Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

Galvasean wrote: »
    So much innuendo... so little time!

Gwan go for it..... You know you want to;)

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭puzzle factory

getting messages on pof in text speak, god-damnit wouldn't mind but im clue less when it comes to text speak,takes me 5 minutes to decifer the message,does it wreck yer heads or am on my own with this rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

So done a bit of profile adjusting again.
    Was trying to be honest about what im studying and my ideal job but maybe it screamed to geeky/nerdy for some girls so ive taken that part out.
    Made a few other small changes but thats the main one.
    Very curious as to whether it will make any difference because if it does it will be very telling about how girls on the site think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

VinLieger wrote: »
    So done a bit of profile adjusting again.
    Was trying to be honest about what im studying and my ideal job but maybe it screamed to geeky/nerdy for some girls so ive taken that part out.
    Made a few other small changes but thats the main one.
    Very curious as to whether it will make any difference because if it does it will be very telling about how girls on the site think.

To me that seems like a sad thing to have to do. besides it being kinda pointless. I mean I know you want to get more girls to respond, but if what you're interested in puts girls off, they're either very shallow or just not for you anyway, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Galvasean wrote: »
    So much innuendo... so little time!

Especially when they won't let me see their puppies :D

• Advertisement

To me that seems like a sad thing to have to do. besides it being kinda pointless. I mean I know you want to get more girls to respond, but if what you're interested in puts girls off, they're either very shallow or just not for you anyway, surely?

Oh i agree but at this stage im willing to try it just to strike up a chat, what im worried about is them reading it and the typical stereotype popping into their heads and them just ignoring me because of that.
    That being said i may just be completely paranoid about the whole thing and nothing will change

Oh i agree but at this stage im willing to try it just to strike up a chat, what im worried about is them reading it and the typical stereotype popping into their heads and them just ignoring me because of that.
    That being said i may just be completely paranoid about the whole thing and nothing will change

well i suppose as long as you mention it once you get chatting to them. just doesn't seem right that you should hold back on a whole area of your life just because they'll judge. but i get your reasons anyway, it's just a pity you feel the need

well i suppose as long as you mention it once you get chatting to them. just doesn't seem right that you should hold back on a whole area of your life just because they'll judge. but i get your reasons anyway, it's just a pity you feel the need

No i deffinitely wouldnt hide it if i got chatting to someone, in fact its something im quite proud of and i usually have to stop myself from talking about it as i enjoy it so much, which is why its a pity i feel i may be being judged for it on the site but we'll see how it goes

No i deffinitely wouldnt hide it if i got chatting to someone, in fact its something im quite proud of and i usually have to stop myself from talking about it as i enjoy it so much, which is why its a pity i feel i may be being judged for it on the site but we'll see how it goes

i'm so curious now as to what it is! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

i'm so curious now as to what it is! :)

I know what it is, its
    ..Nah, I'm just kidding, I have no idea what it is, which means that ya'll been served by a classic Bamboozle by Panthro..mwahahahaha!..

I'm rapidly loosing faith in Online dating, not a message in decades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I've only had the one message in ages and it was the one that I couldn't do anything with. I may have to start sending some messages myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I've only had the one message in ages and it was the one that I couldn't do anything with. I may have to start sending some messages myself.

I was doing the same, waiting for messages, used to get quite a few on POF and nothing on OKC. Even though both profiles were nearly identical.

I was interested in none of the people I got messages from, just weren't my type. When I did send messages to people I liked I got no reply either :confused: granted they didn't have pictures of my cock or car included so maybe thats where I went wrong :rolleyes:

On a sub note, this is a great thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I think that's how this thing works. From what I gather, girls get far more messages than guys so it does make sense that the bulk of decent chats I've had, any dates I've had, have started with messages I've received rather than those I've sent. It's just the maths of the situation.

My profile has been up there off and on (mainly off, to be fair) for two years so I'd guess that most girls on there will have seen it and therefore waiting for messages probably isn't a great idea. Going to have to start doing some fishing if I want to get anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Think the sites tend to be a feast or a famine. I either have no messages for days or I get days where I have 4/5 each time I log on. Beginning to think the men mail each other and choose 1 person to all message!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Dovies wrote: »
    Think the sites tend to be a feast or a famine. I either have no messages for days or I get days where I have 4/5 each time I log on. Beginning to think the men mail each other and choose 1 person to all message!

I'd be more inclined to think it's just batches of new people signing up when that happens.

Didn't log on everyday myself because it would of been the same profiles that I wasn't interested in. So used to wait for the next wave... so to say...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I'm getting majorly bored with POF; I seem to only be getting hit up by the hook-up artists. That and loads of people who live in California, for some reason. We possibly have POF's dodgy location-based services to thank for that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I'm getting majorly bored with POF; I seem to only be getting hit up by the hook-up artists. That and loads of people who live in California, for some reason. We possibly have POF's dodgy location-based services to thank for that...

When I was on match.com I got a lot of messages/winks from men abroad (as far away as Peru - kind of difficult to meet up for a coffee :p). I found it very strange that I'd even show up in their search results but maybe match also had dodgy location-based services!

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

hollypink wrote: »
    When I was on match.com I got a lot of messages/winks from men abroad (as far away as Peru - kind of difficult to meet up for a coffee :p). I found it very strange that I'd even show up in their search results but maybe match also had dodgy location-based services!

I had the same thing. I think that it is something to do with being able to send out a "message blast" to lots of people at once. I received loads of messages from around the World but none from Ireland :D
    Beginning to think the men mail each other and choose 1 person to all message!

Hunting in packs requires a lot of intelligence & these are the same men who send out pics of their willy tongue.gif

In any event it would be the last thing that we would do - we secretly hope that we are the only one sending her mail biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Do I have a right to be p*ssed off? Cos I am :mad:

So after a successful date 2 with a girl I actually click with last week we arranged to meet again today and I text her to arrange something tonight. Lo and behold she's broke (yet is out having drinks with a friend) and when I ask does she want to go for a walk (I can pick her up) she says no thanks. It's one thing to say no on the off, but when you've both arranged a day to see each other it's really f*cking rude. I like her, but she's a bit of a madam it seems. I could have arranged to go out with my mates tonight!!!

I think dating is just a side project for her to boost her ego and make her feel good whenever it suits her but she's not really into it. She could have had the decency to tell me that at the beginning. But nope. Not even a "dont think it's working" text, just don't make any effort and hope I go away :mad:

We were texting away last night though, she even asked me to stay up longer to continue :confused:

Am I overreacting?

• Advertisement

I don't really think you're over reacting. If you said you'd meet today, and she's made other plans, well that is rude. she doesn't seem that interested. i'd say let her be.

I don't really think you're over reacting. If you said you'd meet today, and she's made other plans, well that is rude. she doesn't seem that interested. i'd say let her be.

I have to agree and the texting last night was probably due to boredom on her side.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I think I need to take a break from POF. Getting tired of would love to meet nice guy. I am a very nice person, very honest but totally confused by what the women on POF are actually looking for.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭JimBob777

I think I need to take a break from POF. Getting tired of would love to meet nice guy. I am a very nice person, very honest but totally confused by what the women on POF are actually looking for.

they say that but i dont think the nice guy approach works, i think women love a challenge and even though coming across as a really nice guy is endearing in your profile, it doesnt work because maybe it lacks that charisma and excitement factor,
    maybe this is where im going wrong too? :)

I'd like to think I'm a nice guy as well, but as you guys said its not what women want

I'll leave you with this to ponder over....

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yep, I hear that. Big time.

Honey-ec wrote: »

I wouldn't mind a nice yank! :D

I wouldn't mind a nice yank! :D

:eek:

Ah yank, sorry :D

KTRIC wrote: »
    :eek:

Ah yank, sorry :D

:eek: :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

JimBob777 wrote: »
    they say that but i dont think the nice guy approach works, i think women love a challenge and even though coming across as a really nice guy is endearing in your profile, it doesnt work because maybe it lacks that charisma and excitement factor,
    maybe this is where im going wrong too? :)

Nah, wouldn't agree with this. Most women want to go out with someone who is 'nice'. If someone was challenging to start with then I wouldn't give him the time of day tbh. You can be nice and still be charismatic. I'd say just be yourself Captain Havoc :)

I've actually had to get the garda involved with the last guy I met on okcupid!He's been stalking me at work, and followed me home and has turned up at my house numerous time,making a lot of noise late at night.We only went on one date, and I think he just built me up into something amazing. I know the same thing could have happened if I met someone in a pub, but has turned me off okcupid for a while!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement