Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone to Fit a Radon Barrier in New house

Options
  • 10-12-2011 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I've been let down by a guy that was ment to fit a radon barrier to a new house. Does anyone know anyone in Waterford that can do the job? Need to get it done a.s.a.p. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

You could try these, chaps name is Tommy Power.

Radon Barrier Installation

Category:Home HelpBuilders Builders [Edit]
    Knockenduff
    Tramore, Co. Waterford
    (051) 386603

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 TheOldSeaDog

to my knowmledge a radon barrier has to be installed before the floor slab is poured. If you builders did not install one, and cast the floor directly on the insulation and infill, your going to have mega dampness problems also.
    I imagine to retro fit a membrane you'd have to break out the floor and redo it. Unless of course there is some other system of applying a barrier of some sort on top of the slab. In any case the builder who failed ot do the work is quite obviously a chancer so I strongly recommend you report hime to the Gardai, the Dept of Environment Heritage and Local government and the Revenue Commissioners also should pay him a little visit. I have no time for cowboys like this and would love them to be fúcked up the arse by revenue.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

A radon barrier shouldn't be connected with dampness, as that's not its purpose. Likewise, a radon barrier is only needed in areas of high radon, otherwise a standby radon sump is required.

Might be mistaken on the above, it was several years ago I did a small report on radon so going by memory.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 TheOldSeaDog

The radon barrier repaced the old practice of intsalling polythene samp proof membrane. As such the radon bariier serves two purposes now - it keeps out radon as the name suggests, but it also keeps out the dampness.

On a side note, if a builder was so bad as to leave out the RB/DPM how can one be sure that he even installed the insulation under the floor. It's out of sight and out of mind so i would not put it past him the bugger. Its something the op should check. Drill a 1" hole in the slab to cofirm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

This should be helpful http://www.rpii.ie/getdoc/7f93a9df-1492-4588-b41d-cd18f0806339/Protecting-your-home-from-Radon.aspx

Has a list of companies that offer a radon remediation service

Found this on the list

M.O’Doherty Builders Ltd.
    Williamstown
    Co. Waterford
    Tel: 051 875227
    Fax: 051 875228
    Mobile: 087 2603031
    Email: ivan@odohertybuilders.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement