that, I've been thinking about it for a long time now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

How small are you thinking?

Jack Russells are fantastic pets, they are full of energy and easy to maintain or Maltese terriers are great too, a bit lazy I found, but good company.

You really should try to adopt if at all possible, especially if pedigree and IKC registry isn't an issue, there are so many animals just waiting for a loving warm home, so please at least visit one before buying a pup, keep your options open, at the end of the day the decision is ultimately yours.

As for finding breeders, the puppy mill sticky is heartbreaking, but it is accurate, go and visit the puppy's parents, ask for history (documented) grandparents,parents, genetic, breed specific, and hip scoring, you don't want a pup that will have crippling pain and €xxxx of vet bills.
    If the breeder can't or won't produce the info say thanks for your time and get the hell outta there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

how about a staffie, great with kids. good size for your needs and i found respond well to training. but like with any dog would still have to be watched closely around kids thats ANY DOG!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Definetly try the rescue route first.

If you do deceide to buy then what about a Papillon they're a great little dog, and do need their daily walk but on a cold miserable day are happy to lounge about and have a duvet day with you. They are full of beans and clever and like with any toy breed avoid babying them. You'd have to be very vigilant seeking out a reputable breeder so it's important to research the breed etc.if you are interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

+ a million on the rescue route to find a dog - so many great dogs looking for homes that would make perfect pets if given the chance.

Keep an eye out after Christmas, you would be surprised that as early as February unwanted "Christmas presents" start appearing in pounds and rescues (madness!) and the only reason they are there is because someone didn't think the purchase through. Pure breeds, mixed breeds, big, medium, small, young, old(er)... they are all there, you just have to find the right one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

pokertalk wrote: »
    how about a staffie, great with kids. good size for your needs and i found respond well to training. but like with any dog would still have to be watched closely around kids thats ANY DOG!

+1

a very small breed might not be the best with children as they are easily hurt and sometimes kids can be a little too rough with them and accidents can happen.

for a family in an apartment i'd definitly recommend a small staffie. a 2/3 year old would be perfect. they fit into apartment living perfectly as they're happy on the couch once they get a good daily walk and they're so eager to please that basic training is very simple.

currently my girl is snoozing on the couch or watching some cartoons, she's been up since 10am, had a quick pee outside and will happily sit on the couch without a sound until we go walking at 1pm. she also comes to work with me and will happily sit by my side as i work as long as she has a chew toy beside her and gets a quick chin tickle every now and again.

they're built like tanks and have very few medical conditions.

they're also amazing with kids. my girl has a totally differant approach to my 10 year old son than she does with me. with me she has no problem getting rowdy and jumping on me when we play fight. with my son she becomes super submissive and will just roll around while he plays with her, she's also like this with my mother when we go visit. this wasnt something i trained into her, she just seems to know who she can be rough with and who to be gentle with. but as stated above NO breed should ever by left alone with young children.

most shelters will have a few staffies needing homes and the good shelters will take your living and family situation into account before recommending one to you. i was advised against 2 differant staffies by the shelter (dspca) because of their age, temperment and my living situation. i have to say they got it spot on when they recommended dolly to me.

dolly - she's actually a fair bit smaller than she looks here. the camera angle turned her into a giant staffie!!!
    img11810.jpg

imagine waking up to a gorgeous face like one of these everyday! :D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTicZ473-7msd9I0r_a0FbflBLqIEc4vqNKJTYRC1_XTLFsII8Z
    a_Bells_B_day___Beau_training030.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-fejFn5Pc52LU2w5HLXqNz4iYtTz6v_lDqZaLBCSZuJrTGBnV

the only issue with a staffie is that they are on the restricted breeds list and need to be kept on a lead and muzzled in public places.

but to be honest, 95% of people realise that they have no place on that restricted list as they are the most loveable soft dog you could own. my parents already owned a bichon so my mother was very very wary of meeting a staffie. now the two dogs sandwich her and snuggle up to her on the couch!

good luck on whatever breed you choose :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Sounds like your looking for a toy breed like a Yorkshire Terrier or miniature Yorkshire. I'd also check whether your allowed keep a pet in your complex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

+1 on the staffie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I have two yorkies & a staffy cross. Would never recommend yorkies or any other small/toy breed around kids. Staffies are great, strong dog so less likely to get pissed off of kids pulling out of them.

I wouldnt recommend any small dog around kids unsupervised. To suggest Yorkies are some kind of danger is ridiculous. Are you honestly saying they would do more damage than a Staffy. All kids should be supervised when with dogs.

Also the op asked for a dog that could be carried. I doubt you would carry a Staffy. Rather than recommending a dog breed you have an affinity for I'd recommend a toy breed. I'd personally wouldn't keep one but for an apartment they are probably better suited.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Also the op asked for a dog that could be carried. I doubt you would carry a Staffy. Rather than recommending a dog breed you have an affinity for I'd recommend a toy breed. I'd personally wouldn't keep one but for an apartment they are probably better suited.

thats why i recommended a small staffy. and size shouldnt be number 1 consideration. that comes second to the fact that the OP has kids and staffies have a proven track record within family set-ups.

anyway, a 14" 12/14kg staffy bitch is a very small dog.

and its not about the damage a dog could do. deed not breed.

You would honestly carry a 14kg dog up and down a stairs as was requested by the OP?

In response to the damage which could be afflicted that is in response to not recommending a Yorkie. Any small dog is capable of bitting if left with a child unsupervised. Most people would agree with that. But to suggest that a Yorkie is unsuitable but a Staffy is....well I don't agree. Both dogs are good with kids once supervised.

I prefer big dogs but I'm not going to recommend one because the OP has specifically asked for a suitable small dog which can be carried.

yes a 14kg staffiue could easily be carried by a normal sized healthy person. my girl is 20kg and i can carry her easily if need be.

the OP hasnt asked specifically about "toy" breeds, OP asked about small breeds. the staffie is considered small/medium depending on the breeding.

ive been around yorkie's, ****z, bichons etc but i wouldnt recommend any of them over a staffie to be around children. not because they may get aggresive (most wont) but because children are generally hyper and mental and need a dog they can hang out of. if a 6 year old hangs out of a toy breed the dog is going to get hurt. there's no escaping that fact.

Fair enough. A Yorkie is about 4-5 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Shandy1

Hi there

I have a gorgeous chihuaha / jack russell mix that i got from the ISPCA headquarters in Keenagh Longford earlier this year and even though i have a garden she would suit living in an apartment..i know that the IPSCA centre is a good distance from Dublin, but it might be no harm in checking your local rescue centres as many of them would have small dogs looking for loving homes?Might be no harm checking them out instead of going down the done deal route as like you i would be nervous that it would be a puppy farm also, and god knows they are hellish places for animals.
    Hope you find the perfect little pet :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

I always had jack russels as a very small child, they were always calm with me and other kids, none of them were ever aggresive with us. And I have one now after not having a JRT for about 10 years and shes just fantastic with babies and little kids, anytime they come over she rolls over for a tummy rub :) so I would definetly recommend a Jack russel. They are definetly a dog that needs to get out and about each day for a walk/run and are happy to be couch potatoes and watch a movie with you :) They will also let you know if there is somebody outside that shouldn't be there. Also rescue centres are always full to the brim with them.

Also had one cairn terrier cross who was great with kids and adults alike. But like everyone else has said Kids just need to be shown how to be gentle when holding/petting the dog and shouldn't be left un-supervised

• Advertisement

No matter what dog you get it all depends on the kids and the supervision and the training whether it's a pup or a dog already used to kids it's a new situation for the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭crally

hi so many people are rehoming their dogs, i got a 3 yr old that had been brought up with kids. i would avoid a pup as they cannot be left alone and will have to go through the peeing and eating everything stage. http://petsireland.invisionzone.com/ have a list of dogs being rehomed by their owners. Phone your local rescue as they may know of owners needing to rehome. Do not do as a lot of people do, meet someone in a car park and take the dog, a person i know did this, the dog cost her hundred on vet bills and was dead before it was 3 months old. NO TO PUPPY FARMING>>>>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

OP as you have previously have had experience of greyhounds what about a whippet. They are a nice sized dog, albeit not handbag size, and would work well in an apartment. There is also a whippet rescue if you are interested in going the rescue route rather than buying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

a westie

Inexile has a good point a whippet might suit you they are light enough to be carried up stairs etc. is whippet rescue in Ireland still around perhaps try them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭whippetgood

loads of rescue dogs looking for new homes . defo worth a look .

Advertisement