Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Samich wrote: »
    Have tried sending messages to girls I had no interest in and didn't fancy to try and get some confidence but they reject me to :P

Thats not very nice (if true) is it?

Feigning interest just to massage your own ego?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ammsy500

Post's like this make me actually think that it would be a good idea to have "The Online Dating Thread" separate for both sexes. Okay but that might not sound fair but I'm sick of reading female posters complain about all the messages that they get, try being a guy on one of these sites and you'll have something to really complain about!

I've been on POF for 1 month, sent around 50 messages (no cut and paste jobs, each message was tailored for each individual) yet I've only gotten around 4 reply's which ran cold within a few days of exchanging messages.

It's just so frustrating! What is the ratio of men to women on these sites anyway? It seems like they are geared exclusively towards women which is rather pointless if you are a single guy looking to meet someone.

But isn't it better to see both sides to online dating from both perspectives. In my defence and most females on this yes we may get more messages but that's because men outnumber women on it. And honestly most of the messages are 'hey sxy wanna chat sum time' kind of messages. I would say for every 10 messages I get 1 of them actually has some thought in their message. Even if I'm not interested I'll try to respond to the message even just thanking for noticing something in my profile or whatever it may be.

And it's not just guys who don't get replies I've sent out plenty of messages and got nada back so it does happen to us too...or maybe just me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

ok.

These would be at the other end of the country so nothing would come of it anyways?

ok.

These would be at the other end of the country so nothing would come of it anyways?

Doesnt matter imo.

If someone did it to you would you like it?

No,you wouldnt so why do it to others?

Doesnt matter imo.

If someone did it to you would you like it?

No,you wouldnt so why do it to others?

Doesn't really matter seeing as they don't be interested anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I do send them sometimes, same result, still no reply. Have tried sending messages to girls I had no interest in and didn't fancy to try and get some confidence but they reject me to :P

If you're doing this, then I think its time to give the online dating a rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Larianne wrote: »

I have to agree. Its just not right on so many levels and really goes against the whole idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

Post's like this make me actually think that it would be a good idea to have "The Online Dating Thread" separate for both sexes. Okay but that might not sound fair but I'm sick of reading female posters complain about all the messages that they get, try being a guy on one of these sites and you'll have something to really complain about!

Well firstly I'd say my lack of success is no better or worse than anyone else's. Ultimately if you're not meeting someone that makes you go "Wow!" you're going to be unimpressed, however it manifests itself.

Plus what you're talking about is the other side of the issue women experience . Women join dating sites, get overwhelmed by mail (*) and then leave out of frustration. Men join dating sites, message lots of women but get few replies and then leave out of frustration.

(*) though some seem to end up getting no mail for reasons I've never figured out.
    I've been on POF for 1 month, sent around 50 messages (no cut and paste jobs, each message was tailored for each individual) yet I've only gotten around 4 reply's which ran cold within a few days of exchanging messages.

Someone mentioned earlier getting a reply to 10% of his mails. That's pretty much the average number unless you've got something really exceptional going for you. Just getting to the point where you're talking to anyone is damn hard work and then in most cases it just fizzles out anyway.
    It's just so frustrating! What is the ratio of men to women on these sites anyway? It seems like they are geared exclusively towards women which is rather pointless if you are a single guy looking to meet someone.

A good ratio is usually 2 men for every woman but it's often a lot more. No I have absolutely no idea where all the single women are either.

Last time I checked on okcupid it was 2:1 but once I started being more specific for age range and match percentage there were about 8 guys around my age and approximately as compatible with them as me (based on okcupid's matching algorithm).

Those are really awful odds.

Larianne wrote: »

I've done it once or twice, but alright.

KTRIC wrote: »
    I have to agree. Its just not right on so many levels and really goes against the whole idea.

Well I'm looking for friends aswell soooooooooo...who's the say I was messaging them to go out with them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,125 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Really??? By the time you delete the:

Hi sexy
    Can I sniff em - yes I did get that one!
    Ur hot
    and so on - you get left with 1 message! I have lost count of the number of message I send out that gets deleted so it happens to everyone. Its just that most women don't send those type of messages!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Discodog wrote: »
    It wasn't me :D...........but my last girlfriend was half my age & I am in my 40's. It is not unheard of & I have been chatted up by lots of girls way younger than me. It might not be for you but it suits others.
    Do you have a note on your profile saying "please do not contact me if your are over ...." ?. Some sites allow you to specify the criteria of who can & cannot message you.

I has a age bracket specified. Men just don't seem to actually read profiles!

• Administrators Posts: 53,842 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

mood wrote: »

Are you using PoF Mood?

Isnt there a feature that you can block people outside of certain age brackets sending you the first mail?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Discodog wrote: »
    But in reality relationships aren't about what you have in common.

This. In fact you can have too much in common which can have drastic knock on effects if things don't work out. The last woman I was seriously involved in shared my love for palaeontology. Things ended badly between us and now one of my favourite things in the whole world brings bitter memories to my mind :(

It's not nice at all. I'm pretty sure I've had girls do that with me and it's a real pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

mood wrote: »

Some sexist men might say that they don't because women say one thing & mean another :D

Im not usually online this hour of the night! Seems like the men on POF tonight are weirder than the ones on during the day! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭finipops

Dovies wrote: »
    Im not usually online this hour of the night! Seems like the men on POF tonight are weirder than the ones on during the day! :eek:
    How? What makes them different from the others during the day?

finipops wrote: »
    How? What makes them different from the others during the day?

You get normal conversations during the day. Seems at night the 'can I come round for coffee' or 'come over to mine' lines come out and these are from people that I have never spoken to before.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

So you met someone that you liked & that appeared to like you. Why wouldn't you be an eager beaver - I would of been. All you did was to be honest with how you felt & you should carry on doing it. Don't change because of the attitudes of others.

Thanks for that, I can to the same conclusion. I have also concluded that internet dating is not for me, or at least POF/OKC / connected singles because I am fed up with e-mails that are lewd, the cancelled dates, the general flakiness and pure frustration levels or the odd men that want to be married at the word hello which is pure scary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

johnr1 wrote: »
    You'd be surprised about some of our ages here, I'm 38 but don't act it, also separated & waiting, and there are a few others who have posted here who are in their 30s and 40s.
    Life stage is as important as age IMO, I'm meeting many women my age who have their children reared and gone, while I've yet to have any.
    Not sorry I did the online thing, but it's best to concentrate effort where the results are.

It seems that there are quite a few of us hanging around :cool:

I'm 43 and tyring the online dating thing...and all that it entails ..

I find it quite funny the amount of messages (Hi sxy) from lads in their early twenties. I often wonder of I did just message them back and say I need them now ..would they chicken out?

Not that I would :D

Date next Friday ...

foxinsox wrote: »
    I find it quite funny the amount of messages (Hi sxy) from lads in their early twenties. I often wonder of I did just message them back and say I need them now ..would they chicken out?

Date next Friday ...

Yeah of course they would! :P:eek:
    Ooh good luck with the date.

On another note I wonder how many of us have had a date with the same people?? :eek:

Back to this, if you were in my position and looking for friends also and sent a message to a girl, (she wouldn't know straight away if it's friends or something more I'm interested in) and I send a pic and she happens to like me and I say I'm only looking for friends, how is that a bad thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Dovies wrote: »
    Yeah of course they would! :P:eek:
    Ooh good luck with the date.

On another note I wonder how many of us have had a date with the same people?? :eek:

Or each other

Back to this, if you were in my position and looking for friends also and sent a message to a girl, (she wouldn't know straight away if it's friends or something more I'm interested in) and I send a pic and she happens to like me and I say I'm only looking for friends, how is that a bad thing?

Thats not what you said,this is what you said.
    I do send them sometimes, same result, still no reply. Have tried sending messages to girls I had no interest in and didn't fancy to try and get some confidence but they reject me to :P

You messaged people you had no interest in and didnt fancy in an attempt to get replies for no other reason but to boost your own ego.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Or each other

Done that

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Thats not what you said,this is what you said.

You messaged people you had no interest in and didnt fancy in an attempt to get replies for no other reason but to boost your own ego.

ok I didn't have any interest in them as more than friends no, but as friends if they were sound I would. Also I don't have an ego.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Date today went well! :) I was working unfortunately, so we just grabbed lunch. Conversation was flowing and chemistry is defo there! Although I'm still a tad shy with her briefly for a second or two sometimes, shes so pretty. :o

Date 5 planned next, yay!

ok I didn't have any interest in them as more than friends no, but as friends if they were sound I would. Also I don't have an ego.

To me you saying you dont fancy someone means you arent attracted to them.

Saying you have no interest in someone says to me you have no interest in them in any way at all,friends or otherwise.

Also,everyone has some level of ego.You said yourself you have tried to get replies from people you had no interest in in order to gain some confidence.That is an ego or an attempt to build one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Done that

After looking at the pics thread I noticed that I have as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement