Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smartphone advice

Options
  • 10-12-2011 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I was thinking of getting a smartphone. I want it to stick to open standards as much as possible. So don't want IPhone. Would also like a normal USB connection, normal 3.5 mm headphone socket (and even a non proprierty charger if that's possible) and a decent battery. Also a really important thing for me is durability. I break everything. So want something that can take a knock. Usability is also important. I don't want to be able to navigate files easily. Blackberry is also out because I hate those little keys. Nokias are out as I have already broken 3 of them.

Any advice?

Also does anyone have a smartphone and is still just using prepay? I am on prepay on the moment and it's cheap. Would like to keep it that way!

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Galaxy S II has something called Gorrilla Glass. Helps prevent scratches.

I'd get some phone insurance on your home insurance if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

MarkR wrote: »
    Galaxy S II has something called Gorrilla Glass. Helps prevent scratches.

I'd get some phone insurance on your home insurance if possible.

Thanks. What do you use to manage your MP3 on your PC and then to sync up with your Galaxy?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Hi,
    I was thinking of getting a smartphone. I want it to stick to open standards as much as possible. So don't want IPhone. Would also like a normal USB connection, normal 3.5 mm headphone socket (and even a non proprierty charger if that's possible) and a decent battery. Also a really important thing for me is durability. I break everything. So want something that can take a knock. Usability is also important. I don't want to be able to navigate files easily. Blackberry is also out because I hate those little keys. Nokias are out as I have already broken 3 of them.

Any advice?

Also does anyone have a smartphone and is still just using prepay? I am on prepay on the moment and it's cheap. Would like to keep it that way!

Thanks.

Advice? Stay away from smartphones.....:pac:

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Thanks. What do you use to manage your MP3 on your PC and then to sync up with your Galaxy?

Thanks.

My music usually gets played on my car stereo. Syncing can be done either wirelessly or with a data cable.

Don't mind the quote about prepay. Once you get a plan to suit you, you'll pay less then prepay.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The windows phones are all standardised in that they all must have a usb plug that's a charger which is handy but I think they're the only ones making that demand.

I can't imagine that a prepay smartphone is going to be cheaper in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Nokias are out as I have already broken 3 of them.

Can I ask what ones?

Yes, thousands of people using smartphones on prepay plans. All networks are catering for data in their plans. If you post more info on your calls, text and data usage and to what networks you will get feedback on most suitable plan for you

Advertisement