Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭JimBob777

Discodog wrote: »
    Isn't it weird how we use the term "Dog" as an insult to women - yet a dog is supposedly man's best friend ? The same could apply to the "C" word :confused:.

How can you know which pics will appeal to which person ? At the end of the day I would far rather fall in love with the person than with their looks - at least then I will be prepared for the wrinkles :D. My late grandfather once horrified a dinner table by telling us lads to "avoid a woman who wears a girdle" !

It is very difficult to convey charm & personality in a written profile especially as many readers will assume that you are lying. Some will write you off because you are too old, too young, too thin, too fat etc etc etc. So all of your hard work on choosing each word is wasted.

I accept that women can have a hard time online but I am certain that, on balance, it is much harder for the men - especially as many women don't know what they really want. She wants him to be tough & protective but tender & compassionate, great craic but also understanding & serious.

If you talk to elderly people about what makes a successful relationship it often boils down to compromise - boring old give & take. Online dating removes this from the equation. If he/she isn't 100%, or close to it, you can find someone who is. Maybe that's why some people have been on these sites for years ? I have always thought that Plenty of Fish is a dreadful name for a relationship site - it implies that you don't need to make the effort because someone else will come along :).

my view on it was you could find someone who appeals to you, by identifying by what they say in their profile and how they say it... and of course their looks plays an important part..but surely shouldnt be the most important part..
    after all you can get up the courage to talk to someone in a niteclub without knowing anything about them which may lead to disapointment based on their type of personality...
    online dating is also a chance to express yourself and your personality in your profile sober rather than half cut in a club,hah.
    i would rather have one genuine girl see my profile for what it was then 50 write if off as a lie and a fake...
    after all it only takes one great person to connect with... don't really see it as dating for the process of elimination as such or trying to appeal to everyone on the site

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Previously on my profile I stated things like how I love doing things for other people, I'm caring, like giving massages and basically other stuff like that - all true. You'd be amazed how many women thought I was lying.

I wouldn't but I also wouldn't blame the women because they will of probably met a lot of liars. Once any of us has been hurt by lies it does leave a scar & often the next innocent person who comes along gets the consequences.

I know that there would be a big market for a totally genuine dating site but I have no idea how one could achieve it.

Has anyone tried video dating ? I wonder of watching a video might reveal more about someone's real personality ?

We all need a laugh & this has just arrived in my inbox - I don't think she will sue for privacy :D

Hello! !
    Kate calls me, and I have your email address on the website Internet acquaintances found!
    I liked your profile, and I shall be very glad to continue if we are to avoid further!

Good , now I'm going to gritty to me.
    I never married and I have no children.
    I do not smoke, I turn the Vodka Nich
    Mmmm ..
    I have a dream to the main time: Since the current to find love, serious family to create in the
    There is a lot of luck!
    The trust and respect!
    The people of most important for the mogenden.

I will not write the long letter because I do not now have much time.
    I'm on your answer are waiting with impatience and eagerness I will answer all your questions.
    Say what you're dreaming? What are you looking for? What do you do for free time?

Good . I send you photography , and I hope that you will send me.
    I finish. I am waiting for your letter.

Bye ! the successful day.

your, Kate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭finipops

We all need a laugh & this has just arrived in my inbox - I don't think she will sue for privacy :D

Hello! !
    Kate calls me, and I have your email address on the website Internet acquaintances found!
    I liked your profile, and I shall be very glad to continue if we are to avoid further!

Good , now I'm going to gritty to me.
    I never married and I have no children.
    I do not smoke, I turn the Vodka Nich
    Mmmm ..
    I have a dream to the main time: Since the current to find love, serious
    family to create in the
    There is a lot of luck!
    The trust and respect!
    The people of most important for the mogenden.

I will not write the long letter because I do not now have much time.
    I'm on your answer are waiting with impatience and eagerness I will answer all your questions.
    Say what you're dreaming? What are you looking for? What do you do for free time?

Good . I send you photography , and I hope that you will send me.
    I finish. I am waiting for your letter.

Bye ! the successful day.

your, Kate!
    Looks like someone is using google translate.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

JimBob777 wrote: »
    and of course their looks plays an important part..but surely shouldnt be the most important part..

No but there has to be some attraction. I had 2 dates with the same guy recently. Lovely bloke, really chatty and I loved talking to him. HOWEVER the thought of kissing him (or anything else) really didn't appeal to me so I didnt see him again. Now I could have gone out with him again and hope that changed but why do that? If I felt the same a few dates down the line it wouldn't have been fair.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

awec wrote: »
    Google translate would do a better job of it than that!

The Russian ones are normally scammers but her English is so bad that she is probably genuine. Is "gritty" the Russian version of "down & dirty" ?.

"The people of most important for the mogenden." Mogadon are sleeping pills :eek:

"I turn the Vodka Nich" - we can all understand that bit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mc_grens

I just saw this profile under the name <mod snip>

Body type about average
    Hair platinum
    Children none
    Personality possessive
    Entertainment singles parties, dance shows
    Interests shopping/antiques, internet, cars, ...
    Sports weights / machines
    Smoking no way

From fame to misfortune
    Being in the limelight has it's problems for me - lots of fans, followers and guys who fancy me but hard to find Mr. Right. If you don't mind being papped with me, then send me a mail and lets see what happens!

Assuming they're not actually <mod snip> its a bit weird...

Dovies wrote: »
    No but there has to be some attraction. I had 2 dates with the same guy recently. Lovely bloke, really chatty and I loved talking to him. HOWEVER the thought of kissing him (or anything else) really didn't appeal to me so I didnt see him again. Now I could have gone out with him again and hope that changed but why do that? If I felt the same a few dates down the line it wouldn't have been fair.

You gave him two more chances than most would of given. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

McGrens,do not,under any circumstances,post names of non users of this forum,its a legal mine field whether its a genuine profile or not.

• Advertisement

McGrens,do not,under any circumstances,post names of non users of this forum,its a legal mine field whether its a genuine profile or not.

Apologies. I thought it would be OK since she's a (minor) celebrity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

That could be worse considering it might be a fake profile.

That could be worse considering it might be a fake profile.

Understood. You can delete it all if you wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Discodog, I was just about to post that! I got the same message into my gmail inbox!

Discodog, I was just about to post that! I got the same message into my gmail inbox!

So she is two timing me or you - I saw her first :D

she's a hottie though isn't she? I assume you got the same picture as me - long blonde hair?

she's a hottie though isn't she? I assume you got the same picture as me - long blonde hair?

You pair going to fight over her? :eek::rolleyes:

Ukrainian - arguably the most beautiful women in the World.

No wonder she only had time to send me a short letter if she is emailing the World.

I wonder how she ended up with my email address & yours .......is this something to do with Boards :D

You pair going to fight over her? :eek::rolleyes:

No we are going to toss a coin to see who gets her & who gets you :p - note how I didn't mention winners or losers :D

Ukrainian - arguably the most beautiful women in the World.

No wonder she only had time to send me a short letter if she is emailing the World.

I wonder how she ended up with my email address & yours .......is this something to do with Boards :D

hmmm good point. i don't get a lot of spam, i'm pretty careful with my email address.

• Advertisement

No we are going to toss a coin to see who gets her & who gets you :p - note how I didn't mention winners or losers :D

Lol and ChannelNo5 makes 3!!

Lol and ChannelNo5 makes 3!!

Hang on I didn't say that I would share Rock Chick :D. When she does get her profile online she will have to guess if or whether the idiots messaging her are me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Why do people post pictures with other people in them??

Pembily wrote: »

I saw one girl with a profile picture of her and a friend. Both blonde- both fitted the info in the profile!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I know! Its a case of eeny meany miney mo. :cool:

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

mc_grens wrote: »
    I saw one girl with a profile picture of her and a friend. Both blonde- both fitted the info in the profile!
    Larianne wrote: »
    I know! Its a case of eeny meany miney mo. :cool:

How are you meant to know? :confused: I tend not to even look at those profiles, they annoy me :mad:

I just clicked on a profile of a cute guy, then I realised I met online YEARS ago, blast from the past :pac:

How are you meant to know? :confused: I tend not to even look at those profiles, they annoy me :mad:

I just clicked on a profile of a cute guy, then I realised I met online YEARS ago, blast from the past :pac:

I'll click in- there's always the chance that they have more than one picture on their profile. Im not going to moan in depth but the ones that annoy me are the ones where the girl posts a (usually very attractive) picture and says absolutely nothing about herself.

It's like "My looks should be enough for you!"

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I'd usually skip them too.

• Advertisement

mc_grens wrote: »
    I'll click in- there's always the chance that they have more than one picture on their profile. Im not going to moan in depth but the ones that annoy me are the ones where the girl posts a (usually very attractive) picture and says absolutely nothing about themselves.

It's like "My looks should be enough for you!"

Hahah I normally don't message short profiles but a I messaged a guy today as I loved his user name, yes I am that odd :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement