Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭amacca

G-Money wrote: »
    The only problem with the real life thingy is you've no idea if the person is single or not and often you only find when she uses it as a missile to shoot you down in flames.

yes...well admittedly that is a big flaw in my plan and recently had this happen to me after I thought the girl (I actually liked for a change) was giving me all the right signals (still not sure if it was wishful thinking or there was something there as she did'nt use it as a missile she just seemed a bit awkward about it)................but then again you get shot down by singles too so................that's just part of the process

I just dont have much faith in the whole online thing for me at any rate + I dont like the idea of public profiles visible to anyone that joins (which is probably outdated but hey)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

A quick question for the ladies......

Ok so a stunningly beautiful and successfully lady wants to meet me. We have been emailing for a couple of weeks. Now I am currently interning so not making much money.she is aware I am retraining. It won't be like this forever but as you can imagine it can hinder dating somewhat when wanting to make a first
    Impression. So firstly would this be an issue for you if the guy was not making much money?

Secondly I want to know about a good first date. I used to always go for dinner/drinks etc but this is currently not an option financially. So I was thinking a picnic. I'm thinking about cooking up a few small things, curry, stir fry, fruit, dessert, wine maybe and bringing her to a park. Would this be a good idea? Never made a picnic before so if it is a good idea is there anything I am missing or do you have any other suggestions?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

frag420 wrote: »

Ok so a stunningly beautiful and successfully lady wants to meet me. We have been emailing for a couple of weeks. Now I am currently interning so not making much money.she is aware I am retraining. It won't be like this forever but as you can imagine it can hinder dating somewhat when wanting to make a first
    Impression. So firstly would this be an issue for you if the guy was not making much money?

Secondly I want to know about a good first date. I used to always go for dinner/drinks etc but this is currently not an option financially. So I was thinking a picnic. I'm thinking about cooking up a few small things, curry, stir fry, fruit, dessert, wine maybe and bringing her to a park. Would this be a good idea? Never made a picnic before so if it is a good idea is there anything I am missing or do you have any other suggestions?

Cheers

No - money won't concern me.

No - picnic not a good idea IMO. It's far too cold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

frag420 wrote: »

Cheers

I wouldn't be bothered about the money a guy was making or not making, the fact that you are doing an internship says to me that you are doing something to better yourself and further your career, that says enough about someone for me.

The picnic sounds lovely... but.. (imo only)

I wouldn't advise it for a first date... I would suggest meet for coffee and sure you can see from there, it gives both of you a chance for out.

I don't want to put you off, but I just had a date where I had chatted/emailed to a guy for two weeks, thought it would be perfect..

Alas, when we met, zero attraction on my part..just remember that sometimes text/typing just can't beat the good ol fashioned face to face meet, no matter how stunningly beautiful either person is in pics.

You will only know then how you both feel...

Best of luck on your date, I hope it goes well.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Money isn't an issue, most of us have been there!

Too cold for a picnic. Meeting for 2 coffees some evening (Starbucks opens late) won't cost that much! Best of luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

foxinsox wrote: »
    The picnic sounds lovely... but.. (imo only)

I wouldn't advise it for a first date... I would suggest meet for coffee and sure you can see from there, it gives both of you a chance for out.

I don't want to put you off, but I just had a date where I had chatted/emailed to a guy for two weeks, thought it would be perfect..

Alas, when we met, zero attraction on my part..just remember that sometimes text/typing just can't beat the good ol fashioned face to face meet, no matter how stunningly beautiful either person is in pics.

You will only know then how you both feel...

Best of luck on your date, I hope it goes well.

:)

I agree with the above. The picnic sounds like a lovely idea, I'd be delighted if someone did that for me, but not on a first date when you havent met before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Cheers for the replies,

I guess it's a flagon of cider and chips in the park then ha ha.

Well if she as sound as you guys then il be grand. Must pick a day now,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

rebelwoman wrote: »
    Well Amacca if you find it make sure to let the rest of know about it.lol

Salsa classes can be great for the men as the women often way outnumber them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭rebelwoman

Actually Zumba classes could possibly be the way to go. Hundreds of women and minimal men.;) Now what is the equivalent for us women:D

Actually Zumba classes could possibly be the way to go. Hundreds of women and minimal men.;) Now what is the equivalent for us women:D

Salsa is much more sensual ;)

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    Salsa classes can be great for the men as the women often way outnumber them :D

now there's an idea and presumably one would be able to dance a little better in a nightclub type situation

hate dancing (always feel like either a plank or someone having an attack of some sort) but will see if any of these going on near me.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭rebelwoman

Dead right DD Salsa is definitely more sensual but at the moment you will get more women at Zumba. Would definitely prefer Salsa myself;)

Zumba is a fitness class. It's not a dance class. I doubt any woman wants to meet when while trying to loose weight/tone up when they are looking red sweaty etc.

amacca wrote: »
    but will see if any of these going on near me.

I was amazed to see a poster in a village pub so curiosity got the better of me. There were about 12 females from 18 to 50 & 2 men which were in couples with their partners & me :D. The poor women looked horrified & "paired up" with their friends.

The hilarious bit came when the instructor made us change partners every 10 minutes. He had a great sense of humour & announced "Now girls you get to dance with the strange men" :eek:.

But it was great craic & we all stayed after for a few drinks & a lot of laughter.
    mood wrote: »
    looking red sweaty etc.

Some might think it good to see how she will look after a few hours of housework :pac:

I was amazed to see a poster in a village pub so curiosity got the better of me. There were about 12 females from 18 to 50 & 2 men which were in couples with their partners & me :D. The poor women looked horrified & "paired up" with their friends.

The hilarious bit came when the instructor made us change partners every 10 minutes. He had a great sense of humour & announced "Now girls you get to dance with the strange men" :eek:.

But it was great craic & we all stayed after for a few drinks & a lot of laughter.

Some might think it good to see how she will look after a few hours of housework :pac:

HELLO it's not the 1950s (and it certainly wasn't a funny comment) :eek:

HELLO it's not the 1950s (and it certainly wasn't a funny comment) :eek:

I agree - I should of said after a few hours of passion :D. But as much as women like to guild the Lily he will see you at your worst so it has to be a good start if he fancies you when you look wrecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

Most of your advice is pretty universal but this bit is very subjective. Some girls would love to get a morning text.[/QUOTE]

I love a bit of morning text..... Oh wait!......Text?...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

Hi guys, I'm still lurking:) and saw that Salsa and Zumba have come up as suggestions.
    I agree totally with Mood, - Zumba is more of a fitness thing than anything else, but as a guy, youll be in demand at Salsa classes, due to there being a maybe 60/40 or 70/30 split in the classes I've been to in Dublin.

The age group seems to be 20 to 45, lots of other nationalities as well as Irish, in my experience,- you'll make great friends, get invited to parties, and best of all, you'll (after a few weeks/months) be able to walk into a Salsa club anywhere, and ask the pretty girl up to dance without a thought. :D
    Batchata (another dance) is often taught as well, it's easier than Salsa, and gives you the chance to get in close as you get to know someone better.

There are classes all over the country, word to the wise,- if you can find a class that does "Cuban" salsa, go for it, it's less silly twirls and more about the rhythm, also, you change partner regularly, which means you get to meet everybody.

Depending on age, set dancing can also be good to meet someone, I've noticed the age profile has gone up a wee bit since I used to be involved.

The thing with dancing in groups or couples is the "let's get through this together without falling on our faces" kinda vibe which promotes closeness quicker than other night classes. Also, the physicality of holding someone's hand or shoulder is pretty cool if you haven't done any coupled dance before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Definitely agree about the male/female ratio at salsa classes. I've gone a few times and it's actually a little annoying when there is a shortage of male partners because the male and female steps are different so if a girl has to dance with a girl, you end up learning the wrong steps. So the more men at salsa classes the better!

ChannelNo5 wrote: »
    I love a bit of morning text..... Oh wait!......Text?...;)

Apparently it is a cause of a lot of conflict. It is common for us chaps to have the urge in the morning, or any other time of day but I believe that it might not be so popular with the girls. Maybe it needs to be a screening question in one's profile :D

• Advertisement

hollypink wrote: »
    Definitely agree about the male/female ratio at salsa classes. I've gone a few times and it's actually a little annoying when there is a shortage of male partners because the male and female steps are different so if a girl has to dance with a girl, you end up learning the wrong steps. So the more men at salsa classes the better!

And of course the Latin male is supposed to take charge & lead the dance :D

I can remember the instructor, who was Cuban, saying to the women that "when the man lifts his arm you must twirl" & one of the girls replied that he had better be using deodorant :eek:

I wonder if some women might reply that they will twirl when they want to & not when a man tells them to !

And of course the Latin male is supposed to take charge & lead the dance :D

I can remember the instructor, who was Cuban, saying to the women that "when the man lifts his arm you must twirl" & one of the girls replied that he had better be using deodorant :eek:

I wonder if some women might reply that they will twirl when they want to & not when a man tells them to !

will let ye know how I get on at my first salsa lesson next week

+ looking into beginner self defense classes (mixed of course)

its all guns blazing to find amacca a new girlfriend in the real world I tells ya!

(hopefully I wont be forced back into the online thing)

I agree - I should of said after a few hours of passion :D. But as much as women like to guild the Lily he will see you at your worst so it has to be a good start if he fancies you when you look wrecked.

Fitness classes are not a social thing. I've been to plenty and people pick up their towel and water bottle and walk straight out the door after it finishes. Nobody hangs around chatting/flirting/going for drink afterwards.

Fitness classes are not a social thing. I've been to plenty and people pick up their towel and water bottle and walk straight out the door after it finishes. Nobody hangs around chatting/flirting/going for drink afterwards.

I agree. Also some women might wonder if you are there for the wrong reasons :eek:. Salsa is much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

What's the craic with supposedly straight males visiting my profile on OKC?

Anyone getting this much?

Annoys me a little for some reason. Guess its the whole "someone is checking you out" and it turns out to be a bloke and I'm just like, ffs... checking out the competition or something? lol

bah.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I agree. Also some women might wonder if you are there for the wrong reasons :eek:. Salsa is much better.

I hate dancing - I was always, and still am, the one who minds the handbags and drinks! Tried other classes though and I ended up with loads of women or married men! :(

Didnt 'end up' with then but you know what I mean!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ammsy500

Speaking of different places to meet people I know two girls who met their partners playing badminton. Ones married with a baby now and the other well any day they'll be engaged! Now word of warning these two girls are very sporty :p but I remember them telling all levels join and are welcome. They have loads of social nights aswell so it's no wonder many of them have hooked up! Hmm maybe I should join :D

Chatting to a really nice guy on okcupid...have a date for next week planned :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Busy Lizzie

Hey Everyone!

I'm still lurking on this thread. I asked previously if anyone used sites like maybefriends or anotherfriend but I've already given up on them myself and think I may need to sign up to POF! Something I wanted to avoid, but alot of people use it, and I've seen some success stories on here, so might as well try it myself.

I wanted to know though, how private can you make your profile. I think I saw something here about restricting the age of people who can contact you. Im wondering can you block people from seeing you before you have any contact with them?

Hi Lizzie,

You can make yourself completely invisible & only contact people who appeal to you or you can choose not to post a photo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

OK, getting ready to send a few more mails, the lack of replies still gets discouraging! Think I've spotted 2 boardsies as well, can we name names? :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement