Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

ChannelNo5 wrote: »
    Oh my god!! Look at him! He's gorgoeus!!!

Yep if he was my profile pic I might get some offers. Add in the fact that I rescued him from being tied to the rocks at low tide & my halo would be complete :D

But, in reality, I am seen as insane by most women because I share my home with three rescue dogs - the other two are ladies :). I did look on a dating site for animal lovers but it had no Irish members :(. There would be few non negotiable factors on any profile of mine but liking animals would have to be one.

My "matchmaking" neighbours invited me to a dinner party together with their idea of my "match". She was very attractive with a nice personality until she "joked" that "if I were in that house the dogs would be outside" :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

Discodog wrote: »
    Yep if he was my profile pic I might get some offers. Add in the fact that I rescued him from being tied to the rocks at low tide & my halo would be complete :D:eek:

I would happily beat the living sh1te out of anyone who is cruel to animals and then i would tie them to rocks at low tide:mad:

Sorry we're going off topic here:) Aplogies. back to dating. Just had 4 photo's assesed by friend for possible profile pics and none of them are any good. This online dating is too stressful and i haven't even done my profile yet!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Yep if he was my profile pic I might get some offers. Add in the fact that I rescued him from being tied to the rocks at low tide & my halo would be complete :D

But, in reality, I am seen as insane by most women because I share my home with three rescue dogs - the other two are ladies :). I did look on a dating site for animal lovers but it had no Irish members :(. There would be few non negotiable factors on any profile of mine but liking animals would have to be one.

My "matchmaking" neighbours invited me to a dinner party together with their idea of my "match". She was very attractive with a nice personality until she "joked" that "if I were in that house the dogs would be outside" :eek:

I think it's disgraceful that the attractive lady made a joke. I mean, what is the world coming to??!!

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Sorry we're going off topic here:) Aplogies. back to dating. Just had 4 photo's assesed by friend for possible profile pics and none of them are any good. This online dating is too stressful and i haven't even done my profile yet!:(

Why would you want friends opinions? Its strangers you are trying to lure! :D:D:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

ah no you have to keep them in, I'd love to get a dog but circumstances don't allow right now.
    What frightens me though is some owners I know have given their dog fast food. ie. breast n buns with mayo, spare ribs etc

I cant help thinking its very dangerous for the dog.

Im getting really bored of the online dating though, they're either sending messages calling you love etc, or its like trying to blood out of a stone trying to chat

Dovies wrote: »
    Why would you want friends opinions? Its strangers you are trying to lure! :D:D:P

I agree. Send them to a really strange stranger like me & I will give an opinion. Stranger luring sounds like a great new sport - maybe we could start something & have a Boards stranger luring competition. :D
    I think it's disgraceful that the attractive lady made a joke. I mean, what is the world coming to??!!

The joke was that she wasn't joking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭finipops

I have a date thursday night and have been getting along with a girl texting nearly all week and i feel really comfortable talking to her so looking forward to meeting her thursday night.:D

Another girl on POF keeps saying to me "How are you?" when she sends me a message and it's hard trying to get a conversation out of her i think she resets every morning or something because i get asked the same thing.:p

"How are you ?" would be an accepted comment in any new communication. But I know what you mean. You spend ages writing a nice mail & she replies with a single line.

Some guy has just sent me a message
    'Im not bi or gay' :(:(

Yeah he had 2 sad faces things on the message. What?? Have I missed something?

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    In what way are they no good?

So long as you are smiling in them (and not doing some ridiculous pout) then you're grand really (and you're not wearing unsuitable attire ;) ).

Ridiculous pout?... Check! Yeah i am in one of them:(

Just wanted brutal honesty and kind of got it:o
    I agree. Send them to a really strange stranger like me & I will give an opinion. Stranger luring sounds like a great new sport - maybe we could start something & have a Boards stranger luring competition. :D

Ah but you don't know what i look like IRL so you wouldn't be able to comment on the airbrushed ones!!;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Anyone on Android having trouble with the POF app today?

Not on android today but it usually gives me grief anyway.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

It kind of suggests that he is looking for a gay lover but will accept a woman as he's had no luck :D
    Ah but you don't know what i look like IRL so you wouldn't be able to comment on the airbrushed ones!!wink.gif

Why guild the Lily :D ?. But in all seriousness the best pics are the most natural ones. The posed pics always remind me of Russian scammers - their pics are always perfect. I want to be attracted to the real person, which is why I wouldn't worry if she didn't have a pic. The best thing about any pic is if it conveys personality.

It's the same with a profile. As with a copy & paste message there is nothing worse than a profile that it written to make the person sound attractive rather than reflecting their character.

I once asked a female friend to write a profile for me - it was totally different to what I had written.

Oh jaysus! Don't know what to say Dovies!!...... There are no words!!...:confused:

Oh jaysus! Don't know what to say Dovies!!...... There are no words!!...:confused:

His 2nd message said - 'I love breasts'
    And they wonder why they cant get a date! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Maybe he meant smiley faces but got them the wrong way around!!

edit: just saw the second message so scratch that theory

awec wrote: »
    Ok, wasn't expecting that response.... :pac:

Ha ha no not in a serious way! A jokey silly way with my bestie:)

I take a rotten photo and if i smile i look like a lunatic! Remember in Friends where Chandler keeps gurning when they try to take his photo well thats me!:(

Hmm wonder if I put 'I love willies' on my profile would I get a date??
    :D:D:D:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭JimBob777

there's a couple of things i find hilarious about that pof site

60% of women put up 3 lines or less of boring topics and top it off with a "no pic no reply", "no creeps" and "dont say hi,how are you" comment.
    with such a profile what do they expect, divine inspiration from men to send an outstanding message?

also they are more concerned by their pouts in the photo's than their detailed profile which attracts shallow men and they wonder why?

its because their is more shallow women on that site then men and this isn't sour grapes its a fact.
    100% dont reply a simple "thanks for the nice message,but im not interested"
    easy to copy and paste to men who actually took 5-10 minutes to write a thoughtful message...
    just goes to show women care about looks just as much men only... they don't initiate first contact so they don't have to compliment the guy on looks as such in order to get a response.

i know men can text some disrespectful things to women on that site and concentrate solely on looks but at least their trying to initiate contact in some shape or form.

women seem to slate men to no end in their profiles but if a men do something similar in theirs its suicide,hah

of course im not saying all women are shallow, far from it... and maybe there is as many shallow men on it,i dont think im wrong though
    iv talked to some great people on it so its not all bad but its annoying at the best of times.

• Advertisement

And they wonder why they cant get a date! :rolleyes:

He's a keeper!!:pac: Grab him quick before all the other ladies get to him!!:D

JimBob777 wrote: »
    there's a couple of things i find hilarious about that pof site

60% of women put up 3 lines or less of boring topics and top it off with a "no pic no reply", "no creeps" and "dont say hi,how are you" comment.
    with such a profile what do they expect, divine inspiration from men to send an outstanding message?

We expect a little bit more than "I like breasts" and "here's a picture of my willie!"

also they are more concerned by their pouts in the photo's than their detailed profile which attracts shallow men and they wonder why?

its because their is more shallow women on that site then men and this isn't sour grapes its a fact.

This is bullsh1t and is not a FACT.

100% dont reply a simple "thanks for the nice message,but im not interested"
    easy to copy and paste to men who actually took 5-10 minutes to write a thoughtful message...
    just goes to show women care about looks just as much men only... they don't initiate first contact so they don't have to compliment the guy on looks as such in order to get a response.

You think this only happens to men? Many women do initiate contact and do get knocked back or not replied to

i know men can text some disrespectful things to women on that site and concentrate solely on looks but at least their trying to initiate contact in some shape or form.

Oh well thats alright then! As long as they are contacting you regardless that they are insulting you

women seem to slate men to no end in their profiles but if a men do something similar in theirs its suicide,hah

of course im not saying all women are shallow, far from it... and maybe there is as many shallow men on it,i dont think im wrong though
    iv talked to some great people on it so its not all bad but its annoying at the best of times.

What? so only the women on dating sites? Have you actually read the posts on this thread from all the lovely genuine ladies and lads that give an insight into what a minefield it can be for both genders and the strength for us all to laugh about it. Not one of the ladies i've met that posts on here is shallow. FACT:mad:

I take a rotten photo and if i smile i look like a lunatic!

I was going to say that you should get someone else to take it then :p

As the late, great Ian Drury sang:

"Hit me with your rhythm stick
    It's nice to be a lunatic"

In some ways a gorgeous girl with a perfect pic can be a turn off. You know that she is going to be inundated with offers. I find it genuinely sad that women sometimes lack the confidence to be themselves. Thousands of women are suffering anxiety over breast implants that, in an ideal world, should never of been needed except in special circumstances.

I actually once met a partner because she was buying makeup & I said that she didn't need it.
    And they wonder why they cant get a date!

I was hoping that by posting a pic of one of my puppies that the ladies would reciprocate :D

What? so only the women on dating sites? Have you actually read the posts on this thread from all the lovely genuine ladies and lads that give an insight into what a minefield it can be for both genders and the strength for us all to laugh about it. Not one of the ladies i've met that posts on here is shallow. FACT:mad:

the fact of the matter i was laughing about it as i stated at the start, and i did read alot of the thread and everyone seems nice yeah :) just because i said 50/60% does not mean its applies to YOU or necessarily anyone else on this thread.of course people who take the time to write meaningful comments on this thread are going to write good profiles and i know its not a fact its just the way i phrased it.
    i can see that it came across as a rant but it was general observations and impressions about being new to the site,not meant be taken that serious

I was hoping that by posting a pic of one of my puppies that the ladies would reciprocate :D

Bwhahahaha Discodog! You're a dog!!:p I mean it in the nicest possible way of course;)

JimBob777 wrote: »
    the fact of the matter i was laughing about it as i stated at the start, and i did read alot of the thread and everyone seems nice yeah :) just because i said 50/60% does not mean its applies to YOU or necessarily anyone else on this thread.of course people who take the time to write meaningful comments on this thread are going to write good profiles and i know its not a fact its just the way i phrased it.
    i can see that it came across as a rant but it was general observations and impressions about being new to the site,not meant be taken that serious

We on this thread ARE the women on these dating sites and i'm not going to get into a drawn out he said she said arguement but the tone of your post was not funny or jokey.

If the wimmins come on here slagging off the men they get short shrift and rightly so. Come on man, lighten up. We're here to support one another and have a laugh at each others messed up experiences;)

We on this thread ARE the women on these dating sites and i'm not going to get into a drawn out he said she said arguement but the tone of your post was not funny or jokey.

If the wimmins come on here slagging off the men they get short shrift and rightly so. Come on man, lighten up. We're here to support one another and have a laugh at each others messed up experiences;)

i didn't want to argue in the first place but i see now my comment was argumental. i was just trying to encourage that personality should be more portayed instead of looks on the site.
    as for women getting knocked back most of the messages i get are just a "hi" so iv never had to knock back a detailed message.

i only portrayed my opinion in my point of view of the site which i thought was the point and didn't mean to offend anyone.

the initial comment was rubbish and was meant to come across as why "i dont take the site serious".... instead i obviously just came across as "man i take pof way too serious" hah.apologies for that and anyone who thought my comment was slating women on this thread.
    iv learned a lot from this thread about online dating, so thanks to everyone for that. :)

Bwhahahaha Discodog! You're a dog!!:p I mean it in the nicest possible way of course;)

Isn't it weird how we use the term "Dog" as an insult to women - yet a dog is supposedly man's best friend ? The same could apply to the "C" word :confused:.

How can you know which pics will appeal to which person ? At the end of the day I would far rather fall in love with the person than with their looks - at least then I will be prepared for the wrinkles :D. My late grandfather once horrified a dinner table by telling us lads to "avoid a woman who wears a girdle" !

It is very difficult to convey charm & personality in a written profile especially as many readers will assume that you are lying. Some will write you off because you are too old, too young, too thin, too fat etc etc etc. So all of your hard work on choosing each word is wasted.

I accept that women can have a hard time online but I am certain that, on balance, it is much harder for the men - especially as many women don't know what they really want. She wants him to be tough & protective but tender & compassionate, great craic but also understanding & serious.

If you talk to elderly people about what makes a successful relationship it often boils down to compromise - boring old give & take. Online dating removes this from the equation. If he/she isn't 100%, or close to it, you can find someone who is. Maybe that's why some people have been on these sites for years ? I have always thought that Plenty of Fish is a dreadful name for a relationship site - it implies that you don't need to make the effort because someone else will come along :).

• Advertisement

It is very difficult to convey charm & personality in a written profile especially as many readers will assume that you are lying.

Previously on my profile I stated things like how I love doing things for other people, I'm caring, like giving massages and basically other stuff like that - all true. You'd be amazed how many women thought I was lying.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement