Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mc_grens

Pembily wrote: »
    Hahah I normally don't message short profiles but a I messaged a guy today as I loved his user name, yes I am that odd :pac:

I think I've done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Lon Dubh wrote: »
    I think you are being too self-negative about this. I know some women want a taller man, but there are others like me who couldn't care less. Personally I don't like to wear shoes with much of a heel so I am not sure if that is part of why they height issue wouldn't bother me.

Of course you are right. I do apologise, I was in a particularly ****ty mood at the time I admit. I appreciate what you are saying.

I think pretty much everyone can potentially meet someone that suits them.

I've been telling myself this for years. It can be hard for some Irish guys to meet someone as we can be quite a segregated nation at times. Not everyone grows up in circumstances where they are surround by various members of the opposite sex thus have that opportunity to meet 'the one'.

Thus we enter the world of online dating only to be reduced to mere statistics. Can be hard to stay positive at times after the years.
    I think personality is a lot more important than looks, but unfortunately it can be hard to get personality accross in a profile, and if the person does not have a good picture their profile might not get so many views.

Agreed. I don't think my personality will come off very great at all. I would feel kinda fake and dishonest if went out of my way to make some ridiculously witty profile and I dunno...it can feel a little embarrassing putting a tone of personal info up on a dating site sometimes.

Then, being the stereotypical Irish Internet Nerd personality type.... Listing a lot of my interests will massively turn off the bulk of women anyway...of those that were not already turned off by my height that is :p

As for pics, well yeah I obviously don't have a high opinion of myself physically :p But its also hard to find decent pics in the first place since i don't have many of myself thus have to grab some from friends, (embarrassing) a lot of which are blurry and I'm a little hard to make out. I dislike the idea of taking pictures of myself and putting those up but I did take stills from a video of me playing guitar and put those up just so people can make out my face a little more clearly. Very cheesy though.
    I put up a good bunch though as if I ever did get a date I'd hate for the girl to think I looked different in my pic's or get a disappointed surprise when they see me.

I really wanna be honest to people.

Some people as well don't really go for conventially "good looking" guys/women, so just because you think you don't rate high on the looks scale doesn't mean you won't find someone who is into you.

Well positive mental attitude and all that. Gotta keep hoping I suppose, thanks. :)
    Elessar wrote: »
    She's 5'3 I'm 5'12 or thereabouts. Tbh I think it's my pictures. I'm 26 but you'd be forgiven for thinking I'm about 19 or 20. Still have a boyish face - that turns a lot of women off, even in real life.

Think I'll update my profile and shorten it somewhat as maybe I say too much.

Well you don't have my issue regarding height at least but I have EXACTLY the same problem otherwise. I barley look like I'm out of my teens. Massive turn off for women.

Also yeah, had a massive profile written out before. Then removed most of it and now its kinda vague. I dunno its kinda hard to know what's right and whats wrong or how things will be perceived.

Honey-ec wrote: »

And I just replied to a guy who's only 5' 9". See, I'm not a complete b*tch.

:o

I guess the song is true in more ways than one:

(kidding :p )

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Busy Lizzie

This trawling through profiles is hard work!

Guys - can I just give you a little tip (though the guys on here prob dont need it!) Don't be negative in your profiles! I can't believe the amount of people who start off so negatively. Mentioning all kinds of stuff! Leave the ex out of it! ;)

Girls might be the same...but Im not looking at their profiles. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Larianne wrote: »
    If the right dude comes along, a small difference in height isn't going to matter. But it does feel weird kissing someone shorter than you. :o

Bring me my step!

tom-cruise-photo_298x411.jpg

There's kissing to be done!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Why do people post pictures with other people in them??

It's the people who post a picture of themselves with a much more attractive friend that I reeeeallly don't understand!

ETA: Just got a message off a guy who listed one of interests as "making money". Buh-bye!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

awec wrote: »
    ETA?

Estimated Time of Arrival?

Edited to Add!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Galvasean wrote: »
    Bring me my step!

tom-cruise-photo_298x411.jpg

There's kissing to be done!!

Stilts would make you more mobile! :p
    Honey-ec wrote: »
    ETA: Just got a message off a guy who listed one of interests as "making money". Buh-bye!

Maybe he works part time in the Mint?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Larianne wrote: »
    Stilts would make you more mobile! :p

I'm still working on my levitation technique but until then I'll just have to drink those mini cans of Coke to appear bigger.

• Advertisement

Maybe he's very entrepreneurial? Is that such a negative quality?

I would have been prepared to take it in a funny way if the rest of his profile hadn't been so obnoxious.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mc_grens

Galvasean wrote: »
    I'm still working on my levitation technique but until then I'll just have to drink those mini cans of Coke to appear bigger.

You could use one of those Back To The Future style hoverboards that Mattel is bringing out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭bubbuz

Online dating is so much like buying a car, the try before you buy kinda thing. I've dating online the past 2 years now ( on and off ) and have finally come to the conclusion that it just doesn't work, yep their maybe the lucky few just like in the lotto but on the whole it's just a cattle market of pretentious people, when you do eventually find someone you think you click with you only find out later down the line that they are not the person you initially thought they were and so have wasted a large amount of time for nothing ( ok so you have a bit of fun along the way but then...........nothing, back to square one ).
    For me personally, im going back to basics, living my life, enjoying doing the things that I like to do and sure if I meet someone along the way then....HOORAH.... happy days, but if not then at least I can rest assured knowing that im living my life the way I want and doing the things I want and enjoying MY life rather than becoming another pretentious statistic of online dating, spending my evenings scrolling through profile after profile and thinking hmmmm she looks cool, lets waste 6 months of my life getting to know her before moving on to the next......... naaaaa, feck that ****e, what will be will be is my motto, lifes too bloody short ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

bubbuz wrote: »
    Online dating is so much like buying a car, the try before you buy kinda thing. I've dating online the past 2 years now ( on and off ) and have finally come to the conclusion that it just doesn't work, yep their maybe the lucky few just like in the lotto but on the whole it's just a cattle market of pretentious people, when you do eventually find someone you think you click with you only find out later down the line that they are not the person you initially thought they were and so have wasted a large amount of time for nothing ( ok so you have a bit of fun along the way but then...........nothing, back to square one ).
    For me personally, im going back to basics, living my life, enjoying doing the things that I like to do and sure if I meet someone along the way then....HOORAH.... happy days, but if not then at least I can rest assured knowing that im living my life the way I want and doing the things I want and enjoying MY life rather than becoming another pretentious statistic of online dating, spending my evenings scrolling through profile after profile and thinking hmmmm she looks cool, lets waste 6 months of my life getting to know her before moving on to the next......... naaaaa, feck that ****e, what will be will be is my motto, lifes too bloody short ;)

That's great, delighted for you, I've kinda made a simar decision recently, (and then it worked) but to come on this thread having not contributed to it already (if I'm wrong I apologize) and completely dismiss all people here who do online dating as pretentious is bad manners, and factually incorrect. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

It's also too short to read posts that don't have correct spelling or grammar!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Online dating is so much like buying a car, the try before you buy kinda thing.

At the LL drinks the other night we compared it to looking for a hotel!
    Before the internet you booked a hotel on recommendation or what you knew.

Then the dawn of cyderspace and you were spoiled for choice. Now the 'hotels' you want are full and the ones that entice you in with special offers are 'hostels'! :D:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

Little help anyone?
    Random guy 8:46:39 AM
    Alright doll, here's another one... what is greater than God... more evil than the devil... the poor have it... the rich need it... and if you eat it you will die?

I'll tell ya what, if ya don't get it by tonight you have to go on a date
    with me ha

I'm not letting him win this! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

Discodog wrote: »
    Hang on I didn't say that I would share Rock Chick :D. When she does get her profile online she will have to guess if or whether the idiots messaging her are me :p

You're a bit possessive Dd! I'll know it's you if you send me "mail no other man, you're mine rock chick" messages:D

I'm working on the profile it's the pics are the problem:(

Little help anyone?

It's nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

Little help anyone?

Nothing!! :D

Ah Pembily you beat me to it!!

• Advertisement

It's nothing!
    ChannelNo5 wrote: »
    Nothing!! :D

Hah, brilliant! Thanks girls :)

*goes off to find next riddle*

Hah, brilliant! Thanks girls :)

*goes off to find next riddle*

Primary kids get it, post primary don't! I love riddles :)

Primary kids get it, post primary don't! I love riddles :)

You can have his username if you want, all we've been doing is swapping riddles! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭bubbuz

johnr1 wrote: »
    That's great, delighted for you, I've kinda made a simar decision recently, (and then it worked) but to come on this thread having not contributed to it already (if I'm wrong I apologize) and completely dismiss all people here who do online dating as pretentious is bad manners, and factually incorrect. :mad:

I never intended for my post to annoy or upset anyone and if it did then I apologize, and you're right I've not posted on here before but just happened to come across this thread and thought id put my views across ( thinking that was the whole idea of boards ). All I was trying to say was that from my own experiences and those of friends of mine ( female and male ) is that a lot of people ( and certainly not all ) can almost be a totally different person behind a computer screen than they are in real life. Again, I truly apologize if my post offended anyone as that was far from my intentions.

That would be "posts", Pem. :pac:

*runs and hides*

I beat you to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Busy Lizzie

Seriously?!! Online dating has prevented you from living your life?! In that case, maybe it's not for you. With an attitude like that I can't see you attracting anyone. I live my life like I've highlighted above, and yes if I meet someone either online or 'in real life' that's a bonus, but regardless of how we met there'll still be the same obstacles that occur in all relationships.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Message on POF just there:
    Your ears are very lickable looking

:eek::eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement