Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

c - 13 wrote: »
    Am I the only guy who has my real height up so ? :p

Just checked my height and I am the height stated 5"8. Maybe its why no responses so far all the girls are assuming I am only 5"6:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

awec wrote: »
    Oh err missus. :pac:

I have a friend who refuses to let his fiance wear heels. :pac:

And she listens to him? Wouldn't stand for that myself :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

Itwasntme. wrote: »
    :pac::pac::pac: I'm not sure why but the frustration in this just cracked me up. Anyway, take heart- KingTut, Michael C and a host of others all met people they seem to like who exceeded their expectations so there's hope for you. You just need to go out and buy bucket loads of patience is all. :)

Glad you're amused.

Being lied to and dishonesty are my two pet hates. That's in my profile. We all know the ratio of replies guys get to messages, then dates are less again, and then liars.

I was glad to hear the success stories, best of luck guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Misticles wrote: »
    I'm 5'5 and love tall men! I wouldn't go for someone who is the same height or shorter.

Yeah, I was adamant I wouldn't date a guy smaller than me but my date from the weekend is a teeny bit smaller than me (which I kinda expected as I think I have been underestimating my height!) and shock horror, it doesn't bother me. :) I wasn't wearing heels though - which I'll be massif in!
    johnr1 wrote: »
    No, I've my real height up too, 5'10, along with my real figure description, which is athletic, along with the fact that I used to be married.

Obviously I'm a short fat axe murderer if you allow for a bit of exaggeration. :rolleyes:

It's becoming obvious that lots/most people lie on their profiles about height, weight, marital status, Job, whatever, along with putting up the one photo ever taken in their lives in which they don't look like a mutant.

I had a date last week with a single mom, who turns out to have a husband who is "moving out soon", although I'd bet he's not aware of this. :eek: This after one the week before with a slim figure who's about a size 22-24. :mad:

What hope is there for those of us who actually shock, horror, tell the fcuking truth !:confused:

My finger is hovering over the delete button.

This makes me sad. I have met you at previous tGC beers and you are a lovely guy to talk to. (And quite handsome ladies! ;) ) It is just horrible to think people are using these sites for affairs and all this lying. Especially when there are (as seen in this thread) lots of genuine people using it. Ruining it for every body else. :mad:

I don't really know what to say to other than keep on truckin. But I can see how frustrating it is for you.
    I really don't get why people lie about their height/weight/age/whatever on these sites. I mean, if you're gonna meet up with someone eventually what's the point? They'll see you anyway... :confused:

They are totally deluded. Wasting their own and other peoples time. Wish they'd bog off!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I've changed mine from slim to average to be on the safe side! I've also reduced my height as 2 friends say I'm only 5'5 :( My pictures are 1 year old but I haven't changed and its full length and then a head shot from last month. Liars wreck my head, don't waste my time...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

Larianne wrote: »
    This makes me sad. I have met you at previous tGC beers and you are a lovely guy to talk to. (And quite handsome ladies! ;) ) It is just horrible to think people are using these sites for affairs and all this lying. Especially when there are (as seen in this thread) lots of genuine people using it. Ruining it for every body else. :mad:

I don't really know what to say to other than keep on truckin. But I can see how frustrating it is for you.

Awww, thanks Hun. :o:o

I think maybe it's just not for me, - in about 3 years of dabbling, I've never gone past a second date with anyone from a dating site, whereas, in real life I've met, and been in relationships with three or four women.

I know a few people who did Internet dating in the past, but wouldn't again as it didn't suit them, and maybe I'm just another.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

I've met a few women who claim to have athletic/thin bodies when realistically they're far from it. But then again I'm guessing guys could do the same?

A lot of guys describe them selfs as very attractive when they are just about average! I suppose peoples opinions of them selfs are not what other people see/think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

mood wrote: »
    A lot of guys describe them selfs as very attractive when they are just about average! I suppose peoples opinions of them selfs are not what other people see/think.

Definitely. I am constantly amused by the 'attractive' self descriptions. Still, fair play to them- no point in having a low self esteem if you can avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

mood wrote: »

A quote from my wise old Da that can be taken either way - "you never see yourself the way other people see you". Old school psychology ftw! What I always took from it was it's pointless worrying about what other people think of you, once you're not being a dick it's beyond your control.

Had a date a few weeks back that went well but no chemistry and kind of left it hang, I didn't get in touch with her and she didn't make contact. Was promptly deleted from her friends list on FB! Looking back I think it was a good thing as there was a lot of text messaging pretty quickly after numbers were exchanged.

SO a few days ago I sent mails to 2 girls I found really attractive, both read/deleted and no reply...grrr :D. Onwards and upwards, 3 more mails sent tonight, hopefully will get a reply from at least one of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

I dont lie about my height I see it as a benifit, less chance of getting hit by lightning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

KTRIC wrote: »
    Why would you limit the height to just 6ft ?

Not limited to 6 foot totally. 6 Foot aprox or around like 6 foot, 6 foot 1 or 2 like. Any taller he be too tall for me to reach lol or it prove awkward for him unless I wore heels or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Mines also real , I'm 6ft 4 myself but I really like small women, might be a turn off I think.

To be honest yes its true the neck-ache for both parties could be an issue but for that reason I limit the height but I still wouldn't let it get in the way of me giving a guy a chance if he more than 6 foot like generally 6 foot 1 or 2 be fine but to 3 or 4 be ok anything more I be like looking up a bit!?;)

But anything less than 5 foot 6 or too close to my height I be banging our heads and teeth and it not a nice experience when it comes to kissing and dancing stuff that's from experience so prefer taller guys for that reason.

Though every guy is different some are into petite girls or tall girls or in between height. That's fine. Its fine too if a girl is into guys of certain height too cause it works for her but I suppose ya cannot control who you fancy or when a connection is made that it eventually blossoms I guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

I like my men to be taller than me.. I'm 5'6"

But I wouldn't rule out someone who isn't that tall. Depends on the guy.

I'm currently chatting to three potential dates :-)

All showing promise so far :-)

I know folks always mention the read/deleted, I've done that to a fair few but only the ones who open with "Hi Sexy" just couldn't be arsed answering them.

But I do answer anyone that sends a half decent mail, even if they are not my type I tend to try and be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭red_diesel

red_diesel wrote: »
    My tuppence worth. I have tried the online dating (POF) thing the last month or so. Put some pics up, followed all the rules, pics of me smiling having fun etc. Wrote bio etc. I message all girls I was interested in. I didn't copy and paste, I wrote each individually. From maybe 30 messages i got 2 replies. Now the most annoying aspect is that most of the girls I messaged didn't even look at my profile! I'm mid 30's and messaging mainly girls between 28-34. I know I'm no ugly duckling either!

Contrast this with the bar scene. I know if I go out I will chat to some girls or at least they will give me a chance! The reason I turned to online dating is that after I broke up with my girlfriend I found all my friends settled so getting someone to go out with was hard. However I don't care any more. I'm hitting the town solo. Anything is better than the barren landscape that is POF.

What I did try and did enjoy was speed dating. For alot of people this means leaving their comfort zone and getting out and meeting real people. You have to make the effort and talk to people. I found I got way more correspondence from people I met speed dating than from POF.

Update: Stuck with it, managed to get chatting to a few people. Met a girl tonight. Had very low expectations but actually really like the girl! Lovely, down to earth girl and I felt there was a spark. Provisionally arranged to meet next week. Fingers crossed.
    Disregard my earlier rant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Am I the only one that thinks OKC is a rather more educated base of people compared to POF?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

That_Guy wrote: »
    Am I the only one that thinks OKC is a rather more educated base of people compared to POF?

Yes but this is offset by the fact there is only 12 people on OKC

Yes but this is offset by the fact there is only 12 people on OKC

SO true! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

About the height thing, I don't get why lads would lie about this, I mean it's going to be instantly obvious when you meet up with someone ... it's not exactly like it's something you can change or hide!

About the weight ... I have average down for my weight, I'm not overweight but I'm not skinny either! Again I don't see the point in lying!

My main profile photo is one which was taken when I was hungover and not wearing any makeup! I don't think it's hideous or anything, but I think it's a pretty realistic photo, it's just what I look like. I'd much rather if a guy was nicely surprised when he saw me, when I'm all nicely dressed up with makeup etc, than if I'd put up a photo of me when I was a hot skinny little 18 year old (God, if only I'd realised how hot and skinny I was back then!! :pac: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

About the height thing, I don't get why lads would lie about this, I mean it's going to be instantly obvious when you meet up with someone ... it's not exactly like it's something you can change or hide!

About the weight ... I have average down for my weight, I'm not overweight but I'm not skinny either! Again I don't see the point in lying!

My main profile photo is one which was taken when I was hungover and not wearing any makeup! I don't think it's hideous or anything, but I think it's a pretty realistic photo, it's just what I look like. I'd much rather if a guy was nicely surprised when he saw me, when I'm all nicely dressed up with makeup etc, than if I'd put up a photo of me when I was a hot skinny little 18 year old (God, if only I'd realised how hot and skinny I was back then!! :pac: )

You were comparing yourself to your peers at the time. There's something to be said for people who don't give a toss about what people will think about them and put down 'very attractive' in their self descriptions. At least they realise that they are 'hot and skinny' when it counts. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 DwightShrute

Is OKC really that quiet? And POF sounds like it's full of pervs and illiterate (is that, er, spelt right?) scroats.

I imagine the best halfway houses are the pay-sites, match affinity/match.com?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

two months in with my GF that I met on POF. Delighted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭hollee

johnr1 wrote: »
    Awww, thanks Hun. :o:o

I think maybe it's just not for me, - in about 3 years of dabbling, I've never gone past a second date with anyone from a dating site, whereas, in real life I've met, and been in relationships with three or four women.

I know a few people who did Internet dating in the past, but wouldn't again as it didn't suit them, and maybe I'm just another.

I dabbled for three years as well, some really bad dates, some good and some where you were just sorry there wasn't any spark. Yes there were lots of overestimation of heights and underestimation of age and sometimes weight but I kept going back to it. Met some really lovely people, there are very decent genuine guys and gals out there. Just over a year ago I met someone special, and yes it was online. I can honestly say Ive never been as happy. I always equated internet dating to shopping in TK Maxx, you might have to go through alot of tat before you discover a hidden gem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

argosy2006, 2 posts of yours have been deleted.

cop on and don't post in that manner again or you will be banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Leaving the rod out and waiting for a bite is one of the best courses of action for guys as far as I can see. Just got a message from a lovely girl last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Havent been online for a while actually - really cant be bothered lol. As for height - Im 5 ft 2 so most men are taller than me - I tended not to look at the height - I do now after having a couple of dates shorter than me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Dovies wrote: »
    Havent been online for a while actually - really cant be bothered lol. As for height - Im 5 ft 2 so most men are taller than me - I tended not to look at the height - I do now after having a couple of dates shorter than me!

Change your location to anything other than "The Shire" and you could easily remedy that :D

Leaving the rod out and waiting for a bite is one of the best courses of action for guys as far as I can see. Just got a message from a lovely girl last night.

heehee.

• Administrators Posts: 53,839 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Leaving the rod out and waiting for a bite is one of the best courses of action for guys as far as I can see.

Surely this is an approach which has a lessened effect with online dating as opposed to the in person? though I suppose from a legal standpoint might be better to do from the comforts of your own home behind a laptop screen;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Chatting to a girl on OKC, ask her out and she says she would like to go out with me "some time". A bit confused by the "some time" to be honest. :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement